Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thunderbird issues

Default Thunderbird issues

New openSuse user here but long time Linux user.

I installed and updated openSuse 12.3 KDE today with no problems. After installing Thunderbird email I am unable to get it to work send or receive. I have verified all the information is correct. When I try to download email the message at the bottom reads "looked up pop.att.yahoo.com".

I used Thunderbird in the previous Linux with no problems so I must be missing something here.

I even tried to setup Kmail with no luck.

Any ideas?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Thunderbird issues

Quote Originally Posted by colyn View Post
    When I try to download email the message at the bottom reads "looked up pop.att.yahoo.com".
    Checking my own setup (not Thunderbird), I see that I am using "inbound.att.net" for POP3 and "outbound.att.net" for SMTP. There was a recommendation to change to those perhaps two years ago.

Perhaps recheck with your ISP on the recommended servers.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;

Email server settings (POP and SMTP) - AT&T Email Support

check you are using the correct pop server and also the correct ports.

How about if you just set up the account using the add mail wizard in Thunderbird - does that work?

I've tried inbound/outbound and pop/smtp but the error message I get is either my username or password is incorrect. I know both are in fact correct. I've checked both several times to be sure. It works fine on another Linux machine..

I've tried inbound/outbound and pop/smtp but the error message I get is either my username or password is incorrect. I know both are in fact correct. I've checked both several times to be sure. It works fine on another Linux machine..
    if you are getting a message that either the username or password is incorrect then the connection is being rejected by the email server. The fault is at the mail server end. There is nothing at Thunderbirds end that can cause that rejection other than an incorrectly entered username or password.
    Are you sure you don't have capslock on?
    As I said in my previous post. Try using the setup wizard in thunderbird and start with a clean account setup.
    also ensure you are using ssl/tls
    authentication - autodetect
    incoming port - 995
    outgoing port - 465

edit: one other thing to check - some email services require the entire email address as the username while others only require the username (minus @ and anything that follows that.)

Quote Originally Posted by farcusnz View Post
    if you are getting a message that either the username or password is incorrect then the connection is being rejected by the email server. The fault is at the mail server end. There is nothing at Thunderbirds end that can cause that rejection other than an incorrectly entered username or password.
    Are you sure you don't have capslock on?
    As I said in my previous post. Try using the setup wizard in thunderbird and start with a clean account setup.
    also ensure you are using ssl/tls
    authentication - autodetect
    incoming port - 995
    outgoing port - 465

edit: one other thing to check - some email services require the entire email address as the username while others only require the username (minus @ and anything that follows that.)
    I've done all of this several times and get the same result. My username includes the @isp.net. Thunderbird configuration not my isp is rejecting either my username or password.. I can't even poll the server for mail..

Here is why I have to conclude it is an issue with opensuse's thunderbird after spending the entire day working with it. I took a couple of spare hard drives and installed 2 different versions of Linux to each drive. After updates I then setup my email accounts on each with no problems whatsoever.. Thunderbird didn't even hiccup..

Now my next question is could it be I installed from a live DVD instead of the 4.7GB download with extra software?

Blog Entries

Thunderbird configuration not my isp is rejecting either my username or password.. I can't even poll the server for mail..
    Have you tried, in a terminal:
    (first make sure that thunderbird is not running)
    Code:
    cd   ## make sure in home directory
    mv .thunderbird OLD.thunderbird
    and then reconfigure thunderbird from scratch.

Blog Entries

Here is why I have to conclude it is an issue with opensuse's thunderbird after spending the entire day working with it. I took a couple of spare hard drives and installed 2 different versions of Linux to each drive. After updates I then setup my email accounts on each with no problems whatsoever.. Thunderbird didn't even hiccup..
    I normally don't use Thunderbird. However, as a test, I just updated my settings. I'm using "inbound.att.net" at port 995 with SSL/TLS, and set to send plain password for authentication. I also set it to leave mail on the server (I normally use webmail).

I then selected that att address (actually an ameritech.net address) for "get mail". And 14 messages were downloaded.

I am using opensuse 12.3 (64-bit) with KDE. That I am using KDE is probably not relevant, since thunderbird is a gtk application anyway.

It works for me with the same ISP as assume you are using. If it is a Thunderbird problem, then the problem is likely to be in your own settings rather than in the software. See the post above this for how to start afresh with the settings.

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    Have you tried, in a terminal:
    (first make sure that thunderbird is not running)
    Code:
    cd   ## make sure in home directory
    mv .thunderbird OLD.thunderbird
    and then reconfigure thunderbird from scratch.
    Did this..

I renamed the .thunderbird folder in my home directory then attempted to setup a new email account. Thunderbird found the correct settings (pop/smtp) but when I clicked done the next message was "Thunderbird failed to find the settings for your email account"..

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    It works for me with the same ISP as assume you are using. If it is a Thunderbird problem, then the problem is likely to be in your own settings rather than in the software. See the post above this for how to start afresh with the settings.
    When I enter each item I am careful to watch my keystrokes to make sure I am not entering the wrong info. If I was then it stands to reason I'd be doing it in the other distros I setup today. But they work fine so my setting are in fact correct. For whatever reason it does not work in opensuse.

inbound and outbound don't work either.

As stated in my above post I even renamed the .thunderbird folder in my home directory and tried again. Still no go......

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast