Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Extremely Slow Login 12.3 Gnome

  1. #1

    Default Extremely Slow Login 12.3 Gnome

    Has anyone else been experiencing an extremely slow login under openSUSE 12.3 Gnome?

    I am counting upwards of 20 seconds before I see a functional desktop interface after logging on to my user profile. I am running 64-bit 12.3 Gnome with an nVidia graphics card.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    27,130
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Extremely Slow Login 12.3 Gnome

    On Mon 17 Jun 2013 02:36:01 AM CDT, gforce6point0 wrote:


    Has anyone else been experiencing an extremely slow login under openSUSE
    12.3 Gnome?

    I am counting upwards of 20 seconds before I see a functional desktop
    interface after logging on to my user profile. I am running 64-bit 12.3
    Gnome with an nVidia graphics card.


    Hi
    Install systemd-analyze and then run;
    Code:
    systemd-analyze blame
    Please post the output back here between code tags...

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 12.3 (x86_64) Kernel 3.7.10-1.11-desktop
    up 0:26, 3 users, load average: 0.18, 0.26, 0.23
    CPU AMD Athlon(tm) II P360@2.30GHz | GPU Mobility Radeon HD 4200


  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Space Colony Lagrange Point 22° à, 77° Ƅ, 56° ɤ, 99° ɜ
    Posts
    3,166

    Default Re: Extremely Slow Login 12.3 Gnome

    @op- Have we ruled out that any program registered to start with GNOME or GNOME Shell extension causing the issue
    GNOME Version 3.20.2
    openSUSE Leap 42.3 64-bit

    www.vazhavandan.blogspot.com

  4. #4

    Default Re: Extremely Slow Login 12.3 Gnome

    malcolmlewis
    Here is the output...from the looks of it it seems to be taking nearly 1.5 seconds to do a number of operations? Are these times compounded?

    Code:
     systemd-analyze blame  1591ms systemd-udev-root-symlink.service
      1549ms home.mount
      1465ms systemd-vconsole-setup.service
      1274ms xdm.service
      1242ms dev-mqueue.mount
      1233ms dev-hugepages.mount
      1070ms avahi-daemon.service
      1041ms NetworkManager.service
      1029ms systemd-logind.service
      1028ms vmtoolsd.service
       971ms systemd-remount-fs.service
       521ms systemd-sysctl.service
       443ms postfix.service
       190ms systemd-readahead-replay.service
       163ms systemd-modules-load.service
        86ms rtkit-daemon.service
        75ms systemd-readahead-collect.service
        68ms fbset.service
        39ms sshd.service
        36ms rsyslog.service
        36ms rc-local.service
        31ms systemd-tmpfiles-setup.service
        26ms polkit.service
        18ms atd.service
        18ms systemd-udev-trigger.service
        17ms udisks2.service
        10ms var-lock.mount
         9ms bluetooth.service
         9ms accounts-daemon.service
         7ms systemd-user-sessions.service
         5ms sys-kernel-debug.mount
         3ms upower.service
         2ms var-run.mount
         1ms sys-fs-fuse-connections.mount
         1ms systemd-udevd.service
    vazhavandan
    I think the only shell mod I have on is the extended/alternative status menu that comes prepackaged with 12.3.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    27,130
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Extremely Slow Login 12.3 Gnome

    On Tue 18 Jun 2013 03:06:03 AM CDT, gforce6point0 wrote:


    malcolmlewis
    Here is the output...from the looks of it it seems to be taking nearly
    1.5 seconds to do a number of operations? Are these times compounded?


    Code:
    --------------------

    systemd-analyze blame 1591ms systemd-udev-root-symlink.service
    1549ms home.mount
    1465ms systemd-vconsole-setup.service
    1274ms xdm.service
    1242ms dev-mqueue.mount
    1233ms dev-hugepages.mount
    1070ms avahi-daemon.service
    1041ms NetworkManager.service
    1029ms systemd-logind.service
    1028ms vmtoolsd.service
    971ms systemd-remount-fs.service
    521ms systemd-sysctl.service
    443ms postfix.service
    190ms systemd-readahead-replay.service
    163ms systemd-modules-load.service
    86ms rtkit-daemon.service
    75ms systemd-readahead-collect.service
    68ms fbset.service
    39ms sshd.service
    36ms rsyslog.service
    36ms rc-local.service
    31ms systemd-tmpfiles-setup.service
    26ms polkit.service
    18ms atd.service
    18ms systemd-udev-trigger.service
    17ms udisks2.service
    10ms var-lock.mount
    9ms bluetooth.service
    9ms accounts-daemon.service
    7ms systemd-user-sessions.service
    5ms sys-kernel-debug.mount
    3ms upower.service
    2ms var-run.mount
    1ms sys-fs-fuse-connections.mount
    1ms systemd-udevd.service

    --------------------

    Hi
    Yes they are..... if you run the command without the blame it shows the
    total time.

    So you have additional partitions and rotating large disks?

    Of those services in the list, what are you not using?

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 12.3 (x86_64) Kernel 3.7.10-1.11-desktop
    up 0:13, 3 users, load average: 0.03, 0.09, 0.06
    CPU AMD Athlon(tm) II P360@2.30GHz | GPU Mobility Radeon HD 4200


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West Virginia Sector 13
    Posts
    15,765

    Default Re: Extremely Slow Login 12.3 Gnome

    But systemd-analyze only times up to log on prompt.
    Time from log on to stable desktop is not included.

    So the question is what are you starting on the desktop?

    The more complex your desktop setup the longer it takes.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    27,130
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Extremely Slow Login 12.3 Gnome

    On Tue 18 Jun 2013 04:06:02 AM CDT, gogalthorp wrote:


    But systemd-analyze only times up to log on prompt.
    Time from log on to stable desktop is not included.

    So the question is what are you starting on the desktop?

    The more complex your desktop setup the longer it takes.


    Hi
    If user gforce6point0 is not auto logging in, then it may pay to check
    the ~/.xsession-errors and /var/log/Xorg.0.log, but those times are
    sub-optimal IMHO.

    Even my older laptops with rotating drives are at the desktop from boot
    in less that 20 seconds max, this laptop in less than 10 seconds with
    an SSD.

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 12.3 (x86_64) Kernel 3.7.10-1.11-desktop
    up 0:04, 3 users, load average: 0.17, 0.20, 0.11
    CPU AMD Athlon(tm) II P360@2.30GHz | GPU Mobility Radeon HD 4200


  8. #8

    Default Re: Extremely Slow Login 12.3 Gnome

    The only additive thing I have running is Conky. I turned it off and still get the same result. Could this be my large spinning disk failing? How would I check this? My PC is less than 2 years old (and usually in my experience HDD failure happens at roughly 6 or so years), I have 8 GB of RAM and a Core i7. 12.2 was much faster...

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    27,130
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Extremely Slow Login 12.3 Gnome

    Quote Originally Posted by gforce6point0 View Post
    The only additive thing I have running is Conky. I turned it off and still get the same result. Could this be my large spinning disk failing? How would I check this? My PC is less than 2 years old (and usually in my experience HDD failure happens at roughly 6 or so years), I have 8 GB of RAM and a Core i7. 12.2 was much faster...
    Hi
    That should be very quick.....!

    So what graphics card, are you auto logging in?

    As root run smartctl on your drive, what size drive?
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •