Zypper and Software management freezing?

Fresh install of O.S. 12.3 last night.

Network installation, let it run over night. This evening it downloaded 700MB in updates.Once it finished It said to reboot, so i did.

Then I installed virtualbox, which has a blank icon btw. So I restarted again.

Now both zypper and software management freeze? I see older posts from 11.1 on here about it but wasn’t sure if those fixes would be applicable.

12.3 GNOME 64bit.

I have a bash script to work with, backup and perhaps fix Package Management issues. If a PC works OK otherwise, but running YaST Software Management or Zypper both just seem to lock up, it could be a database issue. Have a look here for the bash script:

Zypper Command - Zypper Package Management Menu System

Thank You,

If i disable 12.3 OSS repo, zypper and yast2 software management work just fine.

Ok…

Fixed it.

I disabled the OSS repo then did a zypper up which produced:

The following package updates will NOT be installed:
  virtualbox-guest-kmp-desktop virtualbox-host-kmp-desktop 

So then i uninstalled virtualbox via zypper and re-enabled the OSS repo.

Now both virtualbox and zypper work. Does anyone know what causes this? Why does it always seem difficult to get virtualbox running in OpenSUSE but Mint had no issue?

To download Zypper Command you can copy the following line below, paste it into a terminal session and press enter. Enter the root user password when requested:

sudo rm /usr/local/bin/zc ; sudo wget -nc http://paste.opensuse.org/view/download/99744002 -O /usr/local/bin/zc ; sudo chmod +x /usr/local/bin/zc

Then, after Zypper Command gets installed, just type in:

zc

To get Zypper Command running, then make the following selections:

1. Zypper & RPM Package Database Backup and Repair Menu

2. Create Backup of RPM Package Database in /var/lib/rpm (root authority)

3. Zypper Refresh & Rebuild of Repository Database (root authority)

This will back up your database and then rebuild it, to see if that will help.

Thank You,

I guess I don’t understand what was wrong. I never have had a problem installing VirtualBox from the latest RPM downloaded from Oracle and once installed, install the latest Extensions file and you are done.

Thank You,

I don’t either. I went into software management, selected virtualbox which selects two other options. I clicked apply. then i ran /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup

I then clicked activities and typed in virtualbox. There was a blank icon for Oracle VirtualBox, so I restarted. then the issues with the repo started.

So to check myself… to install VB via software management is there anything other than the default selections you need? I’m trying again to see if the same issue persists.

I do appreciate the response though!

Well that should work as described but I recommend getting the latest version from Oracle and to install it outside of YaST. Since it is an RPM it can be removed using YaST or Zypper, either one and you can have the very latest version, with full USB pass through support. Though I think you can always install the matching Extension pack from Oracle for the VirtualBox version installed from YaST and get that USB function as it is part of the Extension pack, as I understand it. Even though you are fixed up, you got to check out Zypper Command as it represents a lot of time trying to help put all of Zypper’s Commands at your finger tips.

Thank You,

You don’t need to run vboxdrv setup if you are using the openSUSE package! It would just give an error message anyway.

I have never seen a problem like yours, TBH. Well, I never had any problem with the openSUSE packages, but I use those from the Virtualization repo. That contains the latest version.
But even the version included in standard 12.3 shouldn’t cause your problems.

Which virtualbox packages do you actually have installed now?
Please post the output of:

rpm -qa | grep -i virtualbox