Google Keep

Hi,

I was searching for a note application able to synchronise between my Android mobile phone and my KDE desktop as widget. The problem Evernote and Google Keep have no desktop applicaton/widget for KDE.

I found a way how to use Google Keep as a kind of KDE “widget”:

• start Chrome
  • install Google Keep from the Chrome Web Store (https://chrome.google.com/webstore/) as application
  • right button on the Google Keep Icon on the Chrome Start Page > create link > app menue
    (note: I’am using a german desktop and try to translate the name of the menues… to english, perhaps I’am not using the correct english term shown in the menues!)
  • Start Google Keep from App Menue
  • Move the Window to a free place on the destop
  • right button on the upper border > other actions > special parameters for this window > alignement and access > not in kicker (task menue) + force + yes
  • right button on the upper border > other actions > special parameters for this window > alignement and access > not in task switcher + force + yes
  • right button on the upper border > other actions > special parameters for this window > alignement and access > not in desktop switcher + force + yes (now, the window will be not affected by task changing, will not appear in the kicker…)
  • right button on the upper border > other actions > special parameters for this window > appearence and corrections > window type + force + drop down menue (now, the window will not be minimized by e.g. compositing feature minimize all)
  • right button on the upper border > other actions > no borders (now, your Google Keep window looks like a widget :-), you will need Alt+F3 to come back the manues)
  • start “autostart” (e.g. search in start menue) > add program > google keep (now, google keep will be started automaticaly)

Hopefully, this will work for somebody, too.

Michael

P.S.:
Open question for me: I’am working on a notebook and I often use a second screen (left screen monitor and right screen notebook, no screen clone). After connection of the second screen google keep will be move according to the former x,y position of the notebook. I will work on this.

Nixnote / Evernote works on KDE http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/applications/485269-running-nixnote-nevernote-problem-new-post.html

Thanks for the Tip!
I had a look on Nixnote. For me, it offers to much functions. I’am searching more for simple notes.
For others, this could be the perfect solution.

Michael

Why not make this an article, or blog about it, as it’s a nice tip.