Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How to: Dual-boot (preinstalled) Windows 8 and Linux - UEFI etc.

Blog Entries

Default Re: How to: Dual-boot (preinstalled) Windows 8 and Linux - UEFI etc.

Move complete
    Leap 15_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Blog Entries

Possibly I missed it in the above ... but when I initially went to shrink a Windows8 from 222 GB it would only allow me to shink it 50% (ie to 111 GB). I then managed to shrink Windows8 from 222 GB to 63.5 GB ... In order to do this, I had to disable the Windows8 pagefile, disable the Windows8 hibernation file, disable the Windows8 system restore, disable the Windows8 writing debugging information, conduct a Windows 8 disk cleanup, reboot, defrag the Windows8 drive,reboot, and then shrink the Windows8 partition. I think I could have reduced this to be smaller than 63.5 GB, but upon further reflection decided just over 60GB was a good size for Windows8. After the size reduction was complete, I re-enabled those Windows8 features.

I followed the guidance here: shrinking Windows 8 partition for dual boot

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    Possibly I missed it in the above ... but when I initially went to shrink a Windows8 from 222 GB it would only allow me to shink it 50% (ie to 111 GB). I then managed to shrink Windows8 from 222 GB to 63.5 GB ... In order to do this, I had to disable the Windows8 pagefile, disable the Windows8 hibernation file, disable the Windows8 system restore, disable the Windows8 writing debugging information, conduct a Windows 8 disk cleanup, reboot, defrag the Windows8 drive,reboot, and then shrink the Windows8 partition. I think I could have reduced this to be smaller than 63.5 GB, but upon further reflection decided just over 60GB was a good size for Windows8. After the size reduction was complete, I re-enabled those Windows8 features.

I followed the guidance here: shrinking Windows 8 partition for dual boot
    Thank you for pointing that out!

I have not mentioned any such shrinking techniques here, but I will include it in the improved version of my write-up.

There are even more techniques that can be applied to wring even more (free) space out of a disk - particularly, if the disk has been in use for a while the gain can be substantial. The easiest trick is to use a 3rd party defragmenter such as MyDefrag or UltraDefrag - and even combine them. These can be configured to defragment any file of any files size, which will move even more files to the beginning of the disk. The Windows 8 defragmenter doesn't do that, and I have seen no method to configure it (I haven't studied W8 in that area yet). Thus, W8's defrag will leave some files behind.

BTW: The good thing about MyDefrag, is that it can do everything in a single defrag, and it defaults to defrag every file no matter the file size (choose Monthly System Disk).
    There's one pitfall though in using 3rd party defragmenters: Windows defragmenter is a background process as well as something you can command yourself. Different defragmenters will conflict in how they move files, as they all employ different algorithms. Only use one file defragmenter at a time!
    I always disable Windows defragmenter when I enable 3rd-party defragmenters, though. I have yet to must look up how to do that in W8, and also what the free-disk requirement is for W8 to do proper defragmenting. Earlier, you needed 14% free disk space to properly defragment. Less space than that would harm your defragmentation results.

As for free W8 disk space, the defragmentation-limit-value I mentioned above also goes for normal Windows use. With less free disk space, Windows will take a performance hit. Over time Windows will grow on you, so you need to repeat some of the tricks you pulled when shrinking disk to reclaim that space. I'm not sure it is 14% for W8, though... BleachBit will combine a few of your clean-up tricks in one operation, and will also take care of even more areas. Again, your use of that tool will increase with how much you use Windows.

Blog Entries

It might be worth pointing out, because I have found few people actually realize this...

That windows 8 shutdown is now not a shutdown unless you alter the settings. It defaults to a hibernation mode for quick booting.
    I have people thinking it's fast to boot, but it's not. If you take this stupid hibernation mode out, it's a slow as ever it was.

This is an important point some Dual boot with Linux user may not be aware of.
    Leap 15_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    Possibly I missed it in the above ... but when I initially went to shrink a Windows8 from 222 GB it would only allow me to shink it 50% (ie to 111 GB).
    BTW that 50% shrinkage was also my experience but on Windows 7 using its disk management tool. So it appears no change there then.

On 2013-06-25 04:26, caf4926 wrote:
    >
    > It might be worth pointing out, because I have found few people actually
    > realize this...
    >
    > That windows 8 shutdown is now not a shutdown unless you alter the
    > settings. It defaults to a hibernation mode for quick booting.
    > I have people thinking it's fast to boot, but it's not. If you take
    > this stupid hibernation mode out, it's a slow as ever it was.
    >
    > This is an important point some Dual boot with Linux user may not be
    > aware of.

Very important, because you can corrupt the Windows side from the Linux
    side if you don't disable that feature.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.3 x86_64 "Dartmouth" at Telcontar)

Quote Originally Posted by robin_listas View Post
    On 2013-06-25 04:26, caf4926 wrote:
    >
    > It might be worth pointing out, because I have found few people actually
    > realize this...
    >
    > That windows 8 shutdown is now not a shutdown unless you alter the
    > settings. It defaults to a hibernation mode for quick booting.
    > I have people thinking it's fast to boot, but it's not. If you take
    > this stupid hibernation mode out, it's a slow as ever it was.
    >
    > This is an important point some Dual boot with Linux user may not be
    > aware of.

Very important, because you can corrupt the Windows side from the Linux
    side if you don't disable that feature.
    Accidentally, or did you mean with a deliberate attempt to corrupt?

On 2013-06-25 16:06, consused wrote:
    >
    > robin_listas;2567160 Wrote:

>>> This is an important point some Dual boot with Linux user may not be
    >>> aware of.

>>
    >> Very important, because you can corrupt the Windows side from the Linux
    >> side if you don't disable that feature.

> Accidentally, or did you mean with a deliberate attempt to corrupt?

Accidentally. No, it has not happened to me. I think it is on the
    release notes, it was commented at least.

If you use that fast mode in W8, as it does an hibernation, the
    filesystem is in opened state. To use it from another OS, you have to
    run an fsck on it, same as on a corrupted filesystem. If you boot
    Windows later, which thinks that the system is still in opened state,
    and it writes the pending changes, then further and real corruption may
    happen...

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.3 x86_64 "Dartmouth" at Telcontar)

Quote Originally Posted by caf4926 View Post
    It might be worth pointing out, because I have found few people actually realize this...

That windows 8 shutdown is now not a shutdown unless you alter the settings. It defaults to a hibernation mode for quick booting.
    I have people thinking it's fast to boot, but it's not. If you take this stupid hibernation mode out, it's a slow as ever it was.

This is an important point some Dual boot with Linux user may not be aware of.
    That sounds to be the same as I mention in Part4 Preparation (posting #4), item 4.7 first bullet, but I mention it as a reason to stopping W8 from cluttering up the EFI NVRAM (as will hibernation).

However, curiously enough, I have not noticed any change at all in boot speed due to disabling W8 fast-boot on my Asus. I haven't timed it though, I just can't say it is any faster than it used to be. However, my PC has a BIOS setting (well - UEFI firmware setting to be exact ) that is to allow for fast boot, which I do have enabled. The documentation says this is to allow OSes to commence booting without waiting for HW-devices to become ready. nownow.dfdI

Quote Originally Posted by consused View Post
    BTW that 50% shrinkage was also my experience but on Windows 7 using its disk management tool. So it appears no change there then.
    How much you will be able to shrink will depend on how you have been using Windows previous to attempting to shrink its partition. Also, with the right preparation you will be able to shrink more - provided there is more than 50% space available. Now - THAT may sound like logic that shouldn't be necessary to explain, but it really depends on the files' location on your partition just as much as how much space is in use. If the right files are located in the wrong places, you will not be able to shrink anything at all.

What you are looking at here is file positioning policy, not how much MS or the OEMs fills your disks...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast