Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How to: Dual-boot (preinstalled) Windows 8 and Linux - UEFI etc.

Default Re: How to: Dual-boot (preinstalled) Windows 8 and Linux - UEFI etc.

Nice how to

One thing though and maybe I missed it. but my understanding is that if you install with secure boot on you must tell the installer that secure boot is on. In your instructions I missed seeing that i the install part.

@DenverD:

Thank you. I'll look into that. Actually, the original source of the text is already in ODT format ...

@gogalthorp:

Thank you. I think you missed it. If I understand you correctly, you'll find what you are missing in Part 5, item 9 third bullet. But I also take your hint - it could be made more visible - particularly due to its relative importance in getting the thing to work. If DenverD's suggestion works out, I'll make that point more visible.
    Thank you for reading and commenting.

dayfinger

Blog Entries

An article or blog might be better suited for this. Also it should be in How To/FAQ Forums
    ______________________________________________________________________________________
    Don't ask "if" something can be done, for it can always be done. Rather instead ask "How" can it be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan_R View Post
    An article or blog might be better suited for this. Also it should be in How To/FAQ Forums
    OK. Thank you. How do we do that? Would that be both article/blog and how to/FAQ forum, or one of them? What do you all prefer?

dayfinger

dayfinger wrote:

> - I decided to simply delete partition 5 and 6, and make them
    > available to OpenSUSE. I also tried to delete partition 2 (I could)
    > and move partition 3 onto partition 3 (I couldn't – at least, I
    > didn't find out how without much hazzle) so I kept partition 2 all the
    > same. Not much space wasted anyway. (Don't remove any partitions of
    > yours yet).
    >

After going through the same drill, I would advise you to evaluate the
    amount of space devoted to W8. I had a huge (2tb) drive and W8 had nearly
    1.8 tb allocated ! I don't see myself using W8 for much so I used W* to
    shrink itself leaving me with 1.3 tb of free space.

--
    Will Honea
    whonea@whonea.net

dayfinger wrote:

>
    > Jonathan_R;2564784 Wrote:
    >> An article or blog might be better suited for this. Also it should be in
    >> 'How To/FAQ Forums' (http://tinyurl.com/cwysmaq)

>
    > OK. Thank you. How do we do that? Would that be both article/blog and
    > how to/FAQ forum, or one of them? What do you all prefer?
    >

Either would be good but an initial exposure in a forum where you could
    collect comments and suggestions would be the better place to start. That
    way, specific experience with upgrading from older hardware to UEFI systems
    coud be included - that has been the far bigger challenge for me and has
    some sneaky little traps.

Excellent information but putting it in a single article will really help.
    You have a lot of stuff scattered around in the smaller format and it's hard
    to get an overall picture here.

Consider submitting it to the openSUSE Wiki - there are going to be a lot of
    folks involved in this exercise in the next few years. A lot current
    generation hardware is going to die with time!

--
    Will Honea
    whonea@whonea.net

Quote Originally Posted by whonea View Post
    .... After going through the same drill, I would advise you to evaluate the
    amount of space devoted to W8. I had a huge (2tb) drive and W8 had nearly
    1.8 tb allocated ! I don't see myself using W8 for much so I used W* to
    shrink itself leaving me with 1.3 tb of free space....
    It sounds to me like you made a reasonable decision. Everyone needs to make those decisions as fit them the best. I add more details about this in Part 4, Some more preparations, item 4. I guess I should move some of part 4's analysis into part 3 too, in order to keep the two descriptions of the same decision more consistent. I could also elaborate the disk-space allocation a little more, but as this thing is quite big as it is, I am also afraid that it will become too large for people to bother reading it. I'll look into it.

Good luck with your installation! Thank you for reading and commenting.

dayfinger

... an initial exposure in a forum where you could
    collect comments and suggestions would be the better place to start.
    I agree, and that was part of what I initially thought I could do here, since the How-To forum is read-only. I have done it that way in other forums on other sites where editing your own articles was allowed. Having said that, I have also seen the effect that they want to avoid here by not allowing to edit old articles, and I have no difficulty in accepting that.

...That way, specific experience with upgrading from older hardware to UEFI systems
    coud be included - that has been the far bigger challenge for me and has some sneaky little traps.
    I agree with that too, but that would make the subject sooo much bigger, and - also - very computer vendor specific. Off the top of my head, that would necessitate an entirely different format than a forum like this. A wiki, as you suggest, sounds like a viable alternative for such a task.

Excellent information but putting it in a single article will really help. You have a lot of stuff scattered around in the smaller format and it's hard to get an overall picture here.
    It was my intention to make things as easy to understand as I could make it, but I fail to see that making a single article of it (as opposed to parts as I made here) would make it much easier to digest. It is still a lot of info, and it will still span some pages (the original script was 6 A4 pages). On the other hand, I don't see that making it a single article would hurt in any way, either. But I also see that I could have been more consistent - and it would maybe help in getting the bigger picture if I had started off with a Contents stub. The more I think about it, and the more comments I get, the more potential for improvements I see .

Thank you again for commenting.

dayfinger

Blog Entries

Not all of the How To/FAQ Forums is read only. The Unreviewed How To and FAQ is designed for just such postings. As whonea said, the wiki is also an excellent place. As to a blog or article, send a PM to one of the admin of this board. Given this thread, they just might do it.
    ______________________________________________________________________________________
    Don't ask "if" something can be done, for it can always be done. Rather instead ask "How" can it be done.

Blog Entries

Notice NNTP uses, moving to Unreviewed Howto section and negotiating a Article of said same + improvements.
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast