Thread: Dual Monitor

Default Dual Monitor

If you configure a dual monitor on opensuse 12.3 64 and unplug the monitor, their is no way to tell the system that the monitor is no longer attached without rebooting.

You have to configure the monitor before unplugging it... otherwise you are forced to reboot? is there any way to fix this please?

Default Re: Dual Monitor

Quote Originally Posted by ffsnovel View Post
    If you configure a dual monitor on opensuse 12.3 64 and unplug the monitor, their is no way to tell the system that the monitor is no longer attached without rebooting.

You have to configure the monitor before unplugging it... otherwise you are forced to reboot? is there any way to fix this please?
    use xrandr ... you didn't mention what desktop you're using, but frontends for it are krandrtray, arandr, kscreen, ...

Blog Entries

On openSUSE 12.3, KDE 4.10, nVidia GPU, configured with KDE "Configure Desktop"

External/additional display outputs like LVDS, VGA and HDMI are detected automatically, will enable or disconnect automatically. The problem is not directly an issue with unplugging, it's a problem of primary/secondary displays.

The problem I actually run into is that by default the secondary input is made default (by default) which is entirely illogical, so if you just unplug the secondary display, you will lose control of the screen. Other issues will be that whenever you launch a new app, it will pop up on the secondary, <not> primary display.

So, before you disconnect <always> manually click on the main display and make it primary to avoid problems.
    Or, as you describe disconnect the secondary input before unplugging.

This likely applies to all, not just my system config as described.
    If you believe this odd behavior should be fixed, join the legions of people who have posted about it.

HTH,
    TSU

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ffsnovel View Post

So, before you disconnect <always> manually click on the main display and make it primary to avoid problems.
    Or, as you describe disconnect the secondary input before unplugging.
    Oops! I really was not careful in reading the original post, as I see my suggestions were already well realized

On a good news note, this behaviour(s) will likely/hopefully get taken care of in KDE 4.11 with kscreen being intro'd ... for some background see: