Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: updates being denied for no reason

Default updates being denied for no reason

I am totally confused about this update problem.

1) I am getting the updates will not be installed warning when using "zypper up", kwin is one example of an update not getting installed.
    2) I go to yast software management and look at kwin to see what conflicts are holding up the upgrade.
    3) I check on the package and indeed there is no "kdebase4-workspace-branding-4.10.4-927.1.x86_64" because it is now named "kdebase4-workspace-branding-upstream-4.10.4-927.1.x86_64" instead.

Is this something that will settle out after a bit or is the package name wrong or is Yast2 not getting something right? What to do?

On a related note, apper updated my other PC to the kwin 4.10.4 yesterday without any problems. I have not had a chance to see what the repos/other differences are between the two.

Here is that info:
    #### YaST2 conflicts list - generated 2013-06-07 09:07:13 ####

kwin-4.10.4-927.1.x86_64 requires kdebase4-workspace-branding = 4.10.4, but this requirement cannot be provided
    uninstallable providers: kdebase4-workspace-branding-openSUSE-12.3-4.2.i586[kde_lastest_stable]
    kdebase4-workspace-branding-upstream-4.10.4-927.1.i586[kde_lastest_stable]
    kdebase4-workspace-branding-openSUSE-12.3-4.2.x86_64[kde_lastest_stable]
    kdebase4-workspace-branding-upstream-4.10.4-927.1.x86_64[kde_lastest_stable]
    [ ] downgrade of kdebase4-workspace-branding-openSUSE-12.3-232.2.x86_64 to kdebase4-workspace-branding-openSUSE-12.3-4.2.x86_64

[ ] break kwin-4.10.4-927.1.x86_64 by ignoring some of its dependencies

[ ] do not install kwin-4.10.4-927.1.x86_64

[ ] do not install kwin-4.10.4-927.1.x86_64

#### YaST2 conflicts list END ###

Here are my repos:

Code:
    linux-aa3c:~ # zypper lr
    #  | Alias                     | Name                               | Enabled | Refresh
    ---+---------------------------+------------------------------------+---------+--------
     1 | AMD_driver                | AMD driver                         | No      | Yes    
     2 | Kernel:stable             | Kernel:stable                      | Yes     | Yes    
     3 | PTA                       | PTA                                | No      | Yes    
     4 | Packman Repository        | Packman Repository                 | Yes     | Yes    
     5 | devel:languages:python    | devel:languages:python             | No      | Yes    
     6 | google-musicmanager       | google-musicmanager                | Yes     | Yes    
     7 | kde_extra_latest          | kde extra latest                   | Yes     | Yes    
     8 | kde_lastest_stable        | kde lastest stable                 | Yes     | Yes    
     9 | libdvdcss repository      | libdvdcss repository               | Yes     | Yes    
    10 | malcom_cpu_stuff          | malcom cpu stuff                   | No      | Yes    
    11 | repo-debug                | openSUSE-12.3-Debug                | No      | Yes    
    12 | repo-debug-update         | openSUSE-12.3-Update-Debug         | No      | Yes    
    13 | repo-debug-update-non-oss | openSUSE-12.3-Update-Debug-Non-Oss | No      | Yes    
    14 | repo-non-oss              | openSUSE-12.3-Non-Oss              | Yes     | Yes    
    15 | repo-oss                  | openSUSE-12.3-Oss                  | Yes     | Yes    
    16 | repo-source               | openSUSE-12.3-Source               | No      | Yes    
    17 | repo-update               | openSUSE-12.3-Update               | No      | Yes    
    18 | repo-update-non-oss       | openSUSE-12.3-Update-Non-Oss       | No      | Yes    
    linux-aa3c:~ #
    Kernel: 4.12.14-lp150.12.7-default x86_64 bits:
    64 Desktop: Gnome 3.26.2
    Distro: openSUSE Leap 15.0

Default Re: updates being denied for no reason

Quote Originally Posted by anika200 View Post
    I am totally confused about this update problem.

1) I am getting the updates will not be installed warning when using "zypper up", kwin is one example of an update not getting installed.
    2) I go to yast software management and look at kwin to see what conflicts are holding up the upgrade.
    3) I check on the package and indeed there is no "kdebase4-workspace-branding-4.10.4-927.1.x86_64" because it is now named "kdebase4-workspace-branding-upstream-4.10.4-927.1.x86_64" instead.
    No it is not.
    There is kdebase4-workspace-branding-upstream and kdebase4-workspace-branding-openSUSE and both provide kdebase4-workspace-branding.

Is this something that will settle out after a bit or is the package name wrong or is Yast2 not getting something right? What to do?

On a related note, apper updated my other PC to the kwin 4.10.4 yesterday without any problems. I have not had a chance to see what the repos/other differences are between the two.

Here is that info:
    Just select "downgrade of kdebase4-workspace-branding-openSUSE-12.3-232.2.x86_64 to kdebase4-workspace-branding-openSUSE-12.3-4.2.x86_64" in YaST and everything should be ok.
    The problem here is that you have a higher versioned kdebase4-workspace-branding-openSUSE installed but that one is for KDE 4.10.3, not 4.10.4. And "zypper up" or YaST don't downgrade versions automatically.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    The problem here is that you have a higher versioned kdebase4-workspace-branding-openSUSE installed but that one is for KDE 4.10.3, not 4.10.4. And "zypper up" or YaST don't downgrade versions automatically.
    That is what I thought and would have done that automatically but the wording of the warning had me confused because it reads "downgrade" but I clearly wanted to upgrade.

Thanks for the reply, I will follow through with the up/down grade.

That is what I thought and would have done that automatically but the wording of the warning had me confused because it reads "downgrade" but I clearly wanted to upgrade.
    Well, kdebase4-workspace-branding-openSUSE-12.3-232.2.x86_64 is a higher version than kdebase4-workspace-branding-openSUSE-12.3-4.2.x86_64 (232.2 > 4.2), so it is a downgrade in that case...

Personally I rather wait for KDE to hit the standard repos before going to testing.
    I can imagine openSUSE will have it, especially if it fixes bugs.
    They have KDE 4.10.3 so why not?

Quote Originally Posted by MadmanRB View Post
    Personally I rather wait for KDE to hit the standard repos before going to testing.
    Yes, KDE 4.10.4 will be released via the standard 12.3 update repo. (and 4.10.5 as well, but not 4.11)

Quote Originally Posted by MadmanRB View Post
    From what I have read the two repos I am using:
    7 | kde_extra_latest | kde extra latest | Yes | Yes
    8 | kde_lastest_stable | kde lastest stable | Yes | Yes
    From my understanding these repos have had all the testing from the KDE people on all systems they are using which probably includes openSUSE.
    These repositories are also listed in the SDB KDE as a way to update to the latest stable KDE apps.
    This makes me feel pretty safe to use and upgrade via these repositories, I have not had any KDE app problems that I could track down to doing it this way.

BTW, if you want to use these repos you will have to disable the normal openSUSE update repos.
    At least that is what I had read before but now I can not find the citation, can someone confirm this?

From my understanding these repos have had all the testing from the KDE people on all systems they are using which probably includes openSUSE.
    No, there is no testing done except what upstream KDE does. Otherwise it wouldn't be possible to have KDE in there on release day.
    The KDE updates in the standard update repo on the other hand are tested. Firstly by the users of those KDE repos, and secondly by the openSUSE maintenance team as part of the maintenance process.

These repositories are also listed in the SDB KDE as a way to update to the latest stable KDE apps.
    This makes me feel pretty safe to use and upgrade via these repositories, I have not had any KDE app problems that I could track down to doing it this way.
    Well, the site you link to actually says on top:
    This page lists and describes the available KDE repositories and provides links. None of them are officially supported.
    Also there is KDE:UpdatedApps for KDE apps updates. The repos you are using provide updates for the complete KDE.

BTW, if you want to use these repos you will have to disable the normal openSUSE update repos.
    At least that is what I had read before but now I can not find the citation, can someone confirm this?
    No, that's completely wrong. Please don't disable the normal update repos. You won't get any updates except KDE then, especially no security updates.

With openSUSE 12.3 it's actually the other way round: you don't have to use those repos and will get KDE updates (4.10.x) in the normal update repos instead.

Missed the 10 minute update window so:

Update: ok sorry, I realize now that without repo url this conversation is kind of meaningless. I have further realized that I am not just using the "updated apps" repository but the "latest" repo which is probably more dangerous and in that respect I agree with Madman.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    No, there is no testing done except what upstream KDE does. Otherwise it wouldn't be possible to have KDE in there on release day.
    The KDE updates in the standard update repo on the other hand are tested. Firstly by the users of those KDE repos, and secondly by the openSUSE maintenance team as part of the maintenance process.

Well, the site you link to actually says on top:

Also there is KDE:UpdatedApps for KDE apps updates. The repos you are using provide updates for the complete KDE.

No, that's completely wrong. Please don't disable the normal update repos. You won't get any updates except KDE then, especially no security updates.

With openSUSE 12.3 it's actually the other way round: you don't have to use those repos and will get KDE updates (4.10.x) in the normal update repos instead.
    Oh , well this is some new info for me. Ahh, I will be going back to openSUSE update repos on this box then.
    Will changing back to 12.3 update repos cause some problems since KDE has been updated on this box?

Thanks for the good info btw, I guess I was following some older documentation or something.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast