Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Virtualization Server - oVirt

Default Virtualization Server - oVirt

Hi everyone,

I been looking around for the rigth setup for implementing a Virtualization Host, environment, at home. The simplest implementation that would work perfect, I guess, would just be installing the KVM related packages, however I would like to be able to browse manage the gust systems, combined with CLI access.

Below I have listed those projects or products I have been looking into... I have added a few coments on recommend distros and features.

Karesansui
    Karesansui Project - Xen/KVM Virtualization Management Application

- Webgui
    - CentOS

oVirt.org
    oVirt
    - Webgui
    - Fedora 18+

Archipel
    Archipel - Home
    - Webgui
    - Seems to require a few physical servers, and I one have one

VMWare Server / vSphere
    https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/eva...xi5&lp=default
    - I have skipped this for now, as I would like to go with a open solution

OpenStack (and flavors)
    Home
    - webgui
    - "my comment": Super perfect project/product, works awesome.... but to me it seems completly overkill for a home solution, to many compontens, configuration and requirements for a home solution. But there are guides out there, with instructions on how to install it on one machine. I have tried it, and it works, but again I think it's too complicated for home use.
    - seems to be available in the OpenSUSE reps. -- have anyone any experiences installing it on one host?

So why this posting on the forum, see I would like to know, ask, if there was a virtualization project that was super perfect for OpenSUSE, that at the sametime provided me with a web based management interface, that some one could recommend?

Currently I'm on (Fedora) planing to try out the oVirt, as it seems to be just what I'm looking for... would have loved to have installed it on OpenSuse, but can't find any instructions or reps

So to sum up:

1. OpenStack on OpenSuSE - has anyone experiences in installing it on one host, running SuSE?
    2. Have I missed out a super perfect project for doing virtualization, with web management support, on SuSE?
    3. Does anyone know, if oVirt are support on OpenSuSE ... yet? or do we have a build project ?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Virtualization Server - oVirt

Not into this, but did you have a look at software.opensuse.org: Search
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    Not into this, but did you have a look at software.opensuse.org: Search
    See I have indeed found those, but it's not like they match anything I have found in the installation guide on oVirt, which makes me guess that those might work, but are not the latest builds etc :S. But thanks

oVirt 3.2.1 works on .el6 (RHEL/CentOS) as well.
    would be great if you can help make it work on SuSE as well (there is some work on making it owrk on Gentoo and ubuntu already).
    good place to start is probably:
    OVirt Engine Development Environment

Yes, I would be great if oVirt was ported to OpenSuSE/SUSE... I have found the following 'build' project and have asked for an update, might be that they are almost ready with the porting activities...

Link:
    https://build.opensuse.org/project/s...zation%3AoVirt

that seems to be an old effort, ovirt-node only.
    if you are interested, i suggest you start from trying to launch the devel environment and report issues on ovirt mailing list for help.

Blog Entries

OpenStack has a very promising future.
    But for the moment (today) there is serious bug in the OpenStack Quiickstart Demo (Folsom) Setup that crashes (silently) the web Dashboard. Until it's fixed, it's SOL unless you'd like to look at everything else. Maybe <today> the best advice is to deploy the previous version (Essex) on 12.2, that works fine for me.

When the Quickstart Demo is fixed (have been waiting over a month now), I'll update my page installing in LXC (with minor modifications similar instructions to run on any virtual machine or on bare metal) The page will change because nspawn (and chroot) cannot work due to the networking implementation incompatibility so the link will change, but what I have posted for now still might be helpful

Remember, don't implement OpenStack with chroot or nspawn, only deploy in LXC, or any virtualization of your choice like VMware, KVM, QEMU, Virtualbox, etc
    https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/ch...pawn-OpenStack

If you're talking as a small, non-Enterprise User, have you looked at simply using YAST and libvirt (vm manager and vm install)? They work fantastic for simple stuff like creating, distroying, start/stop/pause, create and manage virtual networking. Libvirt supports KVM, Xen, and LXC (somewhat. I prefer YAST LXC instead but even that is lacking in desired features). I consider the KVM documentation supporting libvirt mostly excellent (although lacking in various networking I've been exploring recently), and from one box you can manage VMs on both the local and remote machines.

When you're talking about virtualization management, you're talking about a fast-moving, hotly discussed area of virtualization, there are solutions that fit all. To decide what fits you best you need to create your own desired features list before exploring, eg

Basic functions
    stop/start/pause
    create/destroy
    storage management
    Minimal performance

Then start building your list of optional features which might not be found in most managers, eg
    remote machine management
    cloning
    snapshots
    advanced virtual network confiuration
    automatic network services, eg DHCP, address spaces, DNS, firewalling, IP forwarding and filtering
    runtime migration
    Identity (Security based on tokens, certs, etc)
    Hybrid networks (ie Integratin Public and Private)
    Multiple virtualization technologies
    Migrating between virt technologies
    More detailed performance metrics
    More advanced dashboards
    Support for shared file systems, particularly between different type OS
    Types of virtualization, eg paravirtualized vs full emulation
    Types of storage, eg raw file systems, backing files, more
    Device management

As noted, oVirt is a technology I've avoided, I prefer to implement LXC instead although I will use oVirt images for LXC (and UML and others).

HTH,
    TSU

Hi TSU,

Thanks for the update...

I have chosen to use KVM on my server, and then do some testing in VMs on OpenStack, etc... As I said, I was hoping a nice package, e.g. oVirt or OpenStack, but for now it seems too much, at least for my home setup.

When and if OpenStack or oVirt get to work on OpenSuse, I would then consider implementing one of them as the basis for my home visualization environment...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mrmaceurope View Post
    Hi TSU,

Thanks for the update...

I have chosen to use KVM on my server, and then do some testing in VMs on OpenStack, etc... As I said, I was hoping a nice package, e.g. oVirt or OpenStack, but for now it seems too much, at least for my home setup.

When and if OpenStack or oVirt get to work on OpenSuse, I would then consider implementing one of them as the basis for my home visualization environment...
    Unless you're investigating datacenter or large corporate virtualization management (hundreds of Guest VMs), OpenStack and similar is major overkill.

For most home, SMB users who manage maybe up to 50 or so GuestVMs (possibly up to a hundred or so), IMO installing and using the libvirt packages should be sufficient to manage basic functions (as I described earlier).

play around with it, it should make your life much easier
    Code:
    zypper in libvirt libvirt-client
    TSU

Question Re: Virtualization Server - oVirt

Quote Originally Posted by mrmaceurope View Post
    Yes, I would be great if oVirt was ported to OpenSuSE/SUSE... I have found the following 'build' project and have asked for an update, might be that they are almost ready with the porting activities...

Link:
    https://build.opensuse.org/project/s...zation%3AoVirt
    After looking into oVirt it looks absolutely fantastic. Might look into seeing if I can help with porting this to openSUSE

What kind of work is involved in the porting of the application like this?

Cheers
    William

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast