Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Virtualization Server - oVirt

Blog Entries

Default Re: Virtualization Server - oVirt

Quote Originally Posted by williamfleming View Post
    After looking into oVirt it looks absolutely fantastic. Might look into seeing if I can help with porting this to openSUSE

What kind of work is involved in the porting of the application like this?

Cheers
    William
    Last time I looked at oVirt (a couple years ago), there wasn't active integration and support for openSUSE even then. My attention for this type of virtualization has then moved on to LXC which I encourage you to also look into.

Although there are a number of rough edges, IMO LXC works very well for "onesy-twosy" instances.
    Just install the LXC packages plus the YAST applet.

Although not organized specifically as a "How to" I've written a few articles about how to do things in LXC at my wiki
    User:Tsu2/systemd-1 - openSUSE

If you're <really> interested in doing the work for integrating oVirt and know how to do it, just start doing it. Publicize it. You can use OBS and/or create your own openSUSE wiki, or deploy on github.

And, where you lead others may follow...

TSU

Thumbs up Re: Virtualization Server - oVirt

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    Last time I looked at oVirt (a couple years ago), there wasn't active integration and support for openSUSE even then. My attention for this type of virtualization has then moved on to LXC which I encourage you to also look into.

Although there are a number of rough edges, IMO LXC works very well for "onesy-twosy" instances.
    Just install the LXC packages plus the YAST applet.

Although not organized specifically as a "How to" I've written a few articles about how to do things in LXC at my wiki
    User:Tsu2/systemd-1 - openSUSE

If you're <really> interested in doing the work for integrating oVirt and know how to do it, just start doing it. Publicize it. You can use OBS and/or create your own openSUSE wiki, or deploy on github.

And, where you lead others may follow...

TSU
    Im in no way an expert but I have got something started! I created a project on OBS (just in my home) and started trying to hack the spec file together to see if I can get the engine working first of all. Got to start somewhere! There is already some work been done on porting over the node software and the agent here

I have looked at containers, but really would like to start using KVM with a proper management interface (not virt-manager) that has an API. And oVirt fits the bill nicely! Even has a python API

Default Re: Virtualization Server - oVirt

Quote Originally Posted by williamfleming View Post
    After looking into oVirt it looks absolutely fantastic. Might look into seeing if I can help with porting this to openSUSE

What kind of work is involved in the porting of the application like this?

Cheers
    William

Hello William,

There are two major components of oVirt, a management server and a hypervisor agent.

For the hypervisor agent there is on going work to make it more portable, first effort is for ubuntu.

The management server is already ported to Gentoo, so it can probably port to any other environment.

The steps required are:

1. Port otopi[1] services to support a new environment.

2. Package otopi[2], ovirt-host-deploy[3], jboss[4], and other dependencies which may be missing at suse.

3. Package ovirt-engine[5], this requires the most work. You have reference spec[6], and reference Gentoo packaging[7]

There are some challenges in packaging this package as:

a. it uses maven which tend to violate distro packaging by downloading its own dependencies and such.

b. it uses a lot of java dependencies, some may missing from distribution, so if you want avoid using the maven provided jars it takes a lot of effort to package these.

c. per implementation it relays on yum versionlock plugin to inhibit package upgrade without explicitly running upgrade utility as the product is incompatible with its previos version database by definition, this behavior was not ported to Gentoo for example.

You can also have it up and running in non root environment using development environment setup[8], it may be decent solution for starters... this why you can start fast without packaging anything.

If you are interested please join engine-devel@ovirt.org list.

I hope you find this helpful,
    Alon Bar-Lev

[1] gerrit.ovirt Code Review - otopi.git/tree - src/plugins/otopi/services/
    [2] gerrit.ovirt Code Review - otopi.git/summary
    [3] gerrit.ovirt Code Review - ovirt-host-deploy.git/summary
    [4] JBoss Application Server Downloads - JBoss Community
    [5] http://gerrit.ovirt.org/gitweb?p=ovirt-engine.git
    [6] gerrit.ovirt Code Review - ovirt-engine.git/blob - ovirt-engine.spec.in
    [7] https://github.com/alonbl/ovirt-over...ne-9999.ebuild
    [8] gerrit.ovirt Code Review - ovirt-engine.git/blob - README.developer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12