Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: System tray doesn't show application icons (openSUSE 12.3, KDE4)

Default System tray doesn't show application icons (openSUSE 12.3, KDE4)

I have a problem regarding the sytem tray functionality in open SUSE 12.3 with KDE4. In principle, the system tray is there, with the klipper, sound control and network manager icons. However, when I start an application that would normally "spawn" a tray icon like Pidgin, no additional icon appears. When I close the buddy window, Pidgin becomes inaccessible, but is still running (as I can easily check with "# pidof pidgin"). How can I get the system tray to work properly?

I freshly installed openSUSE 12.3 while formatting the former system partition. However, I kept my /home folder from my former installation (openSUSE 11.3). Could that be the source of the complication?

Default Re: System tray doesn't show application icons (openSUSE 12.3, KDE4)

On 06/04/2013 06:26 PM, JustAnotherTheorist wrote:
    > I kept my /home folder from my former installation

(openSUSE 11.3). Could that be the source of the complication?

maybe....what desktop environment (and version) are you using now and
    did you use in 11.3?

Code:
    ls -1 |grep kde
    ls -1 |grep gnom

--
    dd

Default AW: System tray doesn't show application icons (openSUSE 12.3, KDE4)

Quote Originally Posted by JustAnotherTheorist View Post
    I have a problem regarding the sytem tray functionality in open SUSE 12.3 with KDE4. In principle, the system tray is there, with the klipper, sound control and network manager icons. However, when I start an application that would normally "spawn" a tray icon like Pidgin, no additional icon appears. When I close the buddy window, Pidgin becomes inaccessible, but is still running (as I can easily check with "# pidof pidgin"). How can I get the system tray to work properly?

I freshly installed openSUSE 12.3 while formatting the former system partition. However, I kept my /home folder from my former installation (openSUSE 11.3). Could that be the source of the complication?
    Maybe it is just hidden?
    Click on the up-arrow on the right side of the system tray to show all icons. Is it there?

Space Colony Lagrange Point 22° à, 77° Ƅ, 56° ɤ, 99° ɜ

Quote Originally Posted by JustAnotherTheorist View Post
    ...kept my /home folder from my former installation (openSUSE 11.3). Could that be the source of the complication?
    To confirm this theory all you need to do is create a fresh user ad check whether problem exists for the "new" user too
    GNOME Version 3.20.2
    openSUSE Leap 42.3 64-bit

www.vazhavandan.blogspot.com

Blog Entries

A cause of the icon being hidden could be that Pidgin is not a KDE app. You may have to right click the systray, enter it's settings and have a look at the Items item
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Quote Originally Posted by DenverD View Post
    On 06/04/2013 06:26 PM, JustAnotherTheorist wrote:
    > I kept my /home folder from my former installation

(openSUSE 11.3). Could that be the source of the complication?

maybe....what desktop environment (and version) are you using now and
    did you use in 11.3?

Code:
    ls -1 |grep kde
    ls -1 |grep gnom
    In the case that these commands were supposed to show the configuration folders, I have these:
    .gnome2
    .gnome2_private
    .kde
    .kde4

I was surprised to find gnome folders because I am certain that I never used gnome on this machine. However, it is possible that I also installed gnome when I first installed Suse 11.3 on this machine.
    I always used KDE with Suse 11.3. I am not sure which version it was, but I used the one that came along with with the installation CD. Google tells me it should have been KDE 4.4.4. As fas as I understand, Suse uses KDE 4.10 which incorporates a lot of changes compared to 4.4.4. It looks very different.
    Maybe it is just hidden?
    Click on the up-arrow on the right side of the system tray to show all icons. Is it there?
    When I click the litte arrow, only "( i ) Notifications" appears.
    To confirm this theory all you need to do is create a fresh user ad check whether problem exists for the "new" user too
    That makes perfect sense and was also very successful. It turns out that with the new user, it works perfectly the way it is supposed to. As soon as I start Pidgin, a corresponding icon appears in the systray.
    So... now the question would be: How do I set up KDE in such a way that it also works with the old user? Is there some way to reset KDE to defaults? Would it be possible to just copy the KDE4 folder from my new user to the old one or would that lead to new complications?
    A cause of the icon being hidden could be that Pidgin is not a KDE app. You may have to right click the systray, enter it's settings and have a look at the Items item
    Seeing as Pidgin always worked with KDE 4.4.4 on Suse 11.3, I don't think that's the case. As for the rest, would you mind explaining it in such a way that a stupid person like me would also understand?

Sorry for double post (it seems to be impossible to edit a posting?).
    I followed a hint about simply renaming the .kde4 folder to something else to restore default settings. Although that did not set things to default but rather presented me with an empty desktop: After adding a default panel, I ended up with a working Systray. So that certainly did what I wanted.
    Consider this issue solved. Thanks for your help

Blog Entries

OK, I'll try to elaborate a bit, though I'd rather not use or think of words like "stupid". One of the things I've learned over the years using open source is that "unfamiliar" is a better word .

On the systemtray: right click anywhere in it, but not on one of the icons, and check "Systemtray settings". It should open a window that allows you to tune the appearance. In there you see an option "Items", check whether Pidgin shows up in there, and, if so, set it to "Always visible". Pidgin should be started though.

On copying the .kde4 folder from another user: I wouldn't do that. What you can do depends on which KDE apps you're using. For example: if you use Kmail / Kontact, you don't want to loose access to your mail. But, in your case it may be merely plasma settings (i.e. the settings that arrange the desktop appearance, incl. widgets, panels -which are widgets actually- and so on). To reset the desktop appearance to a default, the easiest way is to login as the newly created user, and do this:
    Open a terminal window, issue commands below
    Code:
    su YOUR_NORMAL_USERNAME_HERE
    i.e. the username you normally login with. Enter your password when prompted for.
    Code:
    cd ~/
    mkdir OldPlasmaFiles
    mv ~/.kde4/share/config/plasm* ~/OldPlasmaFiles
    Now logout as the new user, and login on your normal account. The desktop now has the default openSUSE appearance, incl. the settings for the systemtray. Once Pidgin is started it should show up in there.

Hope this helps you to get it the way it should be. Please let know about results.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

So this really seems to be an issue with the systray's config.
    Although Knurpht's proposal should work, there's no need to delete the whole plasma config IMHO.

I would try to just remove the systray and add it again.
    - Right-click on the arrow and select "Remove this System Tray"
    - Left-Click on the symbol on the right end of the panel ("Toolbox") and select "Add Widgets..."
    - Enter "system" into the search field and you should see the "System Tray" widget.
    - Just doubleclick on it or drag it to the panel.

You can reorder the widgets in the panel by clicking on the Toolbox symbol and then drag them around.

Or you could just right-click on the desktop and select "Add Panel"->"Default Panel". You should then get a second panel that looks exactly like the first. If the systray is working there, you could just remove the first panel then...

Hi and thanks again.
    However, in the meantime, I've already restored most of my settings to the way I was used to, so there is no need to go back to the old set of settings and try to fix this problem. For me, this would be a waste of time.

By the way, I tried removing and adding back the Systray before and that didn't work. Pidgin also does not appear in the "extra items" section of the Systray configuration.
    Some extra info: I use two screens with a panel on both screens and by default, the application icons show up only on one Systray, while the other one does not have these icons. So, my theory is that with the settings brought over from Suse 11.3, KDE "believed" there was a panel somewhere that had the full set of icons and wouldn't show them as a result. This is just a theory an maybe it's wrong. It doesn't matter anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast