HTTP Error 500 with browser, but nothing in Apache logs...

I’ve migrated a couple sites to a new server now, and they are now working fine. I’ve moved all the files and have the database loaded for a third site, and I get “HTTP Error 500 (Internal Server Error): An unexpected condition was encountered while the server was attempting to fulfill the request” when I visit the domain with a web browser, but there is nothing in /var/log/apache2/error_log and although the vhost config file says to use the /var/log/apache2/[domain]/error_log for error logging for this domain, there is nothing there either. The other two sites were drupal installs. This one is a wordpress install.

Any ideas?

Thank you,

Brandon

Error 500 most of the time is the result of incorrect databast connection / permissions. Make sure database name, database user and permissions are OK.

They should be since everything is the same as far as the database as it was from the last server, but in order to double-check, I’m trying to get phpMyAdmin (pma) working, but my VirtualHost for my pma install is not working… it keeps giving the default server’s htdocs document root instead of the phpmyadmin document root specified in the vhost conf file… so I’ll try to figure out what’s going on with that and come back to this soon. Any other ideas until I can get my pma install working to check that?

Thank you,

Brandon

I’d say this is one on one related to the internal server error.

Okay, I figured out what was happening with pma… I didn’t put “.conf” at the end of the config file name for it. It’s working now, and I reset the database user’s password for the site that is not working to make sure it’s exactly the same as it was in the config file, and that site, which is a wordpress install, is still giving the same internal server error.

Any ideas where I should look next? Still nothing in any logs, including mysql logs.

Thank you,

Brandon

Did you also clear your browser cache, cookies etc. On Joomla sites I’ve seen that as a cause of internal server errors, haven’t got the details anymore.

Just tried it now, in both Firefox and Chromium. Chromium gives me that error. Firefox gives me a blank page with no content. Viewing source gives me nothing but the number 1… lol.

What next?

Thank you again!

Brandon

I hope some others drop in, it’s almost midnight here, have to get a couple of hours of hibernation first :smiley:

Knurpht wrote:
> I hope some others drop in, it’s almost midnight here, have to get a
> couple of hours of hibernation first :smiley:

Typing the error message in google shows various links related to
wordpress problems. Might be worth trying those.

I had an old version of Wordpress. Updating both that and the buddypress plugin resolved the issue. I thought both servers had the same version of PHP, but I’m guessing not because I’m not sure of any other reason why this would have been the problem, but at least it’s fixed. Thank you for your help! Brandon

brasto1972 wrote:
> djh-novell;2562514 Wrote:
>> Knurpht wrote: > I hope some others drop in, it’s almost midnight here,
>> have to get a > couple of hours of hibernation first :smiley: Typing the
>> error message in google shows various links related to wordpress
>> problems. Might be worth trying those. I had an old version of Wordpress. Updating both that and the
> buddypress plugin resolved the issue. I thought both servers had the
> same version of PHP, but I’m guessing not because I’m not sure of any
> other reason why this would have been the problem, but at least it’s
> fixed. Thank you for your help! Brandon

Glad to hear it’s fixed :slight_smile:

Glad it works. Good luck.