Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Truecrypt / Realcrypt No longer works in 12.3. Error: No loop device

Default Truecrypt / Realcrypt No longer works in 12.3. Error: No loop device

How do I correct this problem. I just upgraded from a flawless 11.4 to 12.3(doing a NEW install), and now I cannot access my encrypted containers. How do I get this corrected? ifconfig shows "lo" exists. I have files I need to access. Do I have to activate lo?

Thanks.

Default Re: Truecrypt / Realcrypt No longer works in 12.3. Error: No loop device

You can load loop and make sure it is loaded on boot; as root:
    Code:
    echo loop > /etc/modules-load.d/loop
    modprobe loop

Default Re: Truecrypt / Realcrypt No longer works in 12.3. Error: No loop device

OK great. Using Yast2 to configure the system I added "modprobe loop" to the list of modules to be loaded during boot. Works perfectly now. Thanks

If I might ask... where in yast2 did you manage that?

Thanks,

Monte

Blog Entries

[QUOTE=memilanuk;2575690]If I might ask... where in yast2 did you manage that?/QUOTE]

I expect that was:

Yast --> System --> sysconfig editor --> system --> kernel --> MODULES_LOADED_ON_BOOT
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Thanks... thought that might be it but wasn't sure, and didn't want to break things Appears to have worked fine!

Quote Originally Posted by memilanuk View Post
    Thanks... thought that might be it but wasn't sure, and didn't want to break things Appears to have worked fine!
    I just did a clean install of 13.1 (x64) in a new pc - I have the same problems - doing the modprobe loop fixed the problem but on Yast2 I do not have the
    Yast --> System --> sysconfig editor --> system --> kernel --> MODULES_LOADED_ON_BOOT
    option...
    any suggestions?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by darlac View Post
    I just did a clean install of 13.1 (x64) in a new pc - I have the same problems - doing the modprobe loop fixed the problem but on Yast2 I do not have the
    option...
    any suggestions?
    I think you can create a file in "/etc/modprobe.d" with a command to install the module.
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    I think you can create a file in "/etc/modprobe.d" with a command to install the module.
    thanks,
    I am not sure how to do this, and I do not want to end up with a non-responsive system

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by darlac View Post
    thanks,
    I am not sure how to do this, and I do not want to end up with a non-responsive system
    It looks as if you should instead use "/etc/modules-load.d". There is a man page.

I think you need only create a file in that directory -- maybe name it "loop.conf", containing just the word "loop" (on a line by itself, without the quotes).

As for non-responsive -- if your system doesn't boot, just boot to a live CD or the install CD in rescue mode, mount the root file system, and delete that one file that you created. The change is easy to undo.
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast