Yast Online Update and Apper give different updates

Running 12.3 on laptop with KDE desktop I have just run the on line update from Yast and and about a dozen files were offered and accepted for update, including a kernel update. Accepted all and rebooted on completion as required.

During following period I received a notice that there are 30 updates available for review. Reviewing opens up apper window and updates are mainly multimedia stuff such as vlc, gstreamer, xine, smplayer and related files.

My question is why are these not updated when I do the on line update from Yast?

Budgie2

Assuming your multimedia stuff is from Packman, that wouldn’t be dealt with by YaST Online Update. Packman is a different vendor, and YOU only does official updates and patches from openSUSE’s oss and non-oss update repos.

On 2013-05-31 01:36, Budgie2 wrote:
> My question is why are these not updated when I do the on line update
> from Yast?

Because YOU does not do the same as apper. The first applies only
patches, the second does also updates.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.1 x86_64 “Asparagus” at Telcontar)

Hi and thanks for the replies. Looks like an argument for keeping Apper then, if only for convenience!
Budgie2.

Yes. (this and the update notification)

But you can also install those updates in YaST->Software Management:
Choose the “Repositories” tab (if it’s not there, select it using the “View” chooser) and select “@System” on the left list.
Then right-click on the package list and select “All in this list”->"Update if newer version available. (or select this from the menu “Package”)

Or type “sudo zypper up” in Konsole.

On 2013-06-03 12:36, wolfi323 wrote:
>
> Budgie2;2562228 Wrote:
>> Hi and thanks for the replies. Looks like an argument for keeping Apper
>> then, if only for convenience!

> Yes. (this and the update notification)
>
> But you can also install those updates in YaST->Software Management:
> Choose the “Repositories” tab (if it’s not there, select it using the
> “View” chooser) and select “@System” on the left list.
> Then right-click on the package list and select “All in this
> list”->"Update if newer version available. (or select this from the menu
> “Package”)

Or do it on a single repo, if you wish. You can see the available packages and their versions, and
choose which you want. Conflicts are easier to solve.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from oS 12.3 “Dartmouth” GM (rescate 1))

YOU is for applying patches,upgrades,security fixes provided by openSUSE.
I don’t use YOU ,i open YaST(GTK) and it lists the available updates on the left .I check the list and upgrade or install patches alone.