Thread: Kontact Korganizer not playing nice with timezones and Google Calendar

Default Kontact Korganizer not playing nice with timezones and Google Calendar

Greetings,

I am having an issue with Korganizer not playing nice with my Google calendar. I am normally at UTC-04:00 but I am currently, and for a while at UTC+03:00. Whenever I put an event in Korganizer it shifts the time -07:00 of what I entered it. The system is set to UTC+03:00, Korganizer reflects this and I have reported it as a bug to the respective KDE project.

Here is what I've tried to make Korganizer display it correctly:
    Checked the timezone when entering it in the dialog, that is correct.
    Checked the timezone in the Google Calendar settings, that is correct.
    Checked the timezone in my android devices, those are also correct and show the event at the proper time.
    Tried setting the event to a "Floating" timezone, did not solve the problem because Google will set the zone appropriately.

I have determined the problem does in fact lie with Korganizer or akonadi, not with anything else.

Any ideas how I could some how force the display of the information? Could Akonadi be having a fit because part of the calendar is UTC-04:00 and it can't do both in one calendar resource?

Any thoughts on this would be helpful. Kontact is sort of the cornerstone of my information management and it has been rather frustrating as of late. Who do I have to send money to to make this work right?

I am running KDE 4.10.1 on openSUSE 12.3 x86_64. The rest of this machine is rock solid!

Thanks a bunch in advance for any help or suggestions you can give me!
    If I am going to be spontaneous, I have to plan for it.

www.CubicleNate.com

Default Re: Kontact Korganizer not playing nice with timezones and Google Calendar

Quote Originally Posted by futureboy View Post
    Greetings,

Who do I have to send money to to make this work right?

I am running KDE 4.10.1 on openSUSE 12.3 x86_64. The rest of this machine is rock solid!

Thanks a bunch in advance for any help or suggestions you can give me!
    Sorry, no help but.......
    I only require minimal salary of $55000 per year to be your personal assistant and make sure you get to all your appointments on time regardless of the time in Korganizer.

If I were you I would switch to Google, Thunderbird, Lightning. It seems to work best for me right now.
    Kernel: 4.12.14-lp150.12.7-default x86_64 bits:
    64 Desktop: Gnome 3.26.2
    Distro: openSUSE Leap 15.0

Default Re: Kontact Korganizer not playing nice with timezones and Google Calendar

Well, golly, thanks! If I could pay you for that I certainly would! It looks like the last round of updates has fixed many of the issues. It looks like it is now kind of usable. It doesn't get the length of appointment correct and some appointments are not display in the correct hour but there isn't any consistency as to which it decides to put in the correct time zone and other appointments it does not. It is certainly closer to being correct. I don't know if Thunderbird fits the bill either. Outlook just doesn't display calendar information well... actually, Outlook doesn't do anything very well at all. I have this dream that Kontact will become the premier personal information management software, like it used to be before Akonadi. I don't think that Akonadi is all bad but it is a little buggy and quite slow yet compared to how Kontact worked before. I'm quite confident that it will continue to improve and I have been filing bug reports for any time I have issues with it. I've got to do my part to help out with what I can.
    If I am going to be spontaneous, I have to plan for it.

www.CubicleNate.com