Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help a newbie out with the desktop

Default Help a newbie out with the desktop

Hi all,
    I'm brand new to Linux and I have a couple simple questions. I'm using openSUSE 12.3 and KDE.
    When I minimize any window, YaST, Firefox, etc., the window disappears. I would expect programs to minimize to the task bar (sorry, I don't know the proper name for it...).

Also, I've set the clock/date more than once now but it keeps changing. Am I doing something wrong?

And finally, after unsuccessfully searching, is there a tutorial for absolute beginners? As in, how to install software, how to set the clock...

And, I watched a video from the urban penguin where he advises against using the desktop while logged in as root, but he doesn't specify how to tell whether you're logged in as root, and if you are, how do you change that?

Thanks in advance for the help.
    Vince

Default Re: Help a newbie out with the desktop

Well firstly yes we can call the bottom bar the taskbar (well task manager but close enough methinks
    In any case are you not seeing minimized windows?
    Strange unless you accidentally removed the task manager.
    KDE is very much like windows so you should not have too much difficulty there fding where minimized windows.
    Perhaps a screenshot?

Secondly I have had the clock issue on openSUSE myself, do you dual boot?

As for installing software its quite easy, YAST is your main tool for that and we can help guide you in using it.

And as for root, you should not be logged in as root by default, your settings should be standard user.
    Only root can access root and you really should not enter root unless its needed.

Space Colony Lagrange Point 22° à, 77° Ƅ, 56° ɤ, 99° ɜ

Quote Originally Posted by partsabuser View Post
    Also, I've set the clock/date more than once now but it keeps changing. Am I doing something wrong?
    Are you booting into a live session by any chance ?
    GNOME Version 3.20.2
    openSUSE Leap 42.3 64-bit

www.vazhavandan.blogspot.com

Hi all,
    And finally, after unsuccessfully searching, is there a tutorial for absolute beginners? As in, how to install software, how to set the clock...
    Vince
    un-official guide
    1. Introduction - Beginner's Guide to openSUSE 12.3 / SUSE Linux
    official
    openSUSE 12.3: Start-Up
    GNOME Version 3.20.2

I'm brand new to Linux and I have a couple simple questions. I'm using openSUSE 12.3 and KDE.
    When I minimize any window, YaST, Firefox, etc., the window disappears. I would expect programs to minimize to the task bar (sorry, I don't know the proper name for it...).
    Vince
    Sounds like gnome shell.if so, to locate minimized windows press left "win" key.
    If you are indeed using kde try and change activity to desktop icons by pressing the "three dots on the panel".
    GNOME Version 3.20.2

Madman,
    Thanks for the reply.
    So, this is actually the second reply to you: the first disappeared when I tried to minimize this window to get a screen cap...
    So far the only program that minimizes to the task manager is VLC player. Anything else disappears. Several times now I've had Firefox open with several tabs open and I made the mistake of minimizing the window...
    A screen shot is something I'd prefer not to address in this particular response.
    I do not dual boot. I've recently had my last run-in with windblows...
    Regarding using YaST to install software, I've actually done it. Not ten minutes ago I installed VLC player, only to find it doesn't recognize any of the thousands of FLV files I have. Any idea how to fix that?
    Regarding being logged in as root or not, how does one tell?
    Thanks again,
    Vince

Not ten minutes ago I installed VLC player, only to find it doesn't recognize any of the thousands of FLV files I have. Any idea how to fix that?
    install vlc-codecs
    GNOME Version 3.20.2

vaz,

What is a live session?
    Though I'm not positive, I'm pretty sure I'm using KDE. It seems to match KDE Plasma that is depicted in the user manual.
    Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.
    Pressing the left window button does nothing.
    Vince

What is a live session?
    you can *run* Linux without actually installing onto a machine. This is called a *Live* boot.
    Though I'm not positive, I'm pretty sure I'm using KDE. It seems to match KDE Plasma that is depicted in the user manual.
    Then it is good
    Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.
    you should read through both of them
    Also this out for playing audio and videos on Linux
    https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/ca...ion-guide-126/
    GNOME Version 3.20.2

Well, I can't help but think my install is not right in the head. Problem is, I've never used a Linux machine before so I have no idea what is normal and what isn't. What I DO know is that I didn't skimp on hardware but there is something going on with the graphics; there are weird quirks where different geometric shapes are appearing and then disappearing from different places on the screen. Happens mostly during video play, as in Youtube.

So, per vaz's instructions, I downloaded the VLC codecs but the program still won't play/recognize FLV files...

Edited to say that, no, it is not a live boot. I specifically didn't want to do that. I wanted a full install.
    Thanks,
    Vince

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast