Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 12.3 nvidia with nouveau stuck at Reached Target Graphical Interface

Default Re: 12.3 nvidia with nouveau stuck at Reached Target Graphical Interface

Okay. After blacklisting nouveau, I finally got native resolution screen with nvidia proprietary driver.

Code:
    echo "blacklist nouveau" >> /etc/modprobe.d/50-blacklist.conf
    It seems for some reason the installer did not blacklist it .. I remember I did not have to do this in 12.2.
    I just logged in, so I will let you know how it goes.

-Joon

Default Re: 12.3 nvidia with nouveau stuck at Reached Target Graphical Interface

So far so good. So I guess this happened because nouveau was broken with an update?

-Joon

Blog Entries

Smile Re: 12.3 nvidia with nouveau stuck at Reached Target Graphical Interface

Quote Originally Posted by joonro View Post
    So far so good. So I guess this happened because nouveau was broken with an update?

-Joon
    So how did you load the proprietary nVIDIA video driver? The nouveau driver is built into the kernel and does not ever blacklist it self. To install the proprietary nVIDIA driver manually I would do this:

1. Using my Grub2cmd bash script, add nomodeset as a default kernel load option and run the update to place it in all installed kernel loads. The script is here: GNU Grub2 Command Listing Helper with --help & Input - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

2. Load YaST / System / Sysconfig Editor and set Kernel option No_KMS_IN_INITRD=Yes (Default is NO). KMS=Kernel Mode Switching

3. Download Latest nVIDIA driver you can find here: Installing the nVIDIA Video Driver the Hard Way - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

4. Download My Bash script LNVHW used to install the nVIDIA driver: LNVHW - Load NVIDIA (driver the) Hard Way from runlevel 3 - Version 1.46 - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

5. Edit LNVHW bash file as root to point to your /home/username/Downloads folder using this: SYSEdit - System File Editor - Version 1.50 - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

6. Reboot PC and switch to Run Level 3 : How to Start openSUSE 12.3 with Grub 2 into Run Level 3 - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

7. Run LNVHW to install the nVIDIA driver the hard way. Bash Script will blacklist the nouveau driver for you.

8. Be aware on each update of the kernel, you need to go to run level 3 and reload the nVIDIA driver.

9. If you compile your own kernel, you can use dkms to auto install the nVIDIA driver. For kernel info, look here: openSUSE and Installing New Linux Kernel Versions - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

10. Use this bash script to install the nVIDIA driver and load it into dkms: S.A.N.D.I. - SuSE Automated NVIDIA Driver Installer - Version 1.00 - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by jdmcdaniel3 View Post
    So how did you load the proprietary nVIDIA video driver? The nouveau driver is built into the kernel and does not ever blacklist it self. To install the proprietary nVIDIA driver manually I would do this:
    Thanks for the detailed instructions. Anyway, I just used 1-click installer found https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:NVIDIA_drivers. I thought the installer would automatically blacklist nouveau.

-Joon

Thanks for the detailed instructions. Anyway, I just used 1-click installer found https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:NVIDIA_drivers. I thought the installer would automatically blacklist nouveau.

-Joon
    The rpms do blacklist nouveau.
    And your Xorg.0.log shows that the nvidia kernel module and driver was correctly loaded.
    Your problem was a different one:
    Code:
    [    39.110] (WW) NVIDIA(GPU-0): Unable to read EDID for display device DFP-2
    So the driver could not determine the monitor's resolution and used 640x480 instead.
    Could be caused by a broken cable, a monitor switch or maybe your monitor just doesn't support EDID or is broken.
    Btw, I experienced a similar thing once with my monitor (bad EDID checksum). It worked fine again after unplugging and replugging the power cord.

But you can use "nvidia-settings" to change the resolution...

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    The rpms do blacklist nouveau.
    And your Xorg.0.log shows that the nvidia kernel module and driver was correctly loaded.
    Your problem was a different one:
    Code:
    [    39.110] (WW) NVIDIA(GPU-0): Unable to read EDID for display device DFP-2
    So the driver could not determine the monitor's resolution and used 640x480 instead.
    Could be caused by a broken cable, a monitor switch or maybe your monitor just doesn't support EDID or is broken.
    Btw, I experienced a similar thing once with my monitor (bad EDID checksum). It worked fine again after unplugging and replugging the power cord.

But you can use "nvidia-settings" to change the resolution...
    That makes sense. I have had problems with my monitor and it got fixed with unplugging as well. But could you please explain why did it start working after I blacklisted nouveau? Thanks!!

-Joon

That makes sense. I have had problems with my monitor and it got fixed with unplugging as well. But could you please explain why did it start working after I blacklisted nouveau? Thanks!!
    Don't know, maybe coincidence?

But you must have had nouveau blacklisted before, otherwise the nvidia driver would have failed to load.
    The driver rpms do create a file /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia-desktop.conf (or /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia-default.conf) for that.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Don't know, maybe coincidence?

But you must have had nouveau blacklisted before, otherwise the nvidia driver would have failed to load.
    The driver rpms do create a file /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia-desktop.conf (or /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia-default.conf) for that.
    You are right. There is /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia-desktop.conf with the blacklist. So next time my computer does not boot, I will try unplugging my monitor.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12