Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Special characters in Skype

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    543

    Default Special characters in Skype

    Typing special characters in skype doesn't work.

    My locale:
    LANG=nb_NO.UTF-8
    LC_CTYPE="nb_NO.UTF-8"
    LC_NUMERIC="nb_NO.UTF-8"
    LC_TIME="nb_NO.UTF-8"
    LC_COLLATE="nb_NO.UTF-8"
    LC_MONETARY="nb_NO.UTF-8"
    LC_MESSAGES="nb_NO.UTF-8"
    LC_PAPER="nb_NO.UTF-8"
    LC_NAME="nb_NO.UTF-8"
    LC_ADDRESS="nb_NO.UTF-8"
    LC_TELEPHONE="nb_NO.UTF-8"
    LC_MEASUREMENT="nb_NO.UTF-8"
    LC_IDENTIFICATION="nb_NO.UTF-8"
    LC_ALL=
    Typing the characters æ ø å gives me æ ø Ã¥
    However copy-paste æøå over to skype works fine. It also displays these characters correctly from others.

    I have installed Skype 4.1.0.20 on Opensuse 12.3 with the RPM package from Skype. It has installed a bunch of 32bit libraries.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Earth - Denmark
    Posts
    10,730

    Default Re: Special characters in Skype

    On 05/15/2013 03:26 PM, DJViking wrote:
    > Typing the characters æ ø å gives me æ ø Ã¥
    > However copy-paste æøå over to skype works fine.


    if you type æ ø å into . . . WELL you didn't mention it but i guess
    you use a DE, right? so, if you type into KWrite (if you have it)
    do you get the correct letters in it?

    and, the person on the other end of Skype, what letter do they _see_?
    that is do they see æ ø å, or æ ø Ã¥, or something else entirely?

    btw, if Skype works otherwise i personally wouldn't mess with it too
    much (else break it) and use a work around, like: ae, oe, aa...

    *please* always tell the DE you use.

    --
    dd

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Special characters in Skype

    On 2013-05-15 15:37, dd wrote:
    > btw, if Skype works otherwise i personally wouldn't mess with it too
    > much (else break it) and use a work around, like: ae, oe, aa...


    Skype is basically a Windows software, currently owned by Microsoft. We
    are fortunate that there is a Linux version that is maintained and it
    works - don't ask it for luxuries :-p

    Like having a 3 people talk: video goes out. License issue, I believe.


    If the keyboard issue can be verified on different desktops, then the
    issue should be reported to Microsoft - if they listen. I have someone
    nagging me for weeks why he can no longer use his hotmail account with
    Thunderbird. Official response from Microsoft (they own hotmail): we do
    not support Thunderbird, ask them. Use outlook instead).

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.1 x86_64 "Asparagus" at Telcontar)

  4. #4

    Default Re: Special characters in Skype

    Carlos E. R. wrote:
    > I have someone
    > nagging me for weeks why he can no longer use his hotmail account with
    > Thunderbird. Official response from Microsoft (they own hotmail): we do
    > not support Thunderbird, ask them. Use outlook instead).


    Sounds like something useful the EU could chase up ...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    543

    Default Re: Special characters in Skype

    I am using the latest and greatest of KDE 4.10.

    Typing these special characters everywhere else in KDE and other Apps works.

    When I type æ ø å, both myself and the recipient sees æ ø Ã¥,


    I found a hack solution that works for now:
    user@machine:~> export LC_ALL="no_NO.ISO-8859-1"
    user@machine:~> skype
    Now when I type these characters in Skype it displays correctly both for me and my recipients.

    However I don't like this fix. I want to be able to use my system default locale which is UTF-8

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Earth - Denmark
    Posts
    10,730

    Default Re: Special characters in Skype

    On 05/15/2013 05:26 PM, DJViking wrote:
    > Typing these special characters everywhere else in KDE and other Apps
    > works.


    then i would say/guess the problem is in Skype, and not openSUSE or KDE..

    suggest you post to/consult with https://support.skype.com/

    on the other hand there are thousands and thousands of folks using
    Skype on openSUSE who have not mentioned the problem..

    i myself have not seen it and i'm pretty sure i have typed all of
    these with no ill effect: Jeg vil købe den næste øl eller ål

    if you PM me your skype ID i will skriver til dig.

    --
    dd


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    543

    Default Re: Special characters in Skype

    What locale setting do you use when running Skype?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Earth - Denmark
    Posts
    10,730

    Default Re: Special characters in Skype

    > What locale setting do you use when running Skype?

    in Skype setup i have:
    -"Set program language to:" English(English)

    my openSUSE system language is set for English (US)
    System Country: USA
    Clock/Time zone is set to
    -Region: Europe
    -Time zone: Denmark

    Keyboard: Danish

    Code:
    denverd@linux-os114:~> locale
    LANG=en_US.UTF-8
    LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_ALL=
    --
    dd


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Special characters in Skype

    On 2013-05-15 16:56, Dave Howorth wrote:
    > Carlos E. R. wrote:
    >> I have someone
    >> nagging me for weeks why he can no longer use his hotmail account with
    >> Thunderbird. Official response from Microsoft (they own hotmail): we do
    >> not support Thunderbird, ask them. Use outlook instead).

    >
    > Sounds like something useful the EU could chase up ...



    Dunno... they claim that the failure is inside Thunderbird, not their
    fault nor business.


    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.1 x86_64 "Asparagus" at Telcontar)

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    543

    Default Re: Special characters in Skype

    Quote Originally Posted by DenverD View Post
    > What locale setting do you use when running Skype?

    in Skype setup i have:
    -"Set program language to:" English(English)

    my openSUSE system language is set for English (US)
    System Country: USA
    Clock/Time zone is set to
    -Region: Europe
    -Time zone: Denmark

    Keyboard: Danish

    Code:
    denverd@linux-os114:~> locale
    LANG=en_US.UTF-8
    LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_ALL=
    --
    dd
    Setting my locale to en_US.UTF-8 didn't work in respect to skype

    Code:
    username@machine:~> locale
    LANG=en_US.UTF-8
    LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8
    username@machine:~> skype
    It only works with no_NO.ISO-8859-1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •