Updated Firefox to 21, now says Flash not installed

I have Firefox installed manually (instead of using the repo one) and just updated to version 21. Now it can’t find Flash. I have the plugin installed in:

/usr/lib64/browser-plugins/libflashplayer.so

and created a simlink to that in the “firefox/plugins” folder. This has been working in all previous versions of firefox but is not working now. Did they change how they find installed plugins?

I found the answer but I’m not sure why this wasn’t needed before. You need to create a symlink that points to the libflashplayer.so in this new folder (which needs to be created):

/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so

This was never required in previous versions.

FWIW

no problems found here, updated :-

< MozillaFirefox-20.0-2.1.x86_64 > MozillaFirefox-21.0-2.1.x86_64
< MozillaFirefox-branding-openSUSE-6.1-3.1.x86_64 > MozillaFirefox-branding-openSUSE-21-2.1.x86_64

last flash update :-

< flash-player-11.2.202.275-2.12.1.x86_64 > flash-player-11.2.202.280-2.16.1.x86_64

On 05/14/2013 08:46 PM, 6tr6tr wrote:
> Did they change how they find installed plugins?

why ask us if ‘they’ changed something?

wouldn’t asking ‘them’ directly be a lot faster, and much more
authoritative?

dd

No problems here with my manually installed 64-bit Firefox’s, or the distribution version. The 64-bit Flash plugin appears in all four versions.

I have a plugins folder in my .mozilla folder with a symbolic link to the file in the location you specify in the quoted post.

In case anyone is wondering what four versions.

Distro release, manually installed release, beta, and nightly.

Might problem be with type: *.f4v or/and Adobe Flash Access DRM (Digital Rights Management) modules ?

Was also trying sort out problem with a YouTube video (purchased copy of “True Grit”) then was advised

In order to watch YouTube movies and TV shows on computers running Linux OS you must install a HAL module. Please follow the instructions provided in the link below to install the necessary module:

Problems playing protected video content | Ubuntu Linux, Flash Player 11

If you have any questions or concerns, please write back and I’ll be happy to help out.

Puzzled, self and other users, long term viewers of YouTube videos rarely with problems.

The HAL module is the Hardware Abstraction Layer

[FONT=inherit]Note:[/FONT]
If the Hardware Abstraction Layer module is missing, Flash Player still functions. However, it cannot play protected content that requires the Adobe Flash Access DRM (Digital Rights Management) module.

Was first video purchased in ages, and it either with problem, or depends on an app which does NOT work !

Work through YouTube advice…

openSuse and other Linux versions

Some Linux distributions have their own way of managing packages, notably openSUSE. openSUSE uses RPM as its native package format. However, it has its own high-level tool to manage system software installation.
.rpm installs on openSuse (32 bit and 64 bit) are temperamental. They sometimes throw the generic error " Message did not receive a reply (timeout by message bus)".

In these cases, download the .tar.gz archive instead and place Flash Player (libflashplayer.so) in this location:

/usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so

OK can see is there.

linux-bnn6:~ # zypper ps
No processes using deleted files found.
linux-bnn6:~ # l /usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 19233136 Jul  6 13:58 /usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so
linux-bnn6:~ # l /usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin/
total 18808
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root     4096 Jul  6 13:58 ./
drwxr-xr-x 97 root root    20480 Jul  6 14:14 ../
-rw-r--r--  1 root root 19233136 Jul  6 13:58 libflashplayer.so
linux-bnn6:~ # 

Try the recommended test :

Test protected video content playback using the demo player

First, launch the Adobe demo video player container: http://drmtest2.adobe.com:8080/SVP/SampleVideoPlayer_FP.html
Note the Adobe Flash Player version in the lower left of the demo video shell. Make sure that indicate 11.2 or higher

Play sample protected content.
Enter the following URL in the field "Input the video URL: (case-sensitive)

http://drmtest2.adobe.com:8080/Content/anonymous.f4v

Press the [Play] button at the bottom of the video container.

The anonymous.f4v protected content should play. (This video is called the Getty “train” video.)

The demo video loader opens

However it stalls saying “Downloading the Flash Access library

Left it running to see how long it may take, (watched other video) with no change closed the TAB page.

Also subscribed and keep up to date: fluendo-codecs-complete-bundle

Tried view some other .f4v with similar problems.

Is the problem be with type: *.f4v or/and Adobe Flash Access DRM (Digital Rights Management) module ?

Well the problem was Flash in Firefox, not a disc won’t play.

Appears to me that somehow the OP installed a 32-bit version of Firefox, since the path he supplied in his solution points to the 32-bit flash plugin, where before it pointed to the 64-bit plugin.

On 07/06/2013 05:56 PM, rafter22 wrote:
> Well the problem was Flash in Firefox, not a disc won’t play.

how do you know that? did you two PM the details?

dd

On 2013-07-06 18:11, dd wrote:
> On 07/06/2013 05:56 PM, rafter22 wrote:
>> Well the problem was Flash in Firefox, not a disc won’t play.
>
> how do you know that? did you two PM the details?

The path he posted is the 32 bit path.

First post said:

/usr/lib64/browser-plugins/libflashplayer.so

second post said:

/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so

The difference is obviously that the second one IS the 32 bit path. The
reasonable explanation is that 6tr6tr installed the 32 bit mozilla by
mistake :slight_smile:

I did not notice till rafter22 said it :slight_smile:

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.3 x86_64 “Dartmouth” at Telcontar)