Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Easiest way to install 12.3 on old PC without DVD?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Easiest way to install 12.3 on old PC without DVD?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    And in addition to that you can also start the installation system from the hard disk, i.e. you don't necessarily need the NetinstallCD.
    See here: openSUSE 12.3: Chapter 1. Installation with YaST
    I "hid" that, since the OP already knows about the Net install.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by STurtle View Post
    I still don't understand why I cannot download openSUSE directly on the machine, and then create a new bootable partition on the harddisk that then performs the installation into yet another partition on the machine. I have plenty of space on the HDD, why do I need an external fetish medium at all?
    The tread title was "Easiest way to install 12.3 on old PC without DVD? " and IMHO the easiest way is via CD. Copy to hard drive for an install, or using USB, while doable, are IMHO not the easiest for a user who is not familiar with such.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    The tread title was "Easiest way to install 12.3 on old PC without DVD? " and IMHO the easiest way is via CD. Copy to hard drive for an install, or using USB, while doable, are IMHO not the easiest for a user who is not familiar with such.
    You're right. One might argue if imagewriter is easier than burning a CD with k3b, but the latter still is the most common way.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

OK, but the question was:
    I still don't understand why I cannot download openSUSE directly on the machine, and then create a new bootable partition on the harddisk that then performs the installation into yet another partition on the machine. I have plenty of space on the HDD, why do I need an external fetish medium at all?

Thanks for the replies, but my question is really more philosophical: Why doesn't openSUSE support a direct installation from itself nowadays?

As indicated in my first thread, I already finished that particular installation using a CD-R and Net-Install. I agree, using a CD/DVD is indeed easy in most circumstances, but it even strikes me as odd to burn a DVD-RW just to update my modern laptop. It is pretty much the only time I need an optical drive at all! I guess optical media is now fading like floppy disks did. Even USB-Sticks are on the way out, since people just store stuff online (for better or worse, it is what is happening).

If it is possible to install openSUSE from within Windows, then it ought to be possible from Linux as well, should it not be?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    And in addition to that you can also start the installation system from the hard disk, i.e. you don't necessarily need the NetinstallCD. See here: openSUSE 12.3: Chapter 1. Installation with YaST
    Thanks, I did not realize that the HardDisk option did exist. I will surely give that one a try for the next time! It might not be easier in terms of manual commandline plumbing that is required, but easier in the sense that it does not need any external media.

Thanks, I did not realize that the HardDisk option did exist. I will surely give that one a try for the next time! It might not be easier in terms of manual commandline plumbing that is required, but easier in the sense that it does not need any external media.
    Yes, and you can do this from Linux.
    Of course you would have to specify the installation source manually if you copied the whole DVD's content to your harddisk... (or specify the online repo)

Thanks for the replies, but my question is really more philosophical: Why doesn't openSUSE support a direct installation from itself nowadays?
    Not sure if I understand that correctly: Do you mean to upgrade itself to the next version without a CD/DVD?

That is of course possible, I do that all the time:
    Just edit your repos to point to the wanted openSUSE version, and then call "zypper dup". (Or use YaST->Sofware Management to do that)

But note that this is only supported from one version to the next. You can try to jump versions, but might encounter issues then.

Blog Entries

IMHO its a good question, ... but I do think next time you may wish to spend a bit more time composing the title, as your title asks a different question, and with such an inaccurate title you may end up garnering the attention of a different group of people than what you actually get. And you may also end up getting different answers than you wish.

Note in part, that what you ask, can be accomplished by a zypper update from one openSUSE version to a newer openSUSE version.

The other ways would be from either a formatted internal hard drive install (from the same, or from a different operating system), or from an external hard drive install, which in effect is typically (but not always) a USB.

Having typed that, I note the worlds' most popular operating system, when not distributed by OEM, is still distributed on the CD/DVD media, so that CD/DVD media is far from fading.

Likely if you think it worthwhile for the distribution to change its approach, then the place to propose this is openSUSE fate ( https://features.opensuse.org/ ) followed up by a corresponding post on the appropriate mailing list https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Mai...s_subscription .
    Last edited by oldcpu; 29-May-2013 at 07:46.

On 2013-05-29, oldcpu <oldcpu@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:
    > Having typed that, I note the worlds' most popular operating system,
    > when not distributed by OEM, is still distributed on the CD/DVD media,
    > so that CD/DVD media is far from fading.

You are of course correct, but OEM installs constitute the majority of cases and IIRC only <10% of users of OEM installs
    ever insert a CD/DVD/USB that boots into an alternative environment. The absence of CD/DVD drives from many modern
    laptops probably reflects this position. However, although I can see the attraction of proposing partition->partition
    installs, I can't see how it offers much improvement over USB->partition installs which are presently available.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12