Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Repacking applications not fully contained in repository RPMs

  1. #1

    Default Repacking applications not fully contained in repository RPMs

    To go straight to the point: I've had multiple issues (most probably my own fault) with my openSUSE installation and since I am a new user who doesn't know very much Iwant to make a clean install. However, I have etlegacy installed, which requires enemy-territory-data. This is downloaded as a tiny rpm containing a script which in turn downloads about 400 MiB from an ftp server. I want to avoid redownloading all that, but don't know how to pack it as a rpm. I don't want to just copy folders because I'm afraid of backuping the problems which I want to get rid of.

    In case anyone wonders what my issues are:
    • If I enable autologon, it doesn't work, even if I configure to not ask for password and other things like selected user when loading the logon screen
    • In energy settings I have configured the power button to ask what to do when pressed, however it just shuts down the computer
    • fglrx doesn't work properly (render problems)
    • wma decoding doesn't work in amarok (nor in any other media player, probably). I have installed all the gstreamer codecs and ffmpeg, to no avail


    I'm moving from Windows xp (I mantain a dual boot, however it's at BIOS level since both systems have been installed on independent drives, so the systems don't interact). My previous experience with linux is very limited, and with openSUSE it's totally non-existant.
    Thanks in advance

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    27,196
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Repacking applications not fully contained in repository RPMs

    Hi
    Rather than an rpm, you could use makeself? Else just use an archive utility to compress it into a tarball for copying?
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  3. #3

    Default Re: Repacking applications not fully contained in repository RPMs

    But wouldn't that mess my package manager? I mean, it would not have the proper dependencies listed. enemy-territory-data is required as dependency by etlegacy

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Repacking applications not fully contained in repository RPMs

    On 2013-05-10 19:56, rogombor wrote:
    >
    > To go straight to the point: I've had multiple issues (most probably my
    > own fault) with my openSUSE installation and since I am a new user who
    > doesn't know very much Iwant to make a clean install. However, I have
    > etlegacy installed, which requires enemy-territory-data. This is
    > downloaded as a tiny rpm containing a script which in turn downloads
    > about 400 MiB from an ftp server. I want to avoid redownloading all
    > that, but don't know how to pack it as a rpm. I don't want to just copy
    > folders because I'm afraid of backuping the problems which I want to get
    > rid of.


    Well, you probably have to backup whatever you downloaded for etlegacy
    and its configuration files. Not knowing that program, I can't tell you
    what to backup. It is also possible that after you restore the backup
    the program insists on getting all the files again from internet.


    > In case anyone wonders what my issues are:


    Well, you can try asking here about each issue, one by one :-)

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.1 x86_64 "Asparagus" at Telcontar)

  5. #5

    Default Re: Repacking applications not fully contained in repository RPMs

    Quote Originally Posted by robin_listas View Post
    On 2013-05-10 19:56, rogombor wrote:
    >
    > To go straight to the point: I've had multiple issues (most probably my
    > own fault) with my openSUSE installation and since I am a new user who
    > doesn't know very much Iwant to make a clean install. However, I have
    > etlegacy installed, which requires enemy-territory-data. This is
    > downloaded as a tiny rpm containing a script which in turn downloads
    > about 400 MiB from an ftp server. I want to avoid redownloading all
    > that, but don't know how to pack it as a rpm. I don't want to just copy
    > folders because I'm afraid of backuping the problems which I want to get
    > rid of.


    Well, you probably have to backup whatever you downloaded for etlegacy
    and its configuration files. Not knowing that program, I can't tell you
    what to backup. It is also possible that after you restore the backup
    the program insists on getting all the files again from internet.


    > In case anyone wonders what my issues are:


    Well, you can try asking here about each issue, one by one :-)

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.1 x86_64 "Asparagus" at Telcontar)
    Thank you for your kindness and patience, but my main problem is the fgrlx related one, and I've already asked about it in the hardware forum with no responses. Despite my updates, the thread is buried in page two by now. I want to try installing it with no more than the basic installation to see if it works then.
    I think a probable workaround would be unpacking the rpm, looking at the script and writing an equivalent one that uses the same files, but packed inside the rpm. The thing is I'd have to learn how to do it.
    Cheers (btw, I'm actually a native spanish speaker, I just reply here in English because this forum is in English and it's the language most people speak here. Are you in forosuse.org?)

  6. #6

    Default Re: Repacking applications not fully contained in repository RPMs

    Quote Originally Posted by rogombor View Post
    I think a probable workaround would be unpacking the rpm, looking at the script and writing an equivalent one that uses the same files, but packed inside the rpm. The thing is I'd have to learn how to do it.
    The package "enemy-territory-data" copies the script to download the data to /var/adm/update-scripts, where zypper then sees and executes it.
    But rpm doesn't do that. So you could install the enemy-territory-data package manually with rpm to fulfill the dependency but not having to download anything.
    You must copy the game data then manually to the expected place, of course. (the data is in /usr/lib/enemy-territory/)
    If you then install enemy-territory with YaST or zypper it will find that enemy-territory-data is already installed so it won't install it (and download the game data) any more.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Repacking applications not fully contained in repository RPMs

    Thanks wolfi, you're just awesome lol
    Cheers!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Repacking applications not fully contained in repository RPMs

    On 2013-05-11 00:46, rogombor wrote:
    >
    > robin_listas;2555801 Wrote:



    > Thank you for your kindness and patience, but my main problem is the
    > fgrlx related one, and I've already asked about it in the hardware forum
    > with no responses. Despite my updates, the thread is buried in page two
    > by now. I want to try installing it with no more than the basic
    > installation to see if it works then.


    Sorry, I have very little experience with ATI video problems.

    > I think a probable workaround would be unpacking the rpm, looking at
    > the script and writing an equivalent one that uses the same files, but
    > packed inside the rpm. The thing is I'd have to learn how to do it.


    Rpms are not so simple... but I see you got a better answer about that.

    > Cheers (btw, I'm actually a native spanish speaker, I just reply here
    > in English because this forum is in English and it's the language most
    > people speak here. Are you in forosuse.org?)


    Je, como yo :-)

    No, this is is the only forum in which I participate because it has an
    nntp <--> http gateway. I do not use a web browser, but thunderbird.
    News :-)

    It is explained in the froum FAQ somewhere.... here:
    openSUSE
    Forums FAQ - How do I use NNTP (newsreader) to access these forums?


    It is probably an inheritance from Novell. SuSE help and communication
    system was based on email lists. Novell used a private nntp forum
    instead. At some time I suppose people started to prefer forums as a way
    of communication. IIRC, there were two main forums, one at Novell, and
    another one externally. Someone made a gateway to interconnect both
    systems (hhtp and nntp) used at the Novell side. One day both forums
    were joined, and kept the nntp gateway - for which I'm glad. I don't get
    as many gadgets as you, but I can answer more questions and faster. If
    you are interested, ask in the support-information area,, someone is
    bound to know the full story :-)


    As the Spanish speaking forum is not integrated in the openSUSE
    infrastructure but is independent and has no such gateway, I don't
    participate. Sorry :-}

    (there is a Spanish mail list in which I participate, though)


    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.1 x86_64 "Asparagus" at Telcontar)

  9. #9

    Default Re: Repacking applications not fully contained in repository RPMs

    Did a full reinstall, etlegacy worked like a charm with those commands
    While fglrx is still a headache, and wma doesn't work, at least I have no logon or energy problems. I can use the free radeon driver for now, and most of my collection is mp3 so no problems

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •