KDE 4.10.3 update - broken kdebase4-session package?

Hi there,

Has anybody on openSUSE 12.3 i586 successfully upgraded KDE to 4.10.3 from the KDE:Release:410 repo? I just tried to update, and I get a bunch of errors relating to the kdebase4-session package, which seems to still be at version 4.10.2. As far as I can tell from the KDE:Release:410 repo page, the package successfully built for i586, but it appears that it’s the wrong version. Any ideas?

Thanks!

I encounterd the same. Ran 'zypper up" again 2 minutes ago, all seems well now. Will get back here with results.

Hi, thanks for confirming. Are you on x86_64? I’m on i586, and I just tried again (but using YaST package manager) and I’m still seeing the same error. Here’s the link to the repo, where the kdebase4-session package is still at 4.10.2.

And now it is on 4.10.3…

Ah, good. Now it’s starting the update, everything is clean now.

Thanks!

zypper up did run fine, could not login, moved to gdm, logged in on KDE, all well, updated kdebase4-session package installed, now moving back to kdm.
All this on 64bit.

Did you folks get kdm to work? I’m stuck using gdm, because when I set /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager to use kdp I just get a terminal login screen. I don’t know how to proceed with debugging. Suggestions?

Yeah, this isn’t good. On i586 I was able to do a clean update, but KDM won’t start. Thanks to YaST I can change the /etc/sysconfig displaymanager setting to “xdm” and log into my graphical desktop. I checked for updates, though, and there aren’t any. So I don’t know what to do now.

This update is definitely no good, stay away for now.

Yeah, I had that too.
The problem is that kdm as started now as user “kdm” (instead of “root”), and has insufficient permissions for some directories.
Until this is fixed you can workaround the problem by editing the file /usr/share/kde4/config/kdm/kdmrc: search for the line

GreeterUID=kdm

and put a ‘#’ character in front of it. (or just delete the whole line)
After that, kdm should start up fine again (with “root” permissions)…

Thanks a lot for the tip!

I filed a bug: Access Denied

Thanks you very much!

Me too have this problem, but I cannor found /usr/share/kde4/config/kdm/kdmrc file.
reading the README I supposed that should be also a background file, so I copyed from the backup opensuse 12.3 installation but I havent the

GreeterUID=kdm

line, in my /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager I tryed with DISPLAYMANAGER=kdm and kdm4, but nothing, now I can login with a strange grey screen (may be xdm…??) and a small window in the lower left screen called xconsole, that result open also after logged in plasma kde.
suggestion??? apart to wait a better update?? :slight_smile:
thnx, ciao, pier :slight_smile:

The file /usr/share/kde4/config/kdm/kdmrc is included in the kdm package. Are you sure it’s installed?

The issue is known and we are already working on a fix. The thread is correct that this is caused by the fact that KDM is now running under the user kdm and that this user doesn’t have access to a particular directory which is currently used to store temporary X authorization files.

There are two quick resolutions. The first one is named already which is bringing the user root back to run KDM. The other one is to make a different change in the file /usr/share/kde4/config/kdm/kdmrc. There is an entry commented there regarding AuthDir. If one changes this in “AuthDir=/var/lib/kdm/authfiles”, then KDM will also nicely start again.

Hopefully the fix will be published in the KDE:Release:410 repository in the next couple of hours.

Raymond

Thanks !

Login as root on the text console worked. Then “startx” to start the desktop. Afterwards the file can be modified with e.g. kwrite. Reboot :-).

Michael

P.S.: login as user, followed by “startx” did not work, of course.

but I haven’t neither AuthDir in my /usr/share/kde4/config/kdm/kdmrc, is there a way to generate it automatically as README file declare???
thnx, ciao, pier, :slight_smile:

According to your last post you don’t even have a kdmrc, do you?
Well, if you have one, delete it.

Then run (as root)

zypper in -f kdm-4.10.3

After that you should have the default /usr/share/kde4/config/kdm/kdmrc .
Then you can change those lines mentioned. Do this before you reboot, otherwise kdm won’t be able start.

And btw. that “strange grey screen” is xdm, yes. This is expected if you don’t have kdm installed.

An update (which contains the fix) of kdebase4-workspace & KDM was just published in the KDE:Release:410 repository.

Please wait with installing!
This one still does not work because of a typo!

Working packages have arrived in the repos.

It should be safe to upgrade now…:wink: