Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 28

Thread: KDE 4.10.3 update - broken kdebase4-session package?

  1. #11

    Default Re: KDE 4.10.3 update - broken kdebase4-session package?

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Yeah, I had that too.
    The problem is that kdm as started now as user "kdm" (instead of "root"), and has insufficient permissions for some directories.
    Until this is fixed you can workaround the problem by editing the file /usr/share/kde4/config/kdm/kdmrc: search for the line
    Code:
    GreeterUID=kdm
    and put a '#' character in front of it. (or just delete the whole line)
    After that, kdm should start up fine again (with "root" permissions)...
    Thanks you very much!

  2. #12

    Default Re: KDE 4.10.3 update - broken kdebase4-session package?

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Yeah, I had that too.
    The problem is that kdm as started now as user "kdm" (instead of "root"), and has insufficient permissions for some directories.
    Until this is fixed you can workaround the problem by editing the file /usr/share/kde4/config/kdm/kdmrc: search for the line
    Code:
    GreeterUID=kdm or anything other
    and put a '#' character in front of it. (or just delete the whole line)
    After that, kdm should start up fine again (with "root" permissions)...
    Me too have this problem, but I cannor found /usr/share/kde4/config/kdm/kdmrc file.
    reading the README I supposed that should be also a background file, so I copyed from the backup opensuse 12.3 installation but I havent the
    Code:
    GreeterUID=kdm
    line, in my /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager I tryed with DISPLAYMANAGER=kdm and kdm4, but nothing, now I can login with a strange grey screen (may be xdm..??) and a small window in the lower left screen called xconsole, that result open also after logged in plasma kde.
    suggestion??? apart to wait a better update??
    thnx, ciao, pier :-)

  3. #13

    Default Re: KDE 4.10.3 update - broken kdebase4-session package?

    Quote Originally Posted by pier_andreit View Post
    Me too have this problem, but I cannor found /usr/share/kde4/config/kdm/kdmrc file.
    reading the README I supposed that should be also a background file, so I copyed from the backup opensuse 12.3 installation but I havent the
    Code:
    GreeterUID=kdm
    line, in my /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager I tryed with DISPLAYMANAGER=kdm and kdm4, but nothing, now I can login with a strange grey screen (may be xdm..??) and a small window in the lower left screen called xconsole, that result open also after logged in plasma kde.
    suggestion??? apart to wait a better update??
    thnx, ciao, pier :-)
    The file /usr/share/kde4/config/kdm/kdmrc is included in the kdm package. Are you sure it's installed?

  4. #14

    Default Re: KDE 4.10.3 update - broken kdebase4-session package?

    The issue is known and we are already working on a fix. The thread is correct that this is caused by the fact that KDM is now running under the user kdm and that this user doesn't have access to a particular directory which is currently used to store temporary X authorization files.

    There are two quick resolutions. The first one is named already which is bringing the user root back to run KDM. The other one is to make a different change in the file /usr/share/kde4/config/kdm/kdmrc. There is an entry commented there regarding AuthDir. If one changes this in "AuthDir=/var/lib/kdm/authfiles", then KDM will also nicely start again.

    Hopefully the fix will be published in the KDE:Release:410 repository in the next couple of hours.

    Raymond

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Braunschweig (Germany)
    Posts
    272

    Default Re: KDE 4.10.3 update - broken kdebase4-session package?

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Yeah, I had that too.
    The problem is that kdm as started now as user "kdm" (instead of "root"), and has insufficient permissions for some directories.
    Until this is fixed you can workaround the problem by editing the file /usr/share/kde4/config/kdm/kdmrc: search for the line
    Code:
    GreeterUID=kdm
    and put a '#' character in front of it. (or just delete the whole line)
    After that, kdm should start up fine again (with "root" permissions)...
    Thanks !

    Login as root on the text console worked. Then "startx" to start the desktop. Afterwards the file can be modified with e.g. kwrite. Reboot :-).

    Michael

    P.S.: login as user, followed by "startx" did not work, of course.

  6. #16

    Default Re: KDE 4.10.3 update - broken kdebase4-session package?

    Quote Originally Posted by tittiatcoke View Post
    The issue is known and we are already working on a fix. The thread is correct that this is caused by the fact that KDM is now running under the user kdm and that this user doesn't have access to a particular directory which is currently used to store temporary X authorization files.

    There are two quick resolutions. The first one is named already which is bringing the user root back to run KDM. The other one is to make a different change in the file /usr/share/kde4/config/kdm/kdmrc. There is an entry commented there regarding AuthDir. If one changes this in "AuthDir=/var/lib/kdm/authfiles", then KDM will also nicely start again.

    Hopefully the fix will be published in the KDE:Release:410 repository in the next couple of hours.

    Raymond
    but I haven't neither AuthDir in my /usr/share/kde4/config/kdm/kdmrc, is there a way to generate it automatically as README file declare???
    thnx, ciao, pier, :-)

  7. #17

    Default Re: KDE 4.10.3 update - broken kdebase4-session package?

    Quote Originally Posted by pier_andreit View Post
    but I haven't neither AuthDir in my /usr/share/kde4/config/kdm/kdmrc, is there a way to generate it automatically as README file declare???
    thnx, ciao, pier, :-)
    According to your last post you don't even have a kdmrc, do you?
    Well, if you have one, delete it.

    Then run (as root)
    Code:
    zypper in -f kdm-4.10.3
    After that you should have the default /usr/share/kde4/config/kdm/kdmrc .
    Then you can change those lines mentioned. Do this before you reboot, otherwise kdm won't be able start.

    And btw. that "strange grey screen" is xdm, yes. This is expected if you don't have kdm installed.

  8. #18

    Default Re: KDE 4.10.3 update - broken kdebase4-session package?

    An update (which contains the fix) of kdebase4-workspace & KDM was just published in the KDE:Release:410 repository.

  9. #19

    Default Re: KDE 4.10.3 update - broken kdebase4-session package?

    Quote Originally Posted by tittiatcoke View Post
    An update (which contains the fix) of kdebase4-workspace & KDM was just published in the KDE:Release:410 repository.
    Please wait with installing!
    This one still does not work because of a typo!

  10. #20

    Default Re: KDE 4.10.3 update - broken kdebase4-session package?

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Please wait with installing!
    This one still does not work because of a typo!
    Working packages have arrived in the repos.

    It should be safe to upgrade now...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •