Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: desktop

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    267

    Default desktop

    Whats going on with my desktop. Whenever I logon to desktop I don't have any icons. I have to switch my activities back and forth before my icons reappear.
    Mike

    AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 435 Processor, (RAM): 8.0 GiB, openSUSE Leap 42.2, (x86_64)
    KDE: 4.10, ATI Radeon HD Graphics

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Space Colony Lagrange Point 22° à, 77° Ƅ, 56° ɤ, 99° ɜ
    Posts
    3,166

    Default Re: desktop

    Quote Originally Posted by mike7757 View Post
    Whats going on with my desktop. Whenever I logon to desktop I don't have any icons. I have to switch my activities back and forth before my icons reappear.
    Next time try refresh desktop (Alt+F2 followed by 'r' and "enter").
    GNOME Version 3.20.2
    openSUSE Leap 42.3 64-bit

    www.vazhavandan.blogspot.com

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    17,076

    Default Re: desktop

    On Sun, 05 May 2013 18:26:02 +0000, mike7757 wrote:

    > Whats going on with my desktop. Whenever I logon to desktop I don't have
    > any icons. I have to switch my activities back and forth before my icons
    > reappear.


    You might tell us what version of openSUSE you've installed and what
    desktop environment you're using.

    Jim



    --
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    12,745
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: desktop

    Quote Originally Posted by mike7757 View Post
    Whenever I logon to desktop I don't have any icons. I have to switch my activities back and forth before my icons reappear.
    It sounds as if your session is starting in an activity without icons on the desktop.

    I'm not sure what's with activities. I use two. When I first login, it varies as to which activity shows up. I only ever shutdown/logout/reboot from a particular activity, but the next login is just as often to the other defined activity.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    12,745
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: desktop

    Quote Originally Posted by hendersj View Post
    You might tell us what version of openSUSE you've installed and what
    desktop environment you're using.
    That information was in his signature line.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    17,076

    Default Re: desktop

    On Sun, 05 May 2013 20:16:01 +0000, nrickert wrote:

    > hendersj;2554108 Wrote:
    >> You might tell us what version of openSUSE you've installed and what
    >> desktop environment you're using.

    > That information was in his signature line.


    Ah, somehow I missed that, thanks.

    Jim



    --
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    267

    Default Re: desktop

    "Coincidentally" I would also like to point out that none of this was going on until the latest update.

    Also
    When my screen saver has been active for a while, there will be around a 10 second dark screen when returning to desktop.

    Just a little different than normal.
    Mike

    AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 435 Processor, (RAM): 8.0 GiB, openSUSE Leap 42.2, (x86_64)
    KDE: 4.10, ATI Radeon HD Graphics

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    12,745
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: desktop

    Quote Originally Posted by mike7757 View Post
    Also
    When my screen saver has been active for a while, there will be around a 10 second dark screen when returning to desktop.
    I am guessing that is the radeon graphics driver.

    On my system with radeon graphics, I see the same problem. However, the dark screen lasts a bit longer than 10 seconds. It lasts until I reboot.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    267

    Default Re: desktop

    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    I am guessing that is the radeon graphics driver.

    On my system with radeon graphics, I see the same problem. However, the dark screen lasts a bit longer than 10 seconds. It lasts until I reboot.
    I will be happy with 10 seconds and shut my mouth....
    Mike

    AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 435 Processor, (RAM): 8.0 GiB, openSUSE Leap 42.2, (x86_64)
    KDE: 4.10, ATI Radeon HD Graphics

  10. #10

    Default Re: desktop

    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mike7757 View Post
    Also
    When my screen saver has been active for a while, there will be around a 10 second dark screen when returning to desktop.
    I am guessing that is the radeon graphics driver.

    On my system with radeon graphics, I see the same problem. However, the dark screen lasts a bit longer than 10 seconds. It lasts until I reboot.
    No, that's a bug in KDE's screenlocker code already present in 4.10.0... It only happens with some screensavers though.
    See:
    https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=224200
    https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=314859

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •