Thread: Libre Office painfully slow to load

Default Libre Office painfully slow to load

Hi all

I'm a confirmed OpenSuse user (now on 12.2). One of the things that bugs me is that applications seem, from time to time, to suddenly start playing up when they were working properly before. I'm guessing this is caused by imperfect upgrades, but its' hard to track down. This time it's Libre Office. Suddenly it takes forever to load, to the point where I think it's not working at all. It happens whether I open through the applications menu or by double-clicking an office file. It takes me back to the early days of OpenOffice (and even earlier to StarOffice), which was so slow that it steered me away from Linux as a business system for some years.

Is anyone else having this problem? Either way, any ideas on how to handle it, and the general issue about how to approach upgrades to avoid unpleasant surprises.

Cheers
    Peter R

Default Re: Libre Office painfully slow to load

Now here's a hint. Just logged out of KDE and logged back in with Xfce. LibreOffice opens like lightning. I like the KDE interface, but Xfce is a close second and it's experiences like this that might tip me over the edge. My other big beef with OpenSuse 12 is that when I switched from 11.2 (where I liked Gnome), suddenly when I double-click an app like Firefox the mini-icon just bounces for ages before anything happens, which never happened with 11.2. I've got used to that, but the latest delays with LibreOffice on KDE are several orders of magnitude worse.

Cheers
    Peter R

Space Colony Lagrange Point 22° à, 77° Ƅ, 56° ɤ, 99° ɜ

Do you see any errors when you launch libreoffice from terminal/konsole ?
    GNOME Version 3.20.2
    openSUSE Leap 42.3 64-bit

www.vazhavandan.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by vazhavandan View Post
    Do you see any errors when you launch libreoffice from terminal/konsole ?
    Ok, been trying a few things, with mixed results.

Logged back in to KDE and ran libreoffice from command line. It started immediately.
    Then tried GUI again and it worked perfectly, opened files without delay, etc. Similar when I closed app and double-clicked an office document to open it again.
    Then exited and opened a few times and eventually found that when I opened from the Office icon on the desktop, the startup window that asks you whether you want to create a text doc or a spreadsheet etc opened fast, but when I clicked to create a document type, it hung, all mouse input seized up and eventually I got a message box saying that libreoffice was not responding and gave me the option to terminate the application, which was named as libreoffice-startcenter. This doesn't seem to happen if I go to the menu entries for the individual programs, writer calc, etc - they open directly to a blank document without going through the startcenter. It also doesn't happen immediately after boot, because the first few times I tried opening I used the desktop icon without problems.
    Tried this a few more times, sometimes the startcenter would open a new document very, very slowly, with disrupted mouse input while waiting, other times it would give me the terminate box.
    The command line gave no error messages. Command libreoffice opens the startcenter without delay. The command line cursor just blinks on a new line without offering a fresh prompt. If I then choose a document type from the startcenter, this continues. Only when the application is shut down do I get another prompt. I suspect this behaviour is normal when you open a GUI app from the CL, but I don't do that often.
    In short, it seems to be the startcenter that's the problem, and the problem doesn't always appear immediately. On Xfce, I don't seem to have a startcenter icon, just menu entries taking me directly to the individual programs, so it probably doesn't arise there.

Cheers
    peter r

PS Getting a bit late here (Australia), so may not respond to future messages till tomorrow.

On Sun, 05 May 2013 09:46:01 GMT
    indor <indor@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

> Is anyone else having this problem?

I haven't noticed LO being any slower to load but the bouncing cursor
    hangs around for a long while after LO has opened.

Could try installing the LO version from
    http://www.libreoffice.org/download instead of openSUSE's to see
    whether that is also slow?

--
    Graham P Davis, Bracknell, Berks.
    openSUSE 12.3 (64-bit); KDE 4.10.2; AMD Phenom II X2 550 Processor;
    Kernel: 3.9.0; Video: nVidia GeForce 210 (using nouveau driver);
    Sound: ATI SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA); Wireless: BCM4306

Space Colony Lagrange Point 22° à, 77° Ƅ, 56° ɤ, 99° ɜ

Quote Originally Posted by indor View Post
    The command line gave no error messages. Command libreoffice opens the startcenter without delay. The command line cursor just blinks on a new line without offering a fresh prompt. If I then choose a document type from the startcenter, this continues. Only when the application is shut down do I get another prompt. I suspect this behaviour is normal when you open a GUI app from the CL, but I don't do that often.
    Add an '&' when launching
    Code:
    $libreoffice &
    [1] 10665
    $
    Try upgrading to 4.x, 1 Click
    The problem may not be present.
    Search http://software.opensuse.org/package/libreoffice
    GNOME Version 3.20.2
    openSUSE Leap 42.3 64-bit

www.vazhavandan.blogspot.com

Try 'loffice' rather than 'libreoffice.'

Quote Originally Posted by john_hudson View Post
    Try 'loffice' rather than 'libreoffice.'
    Hi all

Thanks for various suggestions. I tried out the various command lines - they all worked - but didn't provide any better info. I also tried uninstalling and reinstalling LibreOffice from Yast, but got the same problems as before. I decided to try the latest LibreOffice rpm from the actual project site. It was LibreOffice 4.0.2, and it worked, no more hanging on load. By chance, I ran across a note in the readme-s that said that if you have trouble with LibreOffice loading slowly, it can be a problem with your graphics driver.

The look-and-feel of the generic Libreoffice is a bit clunky and not everything can be customised, but it does the job, which is the main thing.

Thanks again for your help.

Peter R

Update for LibreOffice Version 4.3.7.2 running on openSUSE 13.2:
    Given a machine with enough memory (8 GB) and enough CPU cores (AMD FX-4100 Quad-Core) the following resolves this issue:
    • Increase the memory used for graphic caching:

Options; LibreOffice; Memory:

1. Increase the amount of Graphics Cache to at least 128 MB [I'm currently using the maximum allowed: 256 MB]
    2. Increase the amount of memory per object to at least 16 MB [I'm currently using 32 MB]
    3. Possibly also increase the maximum number of OLE Objects allowed in cache [I'm currently using 50]

Please start a new thread. This one is about openSUSE 12.2 and the LibreOffice that came with it. We are now two years later.

This is CLOSED.
    Henk van Velden