Thread: PHP5 can't be installed

Default PHP5 can't be installed

Hello. I have a problem with installing PHP5 on a reasonably freash installation of Opensuse 12.3. So far all I have installed is Apache 2 (via Yast) and teamspeak by standard download from the teamspeak.com wbsite. I havent made any changes to repositories or anything like that at all, but when I try to install PHP5 via Yast, it says that PHP5 has an unresolvable dependency on smtp_daemon. Can anyone help me out? It's the x86_64 version I'm running.

Default Re: PHP5 can't be installed

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen_Philbin View Post
    Hello. I have a problem with installing PHP5 on a reasonably freash installation of Opensuse 12.3. So far all I have installed is Apache 2 (via Yast) and teamspeak by standard download from the teamspeak.com wbsite. I havent made any changes to repositories or anything like that at all, but when I try to install PHP5 via Yast, it says that PHP5 has an unresolvable dependency on smtp_daemon. Can anyone help me out? It's the x86_64 version I'm running.
    smtp_daemon is provided by the following packages: msmtp-mta, exim, sendmail and postfix. Install one of them, I would recommend postfix. But strange that YaST doesn't select one automatically...

Didn't you use YaST > Software > Software Management and then from the View button the Pattern view? And then scroll down to check LAMP server for installation?
    Henk van Velden

Well after searching for Postfix in Yast I've found why smtp_daemon wasn't selected automatically by Yast. Here's what Yast said when I selected Postfix for installation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yast
    patterns-openSUSE-minimal_base-conflicts-12.3-7.10.1.x86_64 conflicts with smtp_daemon provided by postfix-2.9.6-1.2.1.x86_64
    It ssems very strange that a pattern that I assume is installed on every x86_64 machine would conflict with what must be a very commonly installed package. Anyone got any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen_Philbin View Post
    Well after searching for Postfix in Yast I've found why smtp_daemon wasn't selected automatically by Yast. Here's what Yast said when I selected Postfix for installation.

It ssems very strange that a pattern that I assume is installed on every x86_64 machine would conflict with what must be a very commonly installed package. Anyone got any suggestions?
    Well, the minimal_base pattern is there to have a system where only a minimal set of packages is installed.
    It conflicts with many things to keep the system to a minimum and not let yast pull in additional packages.
    It is not installed on every system by default, only if you select "minimal installation" or similar in the installer, I think.
    If you want to install additional packages that pattern is superfluous and should be removed.

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    Didn't you use YaST > Software > Software Management and then from the View button the Pattern view? And then scroll down to check LAMP server for installation?
    Nope. There's a Web development pattern which doesn't select PHP5 (or much of anything else) when I select it, but there's option for a LAMP pattern that I saw. It must exclude PHP5 because of the conflict I posted about above.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Well, the minimal_base pattern is there to have a system where only a minimal set of packages is installed.
    It conflicts with many things to keep the system to a minimum and not let yast pull in additional packages.
    It is not installed on every system by default, only if you select "minimal installation" or similar in the installer, I think.
    If you want to install additional packages that pattern is superfluous and should be removed.

Oh right! I thought it was just a subset of a larger group. So if I tell yast to uninstall that pattern it'll replace it with an equivalent without lots of inbuilt conflicts? I'll give it a try.

Yeah it worked. Sorry for the stupid questions. I couldn't see that "conflicts" was part of the patterns' name.