Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Multiple DE's

Default Re: Multiple DE's

Quote Originally Posted by finders View Post
    Thanks, I've come to similar conclusion, but I thought there may be some other way.
    If I remove plasma from KDE session, there is blackbox, but no panel and no widgets.

There probably is a way to add a mouse action to choose standard or custom menu, something like a plugin.
    Or even desktop layout, to display another DE from within plasma (something like Folder View)

Unfortunately, I've no experience with such plugins, it's just an idea.
    I don't know how that blackbox menu looks like, but you can change the right-click action in plasma:
    Right-Click on the desktop (or click on the cashew in the upper-right corner) and select "Settings for Standard Desktop". Under "Mouse Actions" you can configure each mouse button. If you remove the action for pressing the right mouse button by clicking on the red '-' sign, maybe blackbox will work? (can't try here, as I don't have that installed...)
    If you just want to have a list of all applications on right-click, you can set that right-click action to "KMenu"...

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    I don't know how that blackbox menu looks like, but you can change the right-click action in plasma:
    It's a simple menu, basic plaintext configuration, looks like openbox or xfce menu.

Right-Click on the desktop (or click on the cashew in the upper-right corner) and select "Settings for Standard Desktop". Under "Mouse Actions" you can configure each mouse button. If you remove the action for pressing the right mouse button by clicking on the red '-' sign, maybe blackbox will work? (can't try here, as I don't have that installed...)
    If you just want to have a list of all applications on right-click, you can set that right-click action to "KMenu"...
    This doesn't help unfortunately. While razor has the option to replace window manager with something else, it doesn't work with plasma.
    I mean, you can replace the window manager, but you can't have the panel or the widgets.
    Output in KDE :
    Code:
    blackbox: another window manager is already running on display ':0'
    blackbox: no managable screens found, exiting...
    Box menu will not show unless plasma-desktop is killed and window manager replaced.
    Removing the mouse action does nothing if plasma is running, it simply ignores the mouse click.
    Having a plasmoid that allows the box to run on top of plasma desktop would be great, I'm just not qualified to build something like that.

It's a simple menu, basic plaintext configuration, looks like openbox or xfce menu.

This doesn't help unfortunately. While razor has the option to replace window manager with something else, it doesn't work with plasma.
    I mean, you can replace the window manager, but you can't have the panel or the widgets.
    Output in KDE :
    Code:
    blackbox: another window manager is already running on display ':0'
    blackbox: no managable screens found, exiting...
    Box menu will not show unless plasma-desktop is killed and window manager replaced.
    Removing the mouse action does nothing if plasma is running, it simply ignores the mouse click.
    I had hoped that plasma hands the right-click through to the WM then.
    But apparently that's not possible.

Well, black-box is some kind of application menu as it seems. So you could try to set plasma's right-click action to "K-Menu", which would give you KDE's application menu. Not exactly the same, but maybe you'd like it better than the standard context menu...

Oh and btw. plasma is not the window manager, kwin is. Plasma just manages the desktop, panel and widgets.

Well, black-box is some kind of application menu as it seems.
    No. blackbox is a window manager, just like openbox and xfwm.
    Oh and btw. plasma is not the window manager, kwin is. Plasma just manages the desktop, panel and widgets.
    I never said plasma is a window manager, I said that blackbox will work only if the WM is replaced and plasma killed, check above.
    If I just replace kwin with blackbox, menu will not show on top of plasma. However, in razorQT I can just turn off razor desktop and the box works:

I think I'm just going to stick with that, it's a lot faster than KDE session anyway.

No. blackbox is a window manager, just like openbox and xfwm.
    Yes, I know. But we were talking about the blackbox menu from the beginning. That's what this discussion is about, isn't it? I just forgot to add the "menu" in that sentence, it was a typo...

I never said plasma is a window manager,
    I never said you did. But you seemed to confuse the two, sorry if I misunderstood. I just wanted to clear that up.

I said that blackbox will work only if the WM is replaced and plasma killed, check above.
    And I said this doesn't seem to be possible as plasma doesn't route through the mouseclick to the windowmanager. I had hoped it would, when I suggested to remove the rightclick action.
    And since plasma manages the desktop, panel and plasmoids, you can't have them without plasma running, obviously.

And I said this doesn't seem to be possible as plasma doesn't route through the mouseclick to the windowmanager.
    Well IMO it should, but it's not up to me to question the developer decision.

And since plasma manages the desktop, panel and plasmoids, you can't have them without plasma running, obviously.
    That's regression, because kde3 panel works just fine without a kde3 desktop.

Well IMO it should, but it's not up to me to question the developer decision.

That's regression, because kde3 panel works just fine without a kde3 desktop.
    Well, report it at http://bugs.kde.org/ ...

But what is possible, is to run plasma applets in a window. Since all the elements of the panel also are just plasmoids (the panel is just a container), you can use them without plasma-desktop running.

You can run a plasmoid in a window by calling e.g.
    Code:
    plasma-windowed folderview

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234