Thread: Apple Wireless Keyboard

Default Apple Wireless Keyboard

I'm trying to get an Apple wireless keyboard working with bluedevil-1.3 on OpenSuse 12.3. Though there are many "how to pair your apple wireless keyboard with Linux" posts around, many of them are very old and none of them have been that helpful.

I have paired both devices in OSX, but when rebooting to OpenSuse Bluedevil sees the Apple wireless trackpad, and it is working, however I can not get the keyboard to work.

Attempting to add the keyboard in Bluedevil results in a knotify message "Keyboard is requesting access to this computer", which I select "Trust" to. It then shows up in the list of devices. However, clicking on the bluetooth monitor task bar icon, under "Known Devices" it shows "No supported services found", and there is no input from the keyboard.

hcitool con will show both devices, and I've tried to pair it and specify a pin with
    Code:
    suse:~ # simple-agent hci0 7C:D1:C3:xx:yy:zz
    RequestPinCode (/org/bluez/732/hci0/dev_7C_D1_C3_xx_yy_zz)
    Enter PIN Code: FourRandomDigits
    Creating device failed: org.bluez.Error.AuthenticationFailed: Authentication Failed
    I've also created the following (though I'm not sure such is even needed)
    Code:
    suse:~ # cat /etc/bluetooth/hcid.conf
    device 7C:D1:C3:xx:yy:zz {
        name "Apple Wireless Keyboard";
        auth enable;
        encrypt enable;
    }

lsusb shows:
    Code:
    Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0a5c:4500 Broadcom Corp. BCM2046B1 USB 2.0 Hub (part of BCM2046 Bluetooth)
    Bus 001 Device 005: ID 05ac:024c Apple, Inc. 
    Bus 001 Device 008: ID 05ac:821f Apple, Inc. Built-in Bluetooth 2.0+EDR HCI
    If anyone has suggestions I would much appreciate it.

Cheers,
    LewsTherin

Space Colony Lagrange Point 22° à, 77° Ƅ, 56° ɤ, 99° ɜ

Default Re: Apple Wireless Keyboard

I guess you already tried this
    bluez pairing with Apple wireless keyboard
    and this guy got it working on GNOME and i think you are using KDE
    https://forums.opensuse.org/english/...rd-silver.html
    GNOME Version 3.20.2
    openSUSE Leap 42.3 64-bit

www.vazhavandan.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by vazhavandan View Post
    I guess you already tried this
    bluez pairing with Apple wireless keyboard
    and this guy got it working on GNOME and i think you are using KDE
    https://forums.opensuse.org/english/...rd-silver.html
    Yep, first link referenced is included in the steps I posted above. In the second post the pairing worked for that user out of the box. My issue appears different.

It sees the keyboard, but bludevil monitor says "No supported services found" and there is no input from the keyboard.

LewsTherin

This post helped resolve this issue for me:

Setup Apple Wireless Keyboard via Bluetooth on Fedora 17 - VirtuallyHyper

They keys points are that most of the posts you see are for bluez3. For bluez4 the process is simple, but different. I was close, but had inverted the steps when using simple-agent to do the pairing. From the link above:

[elatov@klaptop ~]$ sudo ./simple-agent.py hci0 B8:F6:B1:02:1C:32
    RequestPinCode (/org/bluez/589/hci0/dev_B8_F6_B1_02_1C_32)
    Enter PIN Code: 1234
    Release
    New device (/org/bluez/589/hci0/dev_B8_F6_B1_02_1C_32)

When the “Enter PIN Code” shows up, use your regular keyboard to enter a new pin. Then click enter, after that you will just see a blank line, then use your bluetooth keyboard to enter the same PIN and then hit enter. If it works successfully you should see the “Release” message.

For the trackpad I simply use 0000 for the ping when prompted by the bluez-wizard GUI.

Both keyboard and magic tracpad are working now.

As an aside, the 3.9.0 kernel appears to have resolved the high cpu usage with Thunderbolt, and I'm able to use the Apple 27" thunderbolt display now. Networking via thunderbolt is working fine, have not tested the speakers or webcam yet.

Cheer,
    LewsTherinnnn

Space Colony Lagrange Point 22° à, 77° Ƅ, 56° ɤ, 99° ɜ

Quote Originally Posted by LewsTherinTelemon View Post
    This post helped resolve this issue for me:

Setup Apple Wireless Keyboard via Bluetooth on Fedora 17 - VirtuallyHyper

They keys points are that most of the posts you see are for bluez3. For bluez4 the process is simple, but different. I was close, but had inverted the steps when using simple-agent to do the pairing. From the link above:

For the trackpad I simply use 0000 for the ping when prompted by the bluez-wizard GUI.

Both keyboard and magic tracpad are working now.

As an aside, the 3.9.0 kernel appears to have resolved the high cpu usage with Thunderbolt, and I'm able to use the Apple 27" thunderbolt display now. Networking via thunderbolt is working fine, have not tested the speakers or webcam yet.

Cheer,
    LewsTherinnnn
    Why don't you create a FAQ so that *community* might be benefited https://forums.opensuse.org/english/...iewed-how-faq/
    GNOME Version 3.20.2
    openSUSE Leap 42.3 64-bit

www.vazhavandan.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by vazhavandan View Post
    Why don't you create a FAQ so that *community* might be benefited https://forums.opensuse.org/english/...iewed-how-faq/
    I thought that's what I was doing by contributing to the Suse forums and sharing the solution I found :}