Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: why plasma crashes so very often??

Default why plasma crashes so very often??

on my opensuse 12.3 clean install taking /home.
    with KDE4.10.2 installed from KDE410 opensuse repositories and switched packages to that repo (no other kde repos).
    it hcrashed some weeks ago, as I had some doubts having taken /home partition I deleted /home/user/.kde4 folder and started from zero.
    but it lasts one week, first week all ok, after one week plasma started to crash first a couple of times a day then every half hour, it seems expecially when I open and use firefox (I have 6 windows with 10 tabs each window).
    why this degrade?? have you a similar behaviour?? is there a solution??

thnx, ciao, pier

Blog Entries

Default Re: why plasma crashes so very often??

Not getting this.
    Had an odd crash when clicking to eject a USB flash drive.
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

It doesn't crash here at all.
    Do you have any additional plasmoids added to the desktop or panel? Maybe one of them causes this...

Or maybe it's related to your gfx driver.
    What graphics card do you have? What driver are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    It doesn't crash here at all.
    Do you have any additional plasmoids added to the desktop or panel? Maybe one of them causes this...
    ..of course I have plasmoids otherwise why to choose kde???
    I have four desktops, three panels, and on dektop1 I have 3 folder view, one browser, 1 fastswitch user, 1notes, in other desktops CPU, network monitor, memory, disk space, and a weather that doesn't works, let's start to get rid of weather...
    Or maybe it's related to your gfx driver.
    What graphics card do you have? What driver are you using?
    graphics card = NVIDIA Quadro NVS 3100M and I'm using proprietary 304.88 nvidia drivers from the opensuse nvidia repo.

Quote Originally Posted by pier_andreit View Post
    ..of course I have plasmoids otherwise why to choose kde???
    I have four desktops, three panels, and on dektop1 I have 3 folder view, one browser, 1 fastswitch user, 1notes, in other desktops CPU, network monitor, memory, disk space, and a weather that doesn't works, let's start to get rid of weather...
    When one of those plasmoids crashes, the whole plasma crashes as well. I don't know if this is your problem, but it is a possibility.
    You could try to disable them one by one and see if the crashes disappear.
    Or (I think that would be the better way) create a new user. See if the crashes are still there (then it would be another problem of course). Then add the plasmoids one by one.
    You could find out which one is causing your crashes that way...

Btw. the weather applet works fine here. Which weather provider are you using? You could try another one.

graphics card = NVIDIA Quadro NVS 3100M and I'm using proprietary 304.88 nvidia drivers from the opensuse nvidia repo.
    Ah yes, I remember! (https://forums.opensuse.org/english/...er-update.html)
    So I guess your driver setup is ok now...

Do you get a KDE crash dialog? If yes, you could maybe post the backtrace... (click on the "Developers information" tab to get that)

When one of those plasmoids crashes, the whole plasma crashes as well. I don't know if this is your problem, but it is a possibility.
    You could try to disable them one by one and see if the crashes disappear.
    bad, very bad that plasma stability depends on plasmoids...., I have two 12.3 installation on the same laptop, one with nvidia driver and the other with nouveau, I started removing from the nouveau 12.3 the three ~/.kde4/share/config/plasma* files, standard KDE, no plasmoids, the only change is in wallpapers and pager with different widgets for each desktop; for today only one crash...., let's hope in the new KDE4.10.3 soon on the way ...
    Or (I think that would be the better way) create a new user. See if the crashes are still there (then it would be another problem of course). Then add the plasmoids one by one.
    You could find out which one is causing your crashes that way...
    yes, this should be the last try, I have a lot of settings in my /home/user and I don't remember how to reproduce.....,

Btw. the weather applet works fine here. Which weather provider are you using? You could try another one.
    I tried two, one cause definitely crashes, the other, the LCD weather plasmoid, doesn't shows anything but, perhaps, doesn't crashes, I ranted about this in this thread ...
    https://forums.opensuse.org/english/...ml#post2551646

Ah yes, I remember! (https://forums.opensuse.org/english/...er-update.html)
    So I guess your driver setup is ok now...
    tes, thanx again, it is ok now...

Do you get a KDE crash dialog? If yes, you could maybe post the backtrace... (click on the "Developers information" tab to get that)
    I tried but it doesn't works, KDE crash dialog appear, I click on developer informations, it says me that I have to install something to have proper informations to send, I click to install this packages but nothing happens, no other dialog, no start of yast so I cannot send nothing...

thanx, ciao, Pier :-)

bad, very bad that plasma stability depends on plasmoids....,
    Yeah, this is because all plasmoids are running in the same process (plasma-desktop). I read somewhere that it wasn't possible to implement this differently, but don't remember the details now. (maybe some limitation in libqt4?)

I have two 12.3 installation on the same laptop, one with nvidia driver and the other with nouveau, I started removing from the nouveau 12.3 the three ~/.kde4/share/config/plasma* files, standard KDE, no plasmoids, the only change is in wallpapers and pager with different widgets for each desktop; for today only one crash...., let's hope in the new KDE4.10.3 soon on the way ...
    Hm. It shouldn't crash at all with the defaults. It doesn't do that here, and I additionally have 3 weather plasmoids, now playing, and comics plasmoids. But maybe in this case it's a bug in nouveau?

yes, this should be the last try, I have a lot of settings in my /home/user and I don't remember how to reproduce.....,
    Well, you could move away just ~/.kde4/share/config/plasma-desktop-appletsrc and see if it still crashes.
    If it does, the problem must lie somewhere else...

I tried two, one cause definitely crashes, the other, the LCD weather plasmoid, doesn't shows anything but, perhaps, doesn't crashes, I ranted about this in this thread ...
    https://forums.opensuse.org/english/...ml#post2551646
    AFAIK both use the same dataengine, so it shouldn't matter which one you use.
    I have no problem with the normal weather plasmoid here (using wetter.com and bbcukmet providers).
    But I've heard of issues with NOAA...

I tried but it doesn't works, KDE crash dialog appear, I click on developer informations, it says me that I have to install something to have proper informations to send, I click to install this packages but nothing happens, no other dialog, no start of yast so I cannot send nothing...
    Well, there should be some text in the KDE crash dialog. Just copy and paste this.
    Maybe it gives a clue even without installing debuginfo packages...

You might experiencing the mysterious kde#311871
    Unfortunately, there's no way to clearly reproduce the crash. I myself had periods where the crash would happen several times per day, then no crash for month(s)
    Since it is actually Qt bug, chances are not very good we'll see it resolved soon (IMHO)

Quote Originally Posted by sumski View Post
    You might experiencing the mysterious kde#311871
    Unfortunately, there's no way to clearly reproduce the crash. I myself had periods where the crash would happen several times per day, then no crash for month(s)
    Since it is actually Qt bug, chances are not very good we'll see it resolved soon (IMHO)
    maybe, also me think that the crash is related to firefox, only becouse when I'm using only chrome it didn't happen and when I launched both chrome and firefox it happened a lot, I didn't noticed nothing about notification, I will try disabling them...
    thnx, ciao, pier :-)

maybe, also me think that the crash is related to firefox, only becouse when I'm using only chrome it didn't happen and when I launched both chrome and firefox it happened a lot, I didn't noticed nothing about notification, I will try disabling them...
    thnx, ciao, pier :-)
    The crashes definetly do not depends on firefox, now they happen even just logged, or running luckybackup, and with notification disabled, and also with kde4.10.3...
    thnx, ciao, pier :-) :-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast