Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cannot open any new processes after some uptime

Default Cannot open any new processes after some uptime

As of today, I'm suddenly experiencing a major and very weird issue in my openSUSE 12.3 system. After a certain amount of uptime, I am unable to open any new applications on my machine. The only way to open new programs is to close existing ones, like there's some sort of process limit. Each process I try to start lasts for less than a second then dies. The error I'm given in the console when this happens is:

Code:
    Maximum number of clients reached : cannot connect to X server
    I searched about this issue, and from what I understand it happens when too many processes are started and a certain limit is reached. However, I compared the list of processes when the issue was taking place and after I restarted (not happening), and I have the same amount of processes open. This is confirmed both by the xlsclients command as well as the processes I see in KSysGuard.

xlsclients output with issue

xlsclients output without issue

What can be causing such major breakage after a few hours of uptime? I've never had something like this happening until today. Only system updates applied during the last hours were for the X server and fglrx driver, but I'd be surprised if something like that could cause this. Please don't ask me to change the driver or downgrade packages (I no longer have the old ones), I prefer to avoid anything risky. If there's any safe way to further debug it otherwise however, I will.
    openSUSE Tumbleweed x64, KDE Framework 5

Space Colony Lagrange Point 22° à, 77° Ƅ, 56° ɤ, 99° ɜ

Default Re: Cannot open any new processes after some uptime

Check whether your issue is related to this https://forums.opensuse.org/english/...ml#post2532796
    GNOME Version 3.20.2
    openSUSE Leap 42.3 64-bit

www.vazhavandan.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by vazhavandan View Post
    Check whether your issue is related to this https://forums.opensuse.org/english/...ml#post2532796
    Already checked. It's unrelated to Akonadi, which I tried restarting / shutting down and it didn't free the taken process slots.

Also, I just woke up, and as always I left my system running throughout the night. The problem doesn't seem to be happening now. So it might be an application I open that spawns multiple hidden processes in some way. I wonder if there's a way to track which could be causing it.

On 04/30/2013 10:26 AM, MirceaKitsune wrote:
    > So it might be
    > an application I open that spawns multiple hidden processes in some way.
    > I wonder if there's a way to track which could be causing it.

two or three times in the last several months i have 'caught' Chrome
    with many many open processes....like maybe 50+...while only two or
    three tabs are open...

if you use Chrome, next time you see this problem, check for one or
    more zombies and try this at a user terminal--maybe you catch the same:
    Code:
    ps -ef | grep chrom[e]
    and, if you close/kill all chrome processes the zombie(s) die too...

i don't understand it, so i won't bugzilla it.

--
    dd
    openSUSE®, the "German Engineered Automobile" of operating systems!

I use Firefox not Chrome. I tried shutting FF down, but that didn't fix the problem (apart from freeing one process slot so I could open one other program instead of FF).

Ok, it appears I found out where the issue is coming from. For a completely unknown reason, my Firefox configuration broke. Luckily I had a backup of my settings so I restored that and only kept what's new.

It's pretty strange this caused it (if this was it indeed), since even after shutting down Firefox the problem would persist and I'd still have to restart. Will see how it goes and if the old configuration solved it.

Got even further in finding out what this most likely is. An addon update in Firefox is causing the problem to take place. Several addons are updated so I can't tell which, but for the time being I reverted them to old versions and disabled automatic updates.

I assume it would be off-topic to post a list of my addons and ask Firefox users here which could be it. I can however mention that the 3 addons I suspect are FireBug, DownloadHelper and Save Images. Best solution might be to update them all manually until I find out which one is it, unless someone here might have an idea.

Ok... it appears this isn't caused by the Firefox addons either. After a fresh relog, it does it with the old addon versions too. I don't understand what's happening any more... this is the craziest thing I've ever seen on a Linux system. Please let me know if you have more advice.

Only other things I did yesterday (when the issue started happening) was installing the official updates for X, fglrx, and apparently something with timezones. I doubt it could be related but just in case it might be relevant.

On 2013-04-30 15:46, MirceaKitsune wrote:
    >
    > Ok... it appears this isn't caused by the Firefox addons either. After a
    > fresh relog, it does it with the old addon versions too. I don't
    > understand what's happening any more... this is the craziest thing I've
    > ever seen on a Linux system. Please let me know if you have more advice.

I think you should start with:

Code:
    ps afxu | less -S
    I'm not sure if threads are included or not.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.1 x86_64 "Asparagus" at Telcontar)

What does "ps afxu | less -S" show exactly? Can't understand the output fully. Will compare what it says before and after the problem... currently I'm making a list of comparison outputs which I'll put here when ready.

For now I'm trying the "xrestop" command which might be very helpful for this. I'm waiting for the issue to happen again and hopefully it will indicate the bad processes. Currently it's monitoring about 54 clients which sounds like the normal amount.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast