Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12.3 Graphics Malfunction

Question 12.3 Graphics Malfunction

With the 12.3 network installation disc and after upgrading from 12.2 to 12.3, my screen loses some of its colors until it is mostly green and red without enough contrast to understand what I am seeing unless I know what is there. I also had this problem with a recent live CD from another distribution, so I think it is something like the a Linux kernel greater than 3.4 combined with my old hardware, e.g., nVidia GeForce FX 5200. Is there a way that I can work through this and solve this problem? There is no rush since I can still use 12.2. I prefer to use Nouveau. Thanks

Blog Entries

Default Re: 12.3 Graphics Malfunction

For sure, nouveau has changed between 12.2 and 12.3. On my nvidia system, it is working a lot better. Where I had badly broken graphics with 12.2, I get pretty good graphics with 12.3 (using Gnome 3, for example). That's with a GeForce 6150 LE. However, I have also heard reports where nouveau is worse than before. That seems to be your case.

A couple of days ago, I decided to give the nvidia driver a trial. It actually worked pretty well. I installed it the "hard" way, since I am using Tumbleweed on that box. It wasn't very hard, once I got past the initial inertia at trying something new. You might want to give it a try. I'd suggest the easy way, so that you can just as easily uninstall with Yast.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Thanks, in that case, I might need to work with Nouveau, perhaps filing a bug, but I do not wish to install an nVidia driver at this time.

Blog Entries

There is a bug in the nouveau driver impacting FX5200 graphic hardware commencing with the 3.7.x kernel impacting all GNU/Linux distributions.

There is a thread about this problem (started by me) in this thread:
    https://forums.opensuse.org/english/...ed-kernel.html

Note an openSUSE kernel developer/packager has debugged the problem, and an openSUSE-12.3 kernel update (when it comes) should have the fix. In addition if one sticks with the stock kernel, there is a kernel update in the bug report that one can use. Its all noted in the thread I referenced.

See posts #45 (for link to kernel where FX5200 works) and post#48 and note bug report: https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=800686 where the problem is noted as resolved and the fix will appear soon.

Note both the 'nv' and 'vesa' graphic drivers still work with the FX5200 (albeit performance/resolution not so good) even with this bug.

Thumbs up Re: 12.3 Graphics Malfunction

Thanks, I did not find that in my search, but it was difficult for me to put the problem in words. Looks like plenty for me to try when I have time, and it sounds like I will be able to move forward eventually.

Question Re: 12.3 Graphics Malfunction

Is there a way to tell when it is safe to upgrade to 12.3?

On 04/30/2013 08:26 PM, chickenfeet pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
    > Is there a way to tell when it is safe to upgrade to 12.3?
    >
    >

Never? I would wait till 13.1 comes out as there are still too many
    problems with 12.3 that won't be fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by kensch View Post
    On 04/30/2013 08:26 PM, chickenfeet pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
    > Is there a way to tell when it is safe to upgrade to 12.3?
    >
    >

Never? I would wait till 13.1 comes out as there are still too many
    problems with 12.3 that won't be fixed.
    Such as? Is there a source link?

On 04/30/2013 10:56 PM, amarildojr pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
    > kensch;2552686 Wrote:
    >> On 04/30/2013 08:26 PM, chickenfeet pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
    >>> Is there a way to tell when it is safe to upgrade to 12.3?
    >>>
    >>>

>> Never? I would wait till 13.1 comes out as there are still too many
    >> problems with 12.3 that won't be fixed.

> Such as? Is there a source link?
    >
    >

You obviously don't follow this forum. :-)

In fact I don't. You do and I'm asking for the things that aren't going to be fixed on 12.3. I have an emotional bond with openSUSE but unfortunately Ubuntu is doing better with Steam. I use Linux for image editing and 3D modeling and if I use the latest Ubuntu I'll have to upgrade every 9 months. So I decided to come back and see how things are going here =)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast