I'm trying to set up a database using mariadb on a newly installed openSUSE 12.3. The initialization script "mysql_install_db" seems to run correctly, but when I try to run "mysql_secure_installation" either as myself or using sudo, it fails with the message:

Code:
ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)
Trying to run mysqld_safe produces a similar set of messages:

Code:
130425 10:05:55 mysqld_safe Logging to '/var/log/mysql/mysqld.log'.
touch: cannot touch ‘/var/log/mysql/mysqld.log’: No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access ‘/var/log/mysql/mysqld.log’: No such file or directory
chown: cannot access ‘/var/log/mysql/mysqld.log’: No such file or directory
130425 10:05:55 mysqld_safe Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /var/lib/mysql
/usr/bin/mysqld_safe: line 132: /var/log/mysql/mysqld.log: No such file or directory
/usr/bin/mysqld_safe: line 176: /var/log/mysql/mysqld.log: No such file or directory
chown: cannot access ‘/var/log/mysql/mysqld.log’: No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access ‘/var/log/mysql/mysqld.log’: No such file or directory
130425 10:05:55 mysqld_safe mysqld from pid file /var/lib/mysql/h210087.nist.gov.pid ended
/usr/bin/mysqld_safe: line 132: /var/log/mysql/mysqld.log: No such file or directory
Does anyone recognize what's going on here? It looks a bit like a permissions error, but as I say, this is a brand new install of 12.3, and I seem to vaguely recall that akonadi uses mysql/mariadb so on the whole I'd have expected it to be set up correctly by the install process?

Thanks,
maab