Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 37 of 37

Thread: Wine a virus

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Somewhere in Fictionland
    Posts
    1,479

    Default Re: Wine a virus

    Quote Originally Posted by amarildojr View Post
    I own a original copy of Windows 7 Ultimate, but I didn't buy it. Microsoft doesn't care for medias or official download links, they care for activation. So, I downloaded it from digitalriver and I do the following steps:

    Install, updates and bla bla bla.
    When the 29th day comes up I rearm the bomb, and I do it 3 times more, whenever the 29th day comes up again. After that I reinstall the system. This way I use original Windows "for free" =)

    Search "Dell Official Windows 7 ISO", the official links are there.

    answers.microsoft on "is digitalrivercontent.net windows iso legit to download?" Is digitalrivercontent.net windows iso legit to download? Or is - Microsoft Community
    Well, we were talking here probably form a standpoint of an US user. It is clear that the US legislation of copyright in general and software in specific is completely out of control (see the recent statement of Barnes & Nobles, so not really suspect of being "socialists" LOL). So, sure, in a lot of countries the procedure to circumvent the MS block of legitimate users is legal. But not in all. This is by the way the real reason of putting Windows 8 and UEFI on the market: you are able to bound (dongle) the licence to a physical machine. And hurray, some millions of dollars more with undue restrictions even in countries that would not allow it. Uefi & security? Muhaaaaaahhhahaha.
    Just "clicking away" security warnings about a change in repo signature ? Not able to control?
    Then please vote for
    https://features.opensuse.org/312047
    openSUSE should have an efficient web of trust.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    327

    Default Re: Wine a virus

    Quote Originally Posted by stakanov View Post
    Well, we were talking here probably form a standpoint of an US user. It is clear that the US legislation of copyright in general and software in specific is completely out of control (see the recent statement of Barnes & Nobles, so not really suspect of being "socialists" LOL). So, sure, in a lot of countries the procedure to circumvent the MS block of legitimate users is legal. But not in all. This is by the way the real reason of putting Windows 8 and UEFI on the market: you are able to bound (dongle) the licence to a physical machine. And hurray, some millions of dollars more with undue restrictions even in countries that would not allow it. Uefi & security? Muhaaaaaahhhahaha.
    It's not illegal not even in US, that's a Windows feature that allows you to evaluate Windows for more than the default 30-day period, extending the 30-day to 3 more 30-day periods. I called the US Microsoft and asked for that, the "person on the other line" (here it's called other thing =P) told me it is legal.

    More: Windows Rearm

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Somewhere in Fictionland
    Posts
    1,479

    Default Re: Wine a virus

    Quote Originally Posted by amarildojr View Post
    It's not illegal not even in US, that's a Windows feature that allows you to evaluate Windows for more than the default 30-day period, extending the 30-day to 3 more 30-day periods. I called the US Microsoft and asked for that, the "person on the other line" (here it's called other thing =P) told me it is legal.

    More: Windows Rearm
    But then, why in all world a person with a ***VALID*** and ***PAID*** license has to be treated like a "burglar" and use subterfuges to achieve normal buisiness. When it comes to that point: better simply not use such a program. That does for sure not require "29 day periods" and questions about what you have paid for is yours or not. Besides, XP still does a better job virtualized than all later versions of Win. I had Vista coming with my former laptop. In theory I still have the licence. I never used it after the first day of trial and the next laptop (given THAT experience, a total blue screen orgy) I did buy without OS. So I am free to buy what I want. And guess what I am running on that machine?
    BTW: only written statements of persons having the qualification to emit such a statement have value. In front of a judge, if Mr Whoyousaidwasit said it was legal, this does not mean that anybody cares. So if you do use it on a professional basis: do not count on it.
    Just "clicking away" security warnings about a change in repo signature ? Not able to control?
    Then please vote for
    https://features.opensuse.org/312047
    openSUSE should have an efficient web of trust.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    327

    Default Re: Wine a virus

    Quote Originally Posted by stakanov View Post
    But then, why in all world a person with a ***VALID*** and ***PAID*** license has to be treated like a "burglar" and use subterfuges to achieve normal buisiness. When it comes to that point: better simply not use such a program. That does for sure not require "29 day periods" and questions about what you have paid for is yours or not. Besides, XP still does a better job virtualized than all later versions of Win. I had Vista coming with my former laptop. In theory I still have the licence. I never used it after the first day of trial and the next laptop (given THAT experience, a total blue screen orgy) I did buy without OS. So I am free to buy what I want. And guess what I am running on that machine?
    BTW: only written statements of persons having the qualification to emit such a statement have value. In front of a judge, if Mr Whoyousaidwasit said it was legal, this does not mean that anybody cares. So if you do use it on a professional basis: do not count on it.
    I just responded that because he said it is needed to own a copy of Windows and his better results were by paying MS. I just reported a legal alternative to people who don't want to pay hundreds of dollars for a system just to play some games or run 1 or 2 piece of software, MS products are mostly lame and expensive and there's nothing wrong on doing a rearm since it's a native Windows feature. I never treated him as a burglar and it's not subterfuges, it's a feature implemented my Microsoft to allow users to extend their evaluation period from 1 to 3 months, sorry if that offends you in some way, but there's nothing wrong on doing that.
    You ARE free to buy what you want and I never said the opposite, remember that it's a Windows native feature, the same would apply if I reinstalled windows every 30days because I want to use Antivirus X or Z, it's completely legal and I'm free to do that as well as you're free to buy the software if you you want (I bought Kaspersky for almost 3 years), you just have to put everything on balance to make sure it's best buying or using trial versions, WITHTOUT illegal practices.

    Besides, Official links and instructions to W7 download and install are on Dell's comunity website, leading to digitalriver. It's a legal download link and it's a legal feature to rearm the "bomb".

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    19,848
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default Re: Wine a virus

    First: are we still aware these are the openSUSE forums? .

    On the ongoing matters: in front of a judge (personal experience with a customer) what the "person on the other line" says has no value at all. And making a mistake like that can cost you your business. At least here. I'm sure this will all depend on the details of the acquired license(s), but the example is here where things worked out completely wrong for the persons that thought they could simply transfer Windows from deprecated machines to new, custom built ones.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

    ° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

    https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    327

    Default Re: Wine a virus

    Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    First: are we still aware these are the openSUSE forums? .

    On the ongoing matters: in front of a judge (personal experience with a customer) what the "person on the other line" says has no value at all. And making a mistake like that can cost you your business. At least here. I'm sure this will all depend on the details of the acquired license(s), but the example is here where things worked out completely wrong for the persons that thought they could simply transfer Windows from deprecated machines to new, custom built ones.
    Well, in a business case I believe that's true
    But what about in a home user?

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    25,149

    Default Re: Wine a virus

    Quote Originally Posted by amarildojr View Post
    But what about in a home user?
    The home user should either use Linux and stop discussing these things because they are of no interest at all, or he should use Windows and then go to some Windows place to discuss them.

    This is not even worth being in Chit-chat.
    Henk van Velden

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •