Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Google Chrome crashes about 85% of the time when do search in address bar!

Hybrid View

Default Google Chrome crashes about 85% of the time when do search in address bar!

I'm seeing an issue where if I do a search in google chrome in the address bar (i.e. type something with spaces in it like "chrome linux crash") then at least 85% of the time, Chrome will just quit. When I start it up again, the tabs are gone and there's something that says "Google Chrome didn't shut down correctly. To reopen the pages you had open, click Restore".

Does anyone know what might cause this and how to diagnose it?

Default Re: Google Chrome crashes about 85% of the time when do search inaddress bar!

On 04/23/2013 06:06 PM, 6tr6tr wrote:
    > how to diagnose it?

what version are you using....is there a more stable version
    available in the repo? have you tried a more stable version?

did you install it with YaST?

have you tried disabling all add-ons?

what operating system and version are you using?

have you tried chromium....does it do the same?

if you start it in a terminal, and leave that terminal open, does it
    throw error messages or comments, or what?

if you look in the logs do you find any info about what happened?

--
    dd

Default Re: Google Chrome crashes about 85% of the time when do search inaddress bar!

Quote Originally Posted by DenverD View Post
    > how to diagnose it?

Version 26.0.1410.43 but this has been happening for a while, even in past versions.

no. I downloaded it from Google.com, but it does do updates via zypper.

I don't have any addons other than Flash which I disabled. Are there addons built in?

openSUSE 12.1.

Where do i get chromium?

I'll try this.

Where are the logs for chrome?

Thanks!

Space Colony Lagrange Point 22° à, 77° Ƅ, 56° ɤ, 99° ɜ

Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    Where do i get chromium?
    Code:
    su -
     zypper in chromium
    GNOME Version 3.20.2
    openSUSE Leap 42.3 64-bit

www.vazhavandan.blogspot.com

> how to diagnose it?

--
    dd
    OK, I ran it from the command line and discovered it DOES seem to have to do with Flash. With Flash disabled, it kept running (with errors, but probably benign - see below). With Flash enabled, it crashed with the error:

Code:
    Floating point exception
    Benign errors that did not cause crash:
    Code:
    ERROR:object_proxy.cc(624)] Failed to get name owner. Got org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NameHasNoOwner: Could not get owner of name 'org.chromium.Mtpd': no such name
    ERROR:object_proxy.cc(624)] Failed to get name owner. Got org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NameHasNoOwner: Could not get owner of name 'org.chromium.Mtpd': no such name
    ERROR:object_proxy.cc(529)] Failed to call method: org.chromium.Mtpd.EnumerateStorages: object_path= /org/chromium/Mtpd: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.chromium.Mtpd was not provided by any .service files
    ERROR:object_proxy.cc(529)] Failed to call method: org.kde.KWallet.isEnabled: object_path= /modules/kwalletd: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.kde.kwalletd was not provided by any .service files
    ERROR:native_backend_kwallet_x.cc(227)] Error contacting kwalletd (isEnabled)
    ERROR:object_proxy.cc(529)] Failed to call method: org.kde.KWallet.isEnabled: object_path= /modules/kwalletd: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Message did not receive a reply (timeout by message bus)
    ERROR:native_backend_kwallet_x.cc(227)] Error contacting kwalletd (isEnabled)
    ERROR:omnibox_view_gtk.cc(431)] Not implemented reached in virtual void OmniboxViewGtk::ApplyCaretVisibility()
    ERROR:omnibox_view_gtk.cc(431)] Not implemented reached in virtual void OmniboxViewGtk::ApplyCaretVisibility()

Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    OK, I ran it from the command line and discovered it DOES seem to have to do with Flash. With Flash disabled, it kept running (with errors, but probably benign - see below). With Flash enabled, it crashed with the error:

Code:
    Floating point exception
    is there a way to fix this?

On 04/23/2013 07:36 PM, 6tr6tr wrote:
    > is there a way to fix this?

are you using the latest flash? if not, you should.

try:
    -go to any site with flash
    -right click in the spot where flash runs
    -select "Settings"
    -on the Display tab, make sure the "Enable Hardware Acceleration" is
    NOT checked
    -click "Close"

does that help?? if not try

--
    dd
    http://tinyurl.com/DD-Caveat

On 04/23/2013 07:36 PM, 6tr6tr wrote:
    > is there a way to fix this?

are you using the latest flash? if not, you should.

try:
    -go to any site with flash
    -right click in the spot where flash runs
    -select "Settings"
    -on the Display tab, make sure the "Enable Hardware Acceleration" is
    NOT checked
    -click "Close"

does that help?? if not try

--
    dd
    DD Caveat
    It was checked. I unchecked it and will see if that stops the crashes. Thanks!

Google Chrome comes with pepper flash built in.
    You could try disabling that and use the flash version from the non-oss repo.
    I don't recall how to do it but it should be pretty easy to find with google.

Alternatively, chromium is in the oss repo and does not use pepper flash - so you may have better luck with that.

I at one time used to use Google's Chrome, but I gave it up for the problems you're having now. So My recommendation
    1)remove the Google Chrome. after that
    2)click to view the hidden files in your /home look for & then trash a folder called ".pki"
    3)then look in your /home for a ".config" folder open it up then find & trash the chrome folder
    4) do as vanhazdan said in post 6
    5)then if you have the Packman repos enabled zypper in the chromium-pepper-flash it seems chromium works better with it from Packman
    Now in my experience there's no thing you can do in GC that you can't also do in chromium. Plus with chromium IIRC you're not being tracked like you'd be in GC.
    I'm just a curious cat
    My 64 bit: RADEON RX 570 |CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 1600
    MOTHERBOARD B450M D53H GGABYTE
    Opensuse Tumbleweed Plasma 5

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast