Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Apper Update Gone Wrong?

  1. #1

    Default Apper Update Gone Wrong?

    I have recently installed 12.3 32 bit with KDE desktop on my T42 laptop. All seemed well although I have had fairly regular notices that updates are available. These have been mainly gstreamer stuff as I recall and usually between 30 and 40 files. I have installed these without problem. Last night however the notice advised there were 1440 + files to be updated and included a reboot for one.

    Since this process had been no trouble before, I went ahead and allowed the update. Big mistake. All the files downloaded but none were installed. I had a warning I was running out of disk space, probably true, but then everything stalled. Tried to restart and now cannot log into desktop. I can log into recovery console line but nothing else. Enter password and I just get the login screen back.

    I should know this but how can I get my desktop back from the recovery console and is it credible that 1400+ files need updating or is this another apper error or have I been attacked by malware?

    Grateful for help please.
    Budgie2

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    19,868
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default Re: Apper Update Gone Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Budgie2 View Post
    I have recently installed 12.3 32 bit with KDE desktop on my T42 laptop. All seemed well although I have had fairly regular notices that updates are available. These have been mainly gstreamer stuff as I recall and usually between 30 and 40 files. I have installed these without problem. Last night however the notice advised there were 1440 + files to be updated and included a reboot for one.

    Since this process had been no trouble before, I went ahead and allowed the update. Big mistake. All the files downloaded but none were installed. I had a warning I was running out of disk space, probably true, but then everything stalled. Tried to restart and now cannot log into desktop. I can log into recovery console line but nothing else. Enter password and I just get the login screen back.

    I should know this but how can I get my desktop back from the recovery console and is it credible that 1400+ files need updating or is this another apper error or have I been attacked by malware?

    Grateful for help please.
    Budgie2
    To comfort you: nope, not an attack by malware.

    Nothing has been installed so far, since the "/" partition flooded before the system got to installing the packages.
    Boot the system, enter the root password when prompted for, and run
    Code:
    zypper clean -a && zypper ref
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

    ° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

    https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Space Colony Lagrange Point 22° à, 77° Ƅ, 56° ɤ, 99° ɜ
    Posts
    3,166

    Default Re: Apper Update Gone Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Budgie2 View Post
    I have recently installed 12.3 32 bit with KDE desktop on my T42 laptop. All seemed well although I have had fairly regular notices that updates are available. These have been mainly gstreamer stuff as I recall and usually between 30 and 40 files. I have installed these without problem. Last night however the notice advised there were 1440 + files to be updated and included a reboot for one.

    Since this process had been no trouble before, I went ahead and allowed the update. Big mistake. All the files downloaded but none were installed. I had a warning I was running out of disk space, probably true, but then everything stalled. Tried to restart and now cannot log into desktop. I can log into recovery console line but nothing else. Enter password and I just get the login screen back.

    I should know this but how can I get my desktop back from the recovery console and is it credible that 1400+ files need updating or is this another apper error or have I been attacked by malware?

    Grateful for help please.
    Budgie2
    1400+ is a ridiculous number of updates. On a standard installation there are only about 1500 or so packages.
    GNOME Version 3.20.2
    openSUSE Leap 42.3 64-bit

    www.vazhavandan.blogspot.com

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The English Lake District. UK - GMT/BST
    Posts
    36,733
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default Re: Apper Update Gone Wrong?

    Pretty sure you must know I recommend not using it.
    Yes, I know some think it's wonderful.

    But your comments make we wonder about your repos?
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

  5. #5

    Default Re: Apper Update Gone Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    To comfort you: nope, not an attack by malware.

    Nothing has been installed so far, since the "/" partition flooded before the system got to installing the packages.
    Boot the system, enter the root password when prompted for, and run
    Code:
    zypper clean -a && zypper ref
    Hi and thanks. That helped and now I have desktop back. Phew! I shall check hard drive capacity but 1440+ files would certainly have overfilled root directory.
    Thanks again,
    Budgie2

  6. #6

    Default Re: Apper Update Gone Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by vazhavandan View Post
    1400+ is a ridiculous number of updates. On a standard installation there are only about 1500 or so packages.
    My though precisely but it is a new release so...

  7. #7

    Default Re: Apper Update Gone Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by caf4926 View Post
    Pretty sure you must know I recommend not using it.
    Yes, I know some think it's wonderful.

    But your comments make we wonder about your repos?
    Hi,

    Yes, I took your advice with 12.2 and un-installed apper which was a disaster area then. Hadn't thought about it when I installed 12.3 and when it appeared with notices of updates I assumed it had been improved. Clearly not, so will dump it once more. Also will check repos but I think they are OK.

    Best wishes,
    Budgie2

  8. #8

    Default Re: Apper Update Gone Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Budgie2 View Post
    Hi,

    Yes, I took your advice with 12.2 and un-installed apper which was a disaster area then. Hadn't thought about it when I installed 12.3 and when it appeared with notices of updates I assumed it had been improved. Clearly not, so will dump it once more. Also will check repos but I think they are OK.

    Best wishes,
    Budgie2
    I'm using mostly apper for updates nowadays and didn't have problems for quite a long time...

    Try to run "zypper up", I guess this would also give you 1400+ updates, as apper doesn't really do anything else than call zypp.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5,500

    Default Re: Apper Update Gone Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Budgie2 View Post
    Yes, I took your advice with 12.2 and un-installed apper which was a disaster area then.
    You mean a disaster area for you on your 12.2 system, and now a disaster area for you on your 12.3 system. There seems to be a problem with your system(s).

    Apper has been totally reliable updating my 12.2 and continues that way. It's going ok on 12.3, just updated KDE to 10.2 using it, a lot of updates but not 1400.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Apper Update Gone Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Budgie2 View Post
    Hi,

    Yes, I took your advice with 12.2 and un-installed apper which was a disaster area then. Hadn't thought about it when I installed 12.3 and when it appeared with notices of updates I assumed it had been improved. Clearly not, so will dump it once more. Also will check repos but I think they are OK.

    Best wishes,
    Budgie2
    If you get a different set of updates than would have been presented by zypper up, then there's a serious bug in PackageKit-backend-zypp that must be investigated. The upgrades should always be exactly the same.

    You might want to post your repo list - 1400 updates is ridiculous so something's surely up with one of them. I can't believe that could happen if you've stuck to the official repos.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •