Thread: Eject/Umount graphically without kio_sysinfo

Hybrid View

Default Eject/Umount graphically without kio_sysinfo

Hi,

I have just installes opensuse 12.3 and I miss very much kio_sysinfo ("MyComputer").

I know there is a kio_sysinfo available from another repo (software.opensuse.org: Install package home:sumski:krap / kio_sysinfo), I will use it if needed, but I fear that sooner or later this will be not supported anymore so I am looking for another solution from the out-of-the box distro.

I know that the official answer from suse guys is that kinfocenter took the place of kio_sysinfo.
    That might be the case for the INFO on the system but I still miss something fundamental which kio_sysinfo does and kinfocenter not (at least I do not find it ... tell me if I am wrong): eject/umnount devices graphically.

It was great to right click on a device and be able to "disconnect" it (eject for an optical device, umount for a HD/stick). Simply: that's how it should be.

I know I can do everything from console but I do not think it is a nice solution even because sometimes you need to became root to let the system accept the command: everything is fine but it is really really not user friendly.

Please tell me how to do this in opensuse 12.3 out-of-the-box (say + packman) GRAPHICALLY.

Thanks.

Space Colony Lagrange Point 22° à, 77° Ƅ, 56° ɤ, 99° ɜ

Default Re: Eject/Umount graphically without kio_sysinfo

Quote Originally Posted by one71 View Post
    Hi,

I have just installes opensuse 12.3 and I miss very much kio_sysinfo ("MyComputer").

I know there is a kio_sysinfo available from another repo (software.opensuse.org: Install package home:sumski:krap / kio_sysinfo), I will use it if needed, but I fear that sooner or later this will be not supported anymore so I am looking for another solution from the out-of-the box distro.

I know that the official answer from suse guys is that kinfocenter took the place of kio_sysinfo.
    That might be the case for the INFO on the system but I still miss something fundamental which kio_sysinfo does and kinfocenter not (at least I do not find it ... tell me if I am wrong): eject/umnount devices graphically.

It was great to right click on a device and be able to "disconnect" it (eject for an optical device, umount for a HD/stick). Simply: that's how it should be.

I know I can do everything from console but I do not think it is a nice solution even because sometimes you need to became root to let the system accept the command: everything is fine but it is really really not user friendly.

Please tell me how to do this in opensuse 12.3 out-of-the-box (say + packman) GRAPHICALLY.

Thanks.
    One of the mods wrote a tool to install it https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jd...suse-12-3-136/
    GNOME Version 3.20.2
    openSUSE Leap 42.3 64-bit

www.vazhavandan.blogspot.com

I alway use the device notifier from the applets. It tells you when you connect a "come and go" storage device (by popping up). But you can also let it pop-up by clicking ob it. From there you can start several programs (like dolphin) direct for it. And there is the unmount/eject button also.
    Henk van Velden

Am 22.04.2013 10:26, schrieb hcvv:
    >
    > I alway use the device notifier from the applets. It tells you when you
    > connect a "come and go" storage device (by popping up). But you can also
    > let it pop-up by clicking ob it. From there you can start several
    > programs (like dolphin) direct for it. And there is the unmount/eject
    > button also.
    >
    >

you can also mount/unmount the non removable devices in dolphin (will
    ask for root password of course if it is not user mountable)

--
    PC: oS 12.3 x86_64 | i7-2600@3.40GHz | 16GB | KDE 4.10.0 | GTX 650 Ti
    ThinkPad E320: oS 12.3 x86_64 | i3@2.30GHz | 8GB | KDE 4.10.0 | HD 3000
    HannsBook: oS 12.3 x86_64 | SU4100@1.3GHz | 2GB | KDE 4.10.0 | GMA4500

And on the "Computer" tab in the KDE startmenu (kickoff) your (removable) devices are listed, too.
    Right-click on an entry there and select "Safely Remove".

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    And on the "Computer" tab in the KDE startmenu (kickoff) your (removable) devices are listed, too.
    Right-click on an entry there and select "Safely Remove".
    I've been using KDE4 since 4.2 and never, ever, noticed that. There's always something to learn, thanks.