Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Kmix customization question

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Default Kmix customization question

    Hello,
    I currently use openSUSE 12.2 with KDE 4.9.5. I have a few minor issues with the desktop and I hope I'm moving in the right direction for this one.
    The problem starts with kwin compositing (possibly on Nvidia's end), where some fullscreen videos/games have significant tearing no matter how I experiment with vsync gui options of applications/KDE/video driver. The acceptable workaround was to check the "disable compositing for fullscreen windows" option, which works great. However, when I use the keyboard shortcuts to adjust volume, the visual feedback gets really disruptive. Is there a way to disable it that I just can't find?
    In an unrelated question, is there a way to scale the change in volume to say, 1% with each stroke?
    Thank you for any assistance.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Austin - Texas
    Posts
    10,140
    Blog Entries
    48

    Smile Re: Kmix customization question

    Quote Originally Posted by sokiskatA View Post
    Hello,
    I currently use openSUSE 12.2 with KDE 4.9.5. I have a few minor issues with the desktop and I hope I'm moving in the right direction for this one.
    The problem starts with kwin compositing (possibly on Nvidia's end), where some fullscreen videos/games have significant tearing no matter how I experiment with vsync gui options of applications/KDE/video driver. The acceptable workaround was to check the "disable compositing for fullscreen windows" option, which works great. However, when I use the keyboard shortcuts to adjust volume, the visual feedback gets really disruptive. Is there a way to disable it that I just can't find?
    In an unrelated question, is there a way to scale the change in volume to say, 1% with each stroke?
    Thank you for any assistance.
    So are you running the nVIDIA proprietary video driver? I normally suggest looking at loading the nVIDIA driver the hard way (as it is called) which you can read about here: Installing the nVIDIA Video Driver the Hard Way - Blogs - openSUSE Forums and I have bash scripts for installing the driver for you: LNVHW - Load NVIDIA (driver the) Hard Way from runlevel 3 - Version 1.46 - Blogs - openSUSE Forums , to auto install if you compile your own kernels: S.A.N.D.I. - SuSE Automated NVIDIA Driver Installer - Version 1.00 - Blogs - openSUSE Forums and S.A.K.C. - SUSE Automated Kernel Compiler - Version 2.60 - Blogs - openSUSE Forums or if you stick with the open source video driver, just a newer kernel can help: openSUSE and Installing New Linux Kernel Versions - Blogs - openSUSE Forums all for just a few things you could try or do.

    Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

    Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

    Its James again from Austin, Texas

  3. #3

    Default Re: Kmix customization question

    I think I have the proprietary drivers from the nvidia repository for 12.2 (304.88 as seen on a gui tool). I will have a good look of the links tomorrow, but I had been scared by manual installations of drivers in the past, since I'm a novice and ran into trouble with auto-updates; using text logins to recover was very unpleasant
    I assume the links will guide me around that. Thanks for the suggestions.

    Anyway, I'd still be interested to know if it's possible to change that behaviour in Kmix, even for the purpose of learning a thing or two. Perhaps a text file I can edit as a last resort?

  4. #4

    Default Re: Kmix customization question

    Quote Originally Posted by sokiskatA View Post
    I think I have the proprietary drivers from the nvidia repository for 12.2 (304.88 as seen on a gui tool). I will have a good look of the links tomorrow, but I had been scared by manual installations of drivers in the past, since I'm a novice and ran into trouble with auto-updates; using text logins to recover was very unpleasant
    I assume the links will guide me around that. Thanks for the suggestions.


    Anyway, I'd still be interested to know if it's possible to change that behaviour in Kmix, even for the purpose of learning a thing or two. Perhaps a text file I can edit as a last resort?
    You can disable the On Screen Display in KMix's settings.
    Click on the KMix icon in the system tray, select "Mixer", and choose Settings->Configure KMix... from the menu.

    And I don't think installing the NVIDIA driver "the hard way" would help you in any way.
    I would just stay with the packages from the repo...

  5. #5

    Default Re: Kmix customization question

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    You can disable the On Screen Display in KMix's settings.
    Click on the KMix icon in the system tray, select "Mixer", and choose Settings->Configure KMix... from the menu.
    I did stumble on a random Kmix handbook while googling which mentioned something like that, but the ui is quite different on my system. There is no such checkbox to disable the OSD. Perhaps it's a different version?

    My window looks like this http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/6104/kmixui.png
    note that "volume feedback" only gives audio cues.
    Also, I'd rather not replace parts of KDE with different versions manually. But, if it's a safe approach to pick a different version of Kmix, I would give it a go. I'm just clueless.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Kmix customization question

    Oh, sorry!
    This seems to be a new option in 4.10 then.

    Unfortunately it is not easily possible to just update kmix.
    You would have to upgrade your whole KDE to 4.10.
    If you want to do that, add this repo:
    https://en.opensuse.org/KDE_reposito...KDE_SC_4.10.29
    and change your packages to this repo:
    https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Vendor_c..._Vendor_change

  7. #7

    Default Re: Kmix customization question

    This is a little late, but I just upgraded kmix to version 4.3 along with the whole kde 4.10 in the end, and everything works great, thanks for the suggestion. Drawing the OSD on top of fullscreen windows did after all cause the unwanted side-effects, which are now gone.
    Smooth transition to 4.10 and a great first impression, but I have to admit I dislike the default opensuse branding. What I love and hate about KDE, is that it gives you so many easy customization options, you're bound to forget how to set a thing or two.

    Also, I'll mention a possible solution to my unrelated question in case someone else has a similar issue. Apparently, you can directly edit a file even though there is no gui option. After closing kmix, open "/home/$usr/.kde4/share/config/kmixrc" (where $usr is your username). Below [Global], add/edit the line VolumePercentageStep=1 for a 1% change in volume instead of the default 5%. I found this tweak extremely helpful for finer volume control.
    In this file I also found a line "showOSD=false" which I tried adding to a KDE 4.8.5 installation with no effect, so it is indeed a new feature.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •