Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12.3 Network DVD Install Problem with USB Keyboard/Mouse

Default 12.3 Network DVD Install Problem with USB Keyboard/Mouse

[In all cases, in this post, 64bit Intel]

I have booted the SUSE 12.3 LIVE Gnome install, and it works fine. But it is not setup to do an upgrade install.

So, I pulled down the SUSE 12.3 Network install and it boots and then goes and boots the hard drive. Why? Because it fails to recognize the USB keyboard or mouse so I can not select anything -- and the default is boot from hard drive.

The Live Gnome install recognizes the USB keyboard and allows me to specify what I need to do (e.g., check the installation media/material).

The BIOS recognizes the keyboard as it allows me to get into it. I have tried a second keyboard made by a different company (logitech vs. ??? for the other -- and I can't remember the name of the company). Same results.

I was so hoping to upgrade from 11.4, since the RAID support side of the installs have been broken, or 12.x for some other reason won't work for me. I was hoping that 12.3 would finally be usable so I can upgrade.

Now before we get into "did you..." sillyness, yes, I used downthemall, and it checks the MD5 checksum as it runs. And it gave me the "green light" that it matched. But, unless you can direct the "loader" to do the check installation media, you can't verify this very well.

So it seems that the network DVD loader is somehow missing USB drivers.

Now, if needed, I could possibly run VMware instance with a minimal machine to test this. But given other posts that I've seen relative to 12.3, I have the distinct impression that there is a USB problem with the installer. Especially because the usb keyboard works with the BIOS so you can do the <del> and get the BIOS setup panel(s) and work with them.
    Anyone have any ideas as to where to go from here? Will the Network DVD Install get rebuilt to solve this issue?

[Of course, I'm in the middle of moving from TX to IN in the USofA, which is >800 mile move, so my mobo doc is NOT where I can get to it. But it is a Gigabyte with 8MB RAM and a dual core AMD 64 x2 Athlon 4200+]

Regards,
    Steve.T

Blog Entries

Smile Re: 12.3 Network DVD Install Problem with USB Keyboard/Mouse

Quote Originally Posted by wylbur View Post
    [In all cases, in this post, 64bit Intel]

I have booted the SUSE 12.3 LIVE Gnome install, and it works fine. But it is not setup to do an upgrade install.

So, I pulled down the SUSE 12.3 Network install and it boots and then goes and boots the hard drive. Why? Because it fails to recognize the USB keyboard or mouse so I can not select anything -- and the default is boot from hard drive.

The Live Gnome install recognizes the USB keyboard and allows me to specify what I need to do (e.g., check the installation media/material).

The BIOS recognizes the keyboard as it allows me to get into it. I have tried a second keyboard made by a different company (logitech vs. ??? for the other -- and I can't remember the name of the company). Same results.

I was so hoping to upgrade from 11.4, since the RAID support side of the installs have been broken, or 12.x for some other reason won't work for me. I was hoping that 12.3 would finally be usable so I can upgrade.

Now before we get into "did you..." sillyness, yes, I used downthemall, and it checks the MD5 checksum as it runs. And it gave me the "green light" that it matched. But, unless you can direct the "loader" to do the check installation media, you can't verify this very well.

So it seems that the network DVD loader is somehow missing USB drivers.

Now, if needed, I could possibly run VMware instance with a minimal machine to test this. But given other posts that I've seen relative to 12.3, I have the distinct impression that there is a USB problem with the installer. Especially because the usb keyboard works with the BIOS so you can do the <del> and get the BIOS setup panel(s) and work with them.
    Anyone have any ideas as to where to go from here? Will the Network DVD Install get rebuilt to solve this issue?

[Of course, I'm in the middle of moving from TX to IN in the USofA, which is >800 mile move, so my mobo doc is NOT where I can get to it. But it is a Gigabyte with 8MB RAM and a dual core AMD 64 x2 Athlon 4200+]

Regards,
    Steve.T
    My suggestion is to consider doing a clean install from a DVD. If you can get the DVD to work, I would wait till I could use a different keyboard, perhaps one that is hard wired and not wireless. Of course, always try a new battery for wireless when you first have trouble. I would run openSUSE 11.4 and then in YaST / System / Partitioner and write down (or make a print screen) of the drive names and mount names so there is no doubt what is what. Then, boot from the openSUSE 12.3 DVD install disk and select a new installation. I would then do a custom partition for Experts Only and edit each drive and select the very same mount point as before. Make sure to FORMAT only your root / partition and DO NOT FORMAT, but mount only, your /home partition and any other existing partitions. Once the install is complete, ALL user settings and files will be maintained. You do need to reload all past applications and redo system settings, but while keeping all personnel settings. It is the best of both worlds, a clean install and upgrade, and high recommended by me.

Thank You for using openSUSE,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Default Re: 12.3 Network DVD Install Problem with USB Keyboard/Mouse

Well first off upgrade from 11.4 is probably not a great idea. Jumping that many versions will probably not end well.

Sorry can't comment on RAID don't use it I look upon it is just an extra layer of stuff that can go bad.

After reading a new post check if IOMMU is enabled in the BIOS also try different ports maybe the front ones.

jdmcdaniel3: USB does not imply wireless. My keyboard and mouse are plugged into the mobo slots specifically reserved for mouse and keyboard. No PS2/USB converter, etc. USB cable direct into USB plug slots in the tower.

-----------------------

gogalthorp: Upgrading from 32bit to 64bit is bad news (BTDT). Why is doing an upgrade from 11.4 to 12.3 a bad idea?

And yes, I actually had to do this type of install to get from 11.3 to 11.4 (install it in its own partition and then manually mount /home, then do an upgrade install of 11.4 to 11.4). But 12.1 could not identify the RAID partitions and mount them even after the boot. 12.2, same problem.

12.3 GNOME LIVE DVD recognized them. But it doesn't provide an upgrade install. Network is supposed to provide an upgrade install. But the Network DVD fails to see the keyboard so you can select the install option, or the validate media option, etc.

813915 has been opened in Bugzilla for this.

Blog Entries

jdmcdaniel3: USB does not imply wireless. My keyboard and mouse are plugged into the mobo slots specifically reserved for mouse and keyboard. No PS2/USB converter, etc. USB cable direct into USB plug slots in the tower.

-----------------------

gogalthorp: Upgrading from 32bit to 64bit is bad news (BTDT). Why is doing an upgrade from 11.4 to 12.3 a bad idea?

And yes, I actually had to do this type of install to get from 11.3 to 11.4 (install it in its own partition and then manually mount /home, then do an upgrade install of 11.4 to 11.4). But 12.1 could not identify the RAID partitions and mount them even after the boot. 12.2, same problem.

12.3 GNOME LIVE DVD recognized them. But it doesn't provide an upgrade install. Network is supposed to provide an upgrade install. But the Network DVD fails to see the keyboard so you can select the install option, or the validate media option, etc.
    I only mentioned wireless because wireless keyboards and mice connect by USB and this was to clarify the situation. Further, do not dismiss my suggested for a clean install method. Upgrades, beyond a single version, can create problems as not all applications get replaced, which can cause mixed versions. Some old and new system settings can be problematic. Many have come hear to complain after the upgrade does not work. As the purveyor of your system, we only want to make sure you know all of the facts and we do wish you only the best outcome for any and all actions you might take with your openSUSE 11.4 installation.

Thank You,

Quote Originally Posted by jdmcdaniel3
    I would wait till I could use a different keyboard, perhaps one that is hard wired and not wireless. Of course, always try a new battery for wireless when you first have trouble. I would run openSUSE 11.4 and then in YaST / System / Partitioner and write down (or make a print screen) of the drive names and mount names so there is no doubt what is what.
    Having to deal with L1/2 personnel as a developer and get them out of the holes they dig, I'd say you fired from the hip making a bunch of assumptions.

A nickle's worth of free advice: Put down the shovel.

Blog Entries

Having to deal with L1/2 personnel as a developer and get them out of the holes they dig, I'd say you fired from the hip making a bunch of assumptions.

A nickle's worth of free advice: Put down the shovel.
    You are right in shooting from the hip and I often must try to help with the scants of information. Consider that we can not see and have not used your PC and do not know your knowledge level. We are here to help, but we are just volunteers providing help in using openSUSE as no one is making any money here. We do it because we believe in openSUSE and know that helping others helps us as well. Its worth a lot more than a nickel that I can assure you. We assume you are here because you were unable to figure out the problem on your own. So give us a chance and provide enough info to do so. As always, you are free to try else were if we were unable to live up to your expectations. We do the best we can everyday and in every way.

Thank You for using openSUSE,

Quote Originally Posted by jdmcdaniel3 View Post
    You are right in shooting from the hip and I often must try to help with the scants of information.
    Please go back and re-read the very first post. You had an incredible amount of information from someone who has only done 32 posts and by that measure has to be dumber than a box of rocks.

Two different DVDs used for install. Very specific that it is the loader that will not allow selection of options. Talked about the BIOS being able to see the keyboard because they can get into BIOS setup. Even mentioned trying a second keyboard.

Discusses possibly being able to set up a minimal VMware machine to test with.

So now you dismiss me, because we are volunteers here...

There is a reason I don't come to these forums and use them much.

Later, as in much.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast