Gnome 3.8 for openSUSE 12.3

Hello Everyone,

Congrats on the 12.3 release ! using it both with Gnome and KDE editions.

A question that you probably received a lot…when do you expect to have Gnome3.8 available for openSUSE 12.3?

Thanks and keep up the good work :wink:

On 04/06/2013 12:16 PM, nekron29 wrote:
> when do you expect to have Gnome3.8 available for openSUSE 12.3?

thanks for the nice words…but i’d doubt 3.8 would be available in
12.3 ever…lucky to get it in 13.1, delivered in just FIVE months…

on the other hand if you want to bleed you can add it in
yourself…but, i wouldn’t attempt it on a daily driver…a sandbox
maybe…i see 3.8.0.1 in factory…but that is a good long way from
“stable”…

on the third hand, maybe if it is rather stable 3.8 will find its way
into Tumbleweed before November…

dd
http://tinyurl.com/DD-Caveat

Originally GNOME 3.4 was shipped with openSUSE 12.2(released September 5th 2012) but we did get 3.6 for 12.2 around 29-Sep-2012
News announcement:- https://forums.opensuse.org/english/other-forums/news-announcements/announcements/479010-gnome-3-6-out-opensuse.html
Similarly there is chance to get 3.8 in probably a month . You should be warned that it is not going to be official. The release will not be bulletproof.
Also watch the repo location Index of /repositories/GNOME:/STABLE:

On 04/06/2013 01:36 PM, vazhavandan wrote:
> but we did get 3.6 for 12.2 around 29-Sep-2012

did that flow via the update repo into a fully supported 12.2 with
GNOME 3.6–that is if someone new installed 12.2 today would they
have 3.6 at the end of the install plus update process? no.

instead 3.6 was something that folks could add on their own by
selecting a new repo, crossing their fingers and do some pre-release
‘testing’ before it flowed into the next release…

imo, those two things are not the same.
12.3 will die with the same GNOME it was born with…

dd

I’m confused why you ask the question and then answer it yourself…

Gnome 3.8 stable repo will likely soon appear followed much later by Tumbleweed. This is how new versions have been made available to opensuse in the past.

It will not be barely working as you seem to imply.

GNOME 3.8.0 for openSUSE 12.3 @ Dominique a.k.a. DimStar (Dim*)

Watch this URL Index of /repositories/GNOME:/STABLE:
As soon as a stable build of all packages has finished succesfully, you’ll find a “3.8” folder here. That’s where the packages will appear.

I’m a massive fan of Gnome 3, especially so on openSUSE, where it feels really polished. Sure it’s only “stock” Gnome, but it always feels much smoother than the Fedora equivalent, and much less buggy. It’s how Gnome intended it to be imho, and it integrates with openSUSE so well.

We use KDE with openSUSE 12.3 on our laptop, but I’ll be installing the Gnome 3 edition shortly on my desktop. Can’t wait!

Now Gnome 3.8 seems to be there… But, I could not get it working yet. After upgrading, all gnome software started to crash with errors like below:

(gtk-update-icon-cache:2293): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: gtype.c:2720: You forgot to call g_type_init()
or
(process:2538): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: gtype.c:2720: You forgot to call g_type_init()

Oh well, some critical package is not there, I assume.

Did you follow the procedure described here ?
GNOME 3.8 for openSUSE 12.3 – GO GET IT @ Dominique a.k.a. DimStar (Dim*)

Yes but I had tons of problems with it, for example with mismatching checksums… Now I refreshed it again and try once more.

You should probably try the ISO

I got it working by removing the repo, downgrading to gnome 3.6, then re-adding and upgrading again. This time I had no problems, and there was much more packages to upgrade…

I hope not, as that would be a downgrade from the current target:
openSUSE:Goals 13.1 - openSUSE lol!

openSUSE 13.1 with 3.10,latest GNOME release is

I’m running Gnome 3.8 on my Asus Zenbook. Several observations thus far.

1. It seems very smooth. There have been a few random crashes.
  2. Some things are not up to 3.8 yet such as Gnome Tweak Tool.
  3. There seems to be a bug with VLC and Ivy Bridge hardware. When I play a video back with VLC the mouse cursor turns invisible. It’s still there and I can see it highlighting things etc, I just can’t see it. A log out brings the cursor back. This doesn’t occur on my machine with a Radeon card in it running on the OSS driver. It also doesn’t occur if I play the video back with Totem, however there seems to be some video tearing with Totem that wasn’t there before.

I will report back with more findings as they come up.

UPDATE:
I just did a complete downgrade and reinstall from the stable 3.8 repo and I don’t seem to have tearing in Totem now.

UPDATE 2:

It seems running XBMC makes the cursor invisible as well.

Sounds awfully familiar to these:

is? is da bomb? is sick? is super duper? is the worst thing that could ever happen ?
How could you leave us hanging like that ?rotfl!

Very interesting. I searched around with the thought that this was specifically a Gnome 3.8 bug as Gnome 3.6 worked perfectly. I read through those threads, but didn’t see anything concrete in terms of a work around. I’ll keep looking and see what turns up. Thanks.

I have been using Gnome 3.8 for a few days now, and seems to work pretty well. Biggest problem seems to be that Gnome Web (Epiphany) does not seem to understand proxy severs anymore. Can anyone give a try?