Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Tutorial for KDE in 12.3

  1. #1

    Default Tutorial for KDE in 12.3

    Hi everyone,

    I've been looking for a tutorial for how to use the new (to me) KDE in 12.3. Although I'm not new to linux, I have not used KDE in a long time and things like Plasma, Activities, Widgets, etc. are new to me. I kind of get the gist of it, but some of it seems pretty non-intuitive, though, and doesn't work like I expect. I have a feeling that if I saw a quick video I would be like...oh, duh.

    Thanks, Scott

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Austin - Texas
    Posts
    10,140
    Blog Entries
    48

    Smile Re: Tutorial for KDE in 12.3

    Quote Originally Posted by openSCOTT View Post
    Hi everyone,

    I've been looking for a tutorial for how to use the new (to me) KDE in 12.3. Although I'm not new to linux, I have not used KDE in a long time and things like Plasma, Activities, Widgets, etc. are new to me. I kind of get the gist of it, but some of it seems pretty non-intuitive, though, and doesn't work like I expect. I have a feeling that if I saw a quick video I would be like...oh, duh.

    Thanks, Scott
    Here is the list: https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Doc...ist_of_Manuals

    And the KDE stuff is here:

    KDE User Guide

    Introduces the KDE desktop of openSUSE. It guides you through using and configuring the desktop and helps you perform key tasks. It is intended mainly for users who want to make efficient use of KDE as their default desktop.

    HTML versions:

    /usr/share/doc/manual/opensuse-manuals_en/manual/book.kdeuser.html

    (package: opensuse-manuals_en)

    http://www.novell.com/documentation/...k_kdeuser.html

    PDF versions:

    /usr/share/doc/manual/opensuse-kdeuser_en-pdf/opensuse-kdeuser_en.pdf

    (package: opensuse-kdeuser_en-pdf)

    http://www.novell.com/documentation/...ok_kdeuser.pdf

    ePUB version:

    http://community.opensuse.org/ebooks/ebooks112/opensuse-kdeuser.epub


    And if you need a faster answer on a limited subject, just post a message in the right forum and ask for our help.

    Thank You for using openSUSE,
    Last edited by jdmcdaniel3; 05-Apr-2013 at 16:59.
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

    Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

    Its James again from Austin, Texas

  3. #3

    Default Re: Tutorial for KDE in 12.3

    Quote Originally Posted by jdmcdaniel3 View Post
    Here is the list: https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Doc...ist_of_Manuals

    And the KDE stuff is here:

    KDE User Guide

    Introduces the KDE desktop of openSUSE. It guides you through using and configuring the desktop and helps you perform key tasks. It is intended mainly for users who want to make efficient use of KDE as their default desktop.

    HTML versions:

    /usr/share/doc/manual/opensuse-manuals_en/manual/book.kdeuser.html

    (package: opensuse-manuals_en)

    http://www.novell.com/documentation/...k_kdeuser.html

    PDF versions:

    /usr/share/doc/manual/opensuse-kdeuser_en-pdf/opensuse-kdeuser_en.pdf

    (package: opensuse-kdeuser_en-pdf)

    http://www.novell.com/documentation/...ok_kdeuser.pdf

    ePUB version:

    http://community.opensuse.org/ebooks/ebooks112/opensuse-kdeuser.epub


    And if you need a faster answer on a limited subject, just post a message in the right forum and ask for our help.

    Thank You for using openSUSE,

    Thanks, I'll dig into that. I was hoping for something abbreviated. Having to study to figure out a desktop is a little too much like Windows 8...lol But hopefully in this case I will like what I discover.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Austin - Texas
    Posts
    10,140
    Blog Entries
    48

    Smile Re: Tutorial for KDE in 12.3

    Quote Originally Posted by openSCOTT View Post
    Thanks, I'll dig into that. I was hoping for something abbreviated. Having to study to figure out a desktop is a little too much like Windows 8...lol But hopefully in this case I will like what I discover.
    Well it seems you have the manual and then you can ask for very short and brief help here, but nothing in between. I must say that for any Windows XP user, you will find many things in common with KDE though just like Windows 8, KDE 4 has tried to distance itself from a common past. But again, if you can figure out something, you only need to ask here.

    Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

    Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

    Its James again from Austin, Texas

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Space Colony Lagrange Point 22° à, 77° Ƅ, 56° ɤ, 99° ɜ
    Posts
    3,166

    Default Re: Tutorial for KDE in 12.3

    Press F1 on your desktop. Some sort of manual might pop up
    GNOME Version 3.20.2
    openSUSE Leap 42.3 64-bit

    www.vazhavandan.blogspot.com

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    20,579
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Tutorial for KDE in 12.3

    Quote Originally Posted by openSCOTT View Post
    Hi everyone,

    I've been looking for a tutorial for how to use the new (to me) KDE in 12.3. Although I'm not new to linux, I have not used KDE in a long time and things like Plasma, Activities, Widgets, etc. are new to me. I kind of get the gist of it, but some of it seems pretty non-intuitive, though, and doesn't work like I expect. I have a feeling that if I saw a quick video I would be like...oh, duh.

    Thanks, Scott
    Plenty of youtube KDE 4 tutorial videos if you care to search:

    Linux Lesson - Intro to KDE (OpenSuse 12.3) - YouTube

  7. #7

    Default Re: Tutorial for KDE in 12.3

    Quote Originally Posted by vazhavandan View Post
    Press F1 on your desktop. Some sort of manual might pop up
    Not on mine!

  8. #8

    Default Re: Tutorial for KDE in 12.3

    Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    Plenty of youtube KDE 4 tutorial videos if you care to search:

    Linux Lesson - Intro to KDE (OpenSuse 12.3) - YouTube
    Hey, that's great--just the sort of thing I was looking for.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Earth - Denmark
    Posts
    10,730

    Default Re: Tutorial for KDE in 12.3

    On 04/07/2013 12:36 PM, openSCOTT wrote:
    >> Press F1 on your desktop. Some sort of manual might pop up

    > Not on mine!


    open KDE's KWrite (for example) and while it has focus, press F1

    --
    dd

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Space Colony Lagrange Point 22° à, 77° Ƅ, 56° ɤ, 99° ɜ
    Posts
    3,166

    Default Re: Tutorial for KDE in 12.3

    Quote Originally Posted by openSCOTT View Post
    Not on mine!
    Check whether something long these lines is installed on your machine "kde4-l10n-en_GB-doc - British English" and retry
    GNOME Version 3.20.2
    openSUSE Leap 42.3 64-bit

    www.vazhavandan.blogspot.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •