View Poll Results: How do you feel about Opensuse using Systemd?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • I like Systemd, and wish Opensuse to continue using it.

17 51.52%
  • I dislike Systemd, and wish they would return back to System V.

6 18.18%
  • I don't care about that part of the operating system.

7 21.21%
  • I wish Opensuse to adopt the Bsd init system like Slackware.

2 6.06%
  • I wish Opensuse to adopt the Upstart init system like Ubuntu.

0 0%
  • I wish a different init system or equivalent was use

1 3.03%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you feel about Opensuse using Systemd as the init system?

Post How do you feel about Opensuse using Systemd as the init system?

Opensuse begun using Systemd as the init system in version 12.1, replacing the previous System V. Version 12.2 continued to use it and 12.3 has too. Many Gnu/Linux users are reluctant towards the adoption of Systemd, Debian has chosen to not use it as its default but instead have it as optional package. The last version of Opensuse to use System V was 11.4, and it remains a very good release, still firing on, currently under evergreen. Some people think that all versions of Opensuse since the adoption of Systemd have been lousy in comparison to what 11.4 was/is. What do you think about Systemd?

Blog Entries

Default Re: How do you feel about Opensuse using Systemd as the init system?

I'm not voting at the moment, because none of the choices fits.

I don't have strong opinions, but I do care about that part of the system.

I have adapted to systemd. However, I'm not at all sure why the change. It seems to me that Sysv-init worked quite well. It was a kind of swiss army knife, in the sense that it was highly versatile. I'm am not sure whether we may have lost some of that versatility. Perhaps startup is faster with systemd, but the difference does not seem great.
    opensuse Leap 42.3; KDE Plasma 5;
    opensuse tumbleweed; KDE Plasma 5 (test system);
    also testing Leap 15.0 Beta

Blog Entries

Smile Re: How do you feel about Opensuse using Systemd as the init system?

So I voted, but systemd was selected by our openSUSE developers because they feel it is the direction we need to go. It does not matter what we think but many other reputable distributions have also switched to using systemd. Its not good to be the first, but it might be real bad to be the last SystemV hold out. The same really holds true for using Grub2 as well. So, I do believe systemd has reduced startup time, but its too complicated for the average user to use in my opinion and is not properly supported for users to work with it in YaST. YaST needs to do more with systemd in place of what has been taken from YaST and the run level stuff.

For users wanting more fun with systemd, I have a few blogs on related subjects:

1) The after.local file stopped working with the switch to systemd: systemd and using the after.local script in openSUSE 12.1 - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

2) dkms (from Packman) stopped working with the switch to systemd: DKMS & systemd - How to get Dynamic Kernel Module Support to work in openSUSE 12.1 - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

3) The APC UPS monitor got switched to using systemd: apcupsd & apcupsd-gui (gapcmon) fails to load under systemd and the new openSUSE 12.3 - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Space Colony Lagrange Point 22° à, 77° Ƅ, 56° ɤ, 99° ɜ

From a home PC perspective it doesn't matter whether it is init or systemd.
    GNOME Version 3.20.2
    openSUSE Leap 42.3 64-bit

www.vazhavandan.blogspot.com

On 04/05/2013 11:56 PM, knightron wrote:
    > Question: How do you feel about Opensuse using Systemd?

i need one more possibility to vote for:

-Though I know this poll will have absolutely no impact on which
    (systemv or systemd) is used in the future, I really wish the poll
    starter knew how to spell both openSUSE and systemd prior to starting it.

--
    dd

the only negative noticed is the system.journal,

why is the size of directory /var/log/journal/<32bit#>/
    and file /var/log/journal/<32bit#>/system.journal not limited by default?

Quote Originally Posted by keellambert View Post
    the only negative noticed is the system.journal,

why is the size of directory /var/log/journal/<32bit#>/
    and file /var/log/journal/<32bit#>/system.journal not limited by default?
    It is limited to 190MB or something. I saw that message when i exited booting splash/plymouth by hitting esc
    GNOME Version 3.20.2

Systemd feels faster and I can't see any disadavantages or drawbacks over the old init system. I like it.

From the speed point of view I did not see any what so ever advantage of Systemd vs. SysVinit. The very fact that somebody here stated that it would have been a bad choice not to shift in time when all bigger distributions change means for me that the two systems are NOT simply a "plugin", therefore exchangeable easily one with the other. The adoption of Systemd up to know takes away in my view a big amount of control and of openness (aggressively paralleling services means you cannot control what is going on). Debugging of the boot process gets AFAIU more difficult and the fact of less control for the user is going for my taste in the wrong direction.

As long as with Systemd there will not be a distinct and very evident advantage visible to all users and programmers, this will be another step in a Window-izing direction (where window-izing is referring to the lack of quality and safety of a well known commercial product).
    Would this be the first event of this kind? No, if you think of it, both KDE and Gnome did "huge steps forward technologically" but with neither I did notice a gain in usability, reliability, safety and user control.

Thus, I will be eager to "worship" Systemd adoption as soon as one distinctive advantage visible to me as a user. That would boil down on "never change a winning team". But for practical reasons one will have to adopt what the distribution will decide.
    So we did with KDE (and I am still waiting to see that "huge" step forward in usability and intuitiveness") while I leave this judgement on Gnome to assiduous Gnome users. Besides: the argument "we had to change because all major distributions did" isn't that a bit like saying "eat more sh...., millions of flies cannot be wrong!"?
    As a user I hope for the best and trust that there is no such thing that cannot be "turned back in time". For voting on that it is just too early.
    Just "clicking away" security warnings about a change in repo signature ? Not able to control?
    Then please vote for
    https://features.opensuse.org/312047
    openSUSE should have an efficient web of trust.

Quote Originally Posted by stakanov View Post
    the argument "we had to change because all major distributions did"
    That is a very compelling reason to change as obviously more people would be using , reporting bugs ,fixing bugs for systemd rather than init. Why are all the shifting from Unix ==> Linux servers. It is simply because Linux is being used by many nowadays.
    GNOME Version 3.20.2

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast