Thread: Lots of unnecessary depencies while installing softwares

Default Lots of unnecessary depencies while installing softwares

I tried to install git. But in the dependency list, there is also cvs, svn and lots of others things. I tried installing Amarok but it install Kafeine too. It would be nice if the dependency can be put to a minimum. In Kubuntu, we have an option to treat recommended packages as dependency in the software center.

Default Re: Lots of unnecessary depencies while installing softwares

I found this in YaST
    options > ignore recommended packages for already installed packages

Space Colony Lagrange Point 22° à, 77° Ƅ, 56° ɤ, 99° ɜ

Quote Originally Posted by Nayar View Post
    I tried to install git. But in the dependency list, there is also cvs, svn and lots of others things. I tried installing Amarok but it install Kafeine too. It would be nice if the dependency can be put to a minimum. In Kubuntu, we have an option to treat recommended packages as dependency in the software center.
    I selected git for installation in YaST and it wanted to download 9.3MB worth of packages which is nothing.Just ignore it.It might be worth considering if my package size is a few MBs and it tries to pull in tens of MBs of data
    GNOME Version 3.20.2
    openSUSE Leap 42.3 64-bit

www.vazhavandan.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Nayar View Post
    In general, and that is the way you put it in the above titel of your thread, I do not think it is true.

Now reading your post, I see you are talking about a certain product: git. Next time can you please put that clearly in your thread title? It will prevent people who have no idea about the subject (in this case git) from spending useless time on your thread.
    Henk van Velden

Default AW: Lots of unnecessary depencies while installing softwares

Use the --no-recommends option for a more minimalistic install. Here my comparison:

Code:
    ~/ zypper in git
    Loading repository data...
    Reading installed packages...
    Resolving package dependencies...

The following NEW packages are going to be installed:
      cvs cvsps git git-core git-cvs git-email git-gui git-svn git-web gitk libapr-util1 libapr1 libserf-1-0 perl-Authen-SASL perl-Clone perl-DBD-SQLite perl-DBI perl-Error perl-IO-Socket-INET6 
      perl-IO-Socket-SSL perl-MLDBM perl-Net-Daemon perl-Net-LibIDN perl-Net-SMTP-SSL perl-Net-SSLeay perl-Params-Util perl-PlRPC perl-SQL-Statement perl-Socket6 subversion subversion-perl 

The following recommended packages were automatically selected:
      git-cvs git-email git-gui git-svn git-web gitk perl-Authen-SASL perl-Clone perl-IO-Socket-INET6 perl-MLDBM perl-Net-Daemon perl-Net-LibIDN perl-Net-SMTP-SSL perl-PlRPC perl-SQL-Statement 

The following package is suggested, but will not be installed:
      git-daemon 

31 new packages to install.
    Overall download size: 9.0 MiB. After the operation, additional 36.5 MiB will be used.
    Continue? [y/n/?] (y): n
    Code:
    ~/ zypper in --no-recommends git
    Loading repository data...
    Reading installed packages...
    Resolving package dependencies...

The following NEW packages are going to be installed:
      git git-core perl-Error 

The following packages are recommended, but will not be installed (only required packages will be installed):
      git-cvs git-email git-gui git-svn git-web gitk 

The following package is suggested, but will not be installed:
      git-daemon 

3 new packages to install.
    Overall download size: 2.9 MiB. After the operation, additional 16.3 MiB will be used.
    Continue? [y/n/?] (y): n
    zypp it...