Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: openSUSE/Windows8 dual boot installation Questions for Secure Boot, UEFI and GPT

Blog Entries

Default Re: openSUSE/Windows8 dual boot installation Questions for Secure Boot, UEFI and GPT

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    ok ... so if I create a new EFI partition and call it /boot/efi ... what do I mount the old OEM EFI boot partition as ? Or do I just ignore the old OEM EFI boot partition in openSUSE and only mount a new separate /boot/efi partition in openSUSE. ?
    Yes, you just ignore the original EFI partition. Think of it as owned by Windows.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;

Blog Entries

Default Re: openSUSE/Windows8 dual boot installation Questions for Secure Boot, UEFI and GPT

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    There are workarounds for the problems I have mentioned. See my blog post:

Thankyou for that blog entry, and also for pointing it out to me.

A question on that, ... after one creates a separate GNU/Linux /boot/EFI partition and uses it, does one need to do anything special for the UEFI BIOS to recognize it as the boot partition ? Does one need to boot to the UEFI BIOS and manually set this new EFI partition to be flagged/entered ? Or is the fact that it is a VFAT marked as 'active/boot' set ef00 (or what ever the GPT equivalent flag may be) that brings it to the UEFI BIOS attention ?

And a follow up question, if the the UEFI BIOS now also recognizes the 2nd partition, does the UEFI BIOS use both the original OEM and the new GNU/Linux UEFI when it presents to the user a booting menu ? How does that look when booting ?

does one need to do anything special for the UEFI BIOS to recognize it as the boot partition ?
    UEFI does not have notion of "boot partition". UEFI firmware tries to load and execute file. This file may be located on any partition firmware can recognize. For UEFI compliant firmware support for FAT filesystem on a partition of type ESP is mandatory, but firmware may be extended to support other partition or filesystem types, it really depends on vendor. Firmware also maintains list of possible boot entries in non-volatile memory; each entry has full path to file which includes device/partition and file name.

So what you need is to add bootloader (grub2) to list of boot entries; normally it happens automatically during installation. Or on Linux you can use efibootmgr to modify boot entries.

Blog Entries

... you can also have a second EFI partition on a single hard drive. Create it in the usual way with "gdisk" and give it a partition type code of EF00. Format as FAT32.

I think if you allocate a new partition while installing, and set it to mount as "/boot/efi" and to be formatted, the partitioner will get the type code and the format right (not actually tested).
    How I move from the theory to the practical is now starting to take up my thoughts. If I read this right then during the openSUSE install, I would customize the partitions, adding with the openSUSE installer's partitioner application a new partition "/boot/efi" of tbd size : 100 MB ? 256 MB ? and of format type VFAT . This will be a bit new/educational to me, as typically I use gparted liveCD or pmagic liveCD to create my partitions prior to installing openSUSE - so I will need (for the 1st time) to use the openSUSE partitioner to do this.

I'm still 2 weeks away from picking up my ultrabook (with UEFI/GPT) and it may be another 3 to 4 weeks after that, before I install 12.3 on it (... but one never knows - I may get 'impatient' and attempt to install 12.3 sooner than the additional 3 to 4 weeks ).

Blog Entries

This will be a bit new/educational to me, as typically I use gparted liveCD or pmagic liveCD to create my partitions prior to installing openSUSE - so I will need (for the 1st time) to use the openSUSE partitioner to do this.
    You can still use a live CD to create the partitions ahead of time. That's the way I did it.

In my case, I used a live CD that had the "gdisk" command. I'm not sure which, but it may have been the opensuse 12.3 rescue CD (probably from the Beta release). You should also be able to do it with a gparted live CD, though I don't know off the top of my head what you have to tell gparted to have it create an EFI partition (or to flag a VFAT partition as an EFI partition).

For the actual install, you would make sure that you boot in UEFI mode (you can use the DVD or the live image written to DVD or USB) for that. If you install with the DVD, it will automatically want to use grub2-efi for booting. It is my understanding that the live image gets that wrong, so you would have to explicitely configure it to use grub2-efi. So, with the DVD installer, it's recommended partitioning will want to mount something to "/boot/efi". You would ignore that, click on "create partitioning" (if I recall), and tell it to use the partition that you have assigned for that purpose. Since it is a newly created partition with nothing on it, you can tell the partitioner to format during install. Make sure it is vfat or fat32 (I don't remember what the choices are). And it will probably set the partition type to EFI for you if you missed doing that in gparted.

As for size. For my second EFI partition, I am currently using only 5M (of the 500M partition size). Allocating 100M should be more than adequate.

Blog Entries

You can still use a live CD to create the partitions ahead of time. That's the way I did it.
    Thanks, ... I'm getting more confident wrt this with each clarifying post.

I can see I'll be tempted to install openSUSE-12.3 fairly soon upon receipt of the Toshiba Ultrabook (with UEFI/GPT) while I am still in Canada ... but despite that likely temptation, I think I'll endeavor to be patient and wait until I return to Europe. I plan to disable secure boot, and for the couple of weeks in which I am in North America I may just boot the Ultrabook to a liveCD (so to get my GNU/Linux fix).

Another possibility to fight of the temptation to rush into this: I'll also have a Tablet with Android and my wife will have her Lenovo X220 (which has openSUSE-12.3 on it) - my wife has volunteered to swap her older Lenovo (with openSUSE) for my new Toshiba (with Windows8) for the 2 weeks in which we are in North America, and that reads to be a fair way for me to have openSUSE-12.3 access with her Lenovo (and she gets to play with Windows8 with my new Toshiba).

Blog Entries

Thanks, ... I'm getting more confident wrt this with each clarifying post.
    I'm sure you will do fine.

When my UEFI box arrived, I waited several weeks before trying to install linux. That was partly waiting till I got around to ordering a second hard drive to install. I spent time on the Internet getting to know more about gpt and UEFI. Taking your time is probably wise here.

At present I have secure-boot disabled. But I do enable it from time to time. It's useful to test how that works out. I did tell the installer (boot section) to setup secure boot. At present, the only thing that doesn't work with secure-boot is Tumbleweed - the newer kernels are not signed or not suitable signed for secure boot. On the other hand, I'm not convinced that secure boot actually does anything of real value.

Blog Entries

When my UEFI box arrived, I waited several weeks before trying to install linux. That was partly waiting till I got around to ordering a second hard drive to install. I spent time on the Internet getting to know more about gpt and UEFI. Taking your time is probably wise here.

At present I have secure-boot disabled. But I do enable it from time to time. It's useful to test how that works out. I did tell the installer (boot section) to setup secure boot. At present, the only thing that doesn't work with secure-boot is Tumbleweed - the newer kernels are not signed or not suitable signed for secure boot. On the other hand, I'm not convinced that secure boot actually does anything of real value.
    I note there has been recent work in updating the openSUSE wiki page on UEFI : https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:UEFI

I'm hoping to learn enough about UEFI to pass on what I learn in a future meeting in a GNU/Linux User group that I attend.

You will surprise yourself oldcpu - although uefi seems a bit starnge at first after years of bios it is a much better system (IMHO) once you get used to it.

Blog Entries

I picked up a new Toshiba Ultrabook Z930 earlier this week, which comes with Windows8, a UEFI firmware with secure boot and GPT partitioning. I plan to wait two to three weeks before I install GNU/Linux on this computer. Out of curiousity I booted it to a 64-bit openSUSE-12.3 KDE liveDVD to obtain an indication of what sort of things I may need to look for on the GNU/Linux side of the house. There are some success stories with this ultrabook and other GNU/Linux distributions on linlap website but none for openSUSE.

Just booting to the liveCD was initially tricky. While the aforementioned linlap site noted pressing F2 (to obtain basic UEFI firmware setting control) and F12 (to obtain a boot menu), I note for many other laptops with Windows8 one goes to Windows8 advanced settings menu to tell a laptop to reboot to a USB device. I tried the latter (Windows8 advance settings with a reboot) and while that worked to obtain the UEFI firmware configuration controls (where I disabled 'secure boot') that did not work for booting the Ultrabook to a USB stick nor to a USB external DVD drive. Instead I needed to follow the aforementioned F12 setting to obtain a boot menu that worked (which I applied for the USB external drive).

My first effort to boot to the 64-bit openSUSE-12.3 KDE liveDVD failed with the nominal selection, and also failed to reach X with the safe settings. Having a Safe Settings boot fail to reach X was a surprise (it did reach run level 3).

But what did work was booting to the 64-bit openSUSE-12.3 KDE liveDVD with the nominal selection, pressing E to get the grub2 menu and adding the boot codes 'nomodeset' and 'plymouth.enable=0'. That booted the Utrabook to the FBDEV graphic driver. I then rebooted with only the 'plymouth.enable=0' boot code edit, which worked and booted to the 'intel' graphic driver. I have not confirmed 100% but it appears with openSUSE-12.3 KDE liveDVD that plymouth needs to be disabled for this Ultrabook to boot. After I confirm this, I may raise a bug report on openSUSE.

I noted this GPT partitioning on this new Ultrabook:
    Code:
    linux:/home/linux # gdisk -l /dev/sda
    GPT fdisk (gdisk) version 0.8.5

Partition table scan:
      MBR: protective
      BSD: not present
      APM: not present
      GPT: present

Found valid GPT with protective MBR; using GPT.
    Disk /dev/sda: 500118192 sectors, 238.5 GiB
    Logical sector size: 512 bytes
    Disk identifier (GUID): A9B29122-31C4-11E2-AF00-E8E0B773C368
    Partition table holds up to 128 entries
    First usable sector is 34, last usable sector is 500118158
    Partitions will be aligned on 2048-sector boundaries
    Total free space is 2669 sectors (1.3 MiB)

Number  Start (sector)    End (sector)  Size       Code  Name
       1            2048          923647   450.0 MiB   2700  Basic data partition
       2          923648         1456127   260.0 MiB   EF00  Basic data partition
       3         1456128         1718271   128.0 MiB   0C01  Basic data partition
       4         1718272       468746239   222.7 GiB   0700  Basic data partition
       5       468746240       487534591   9.0 GiB     2700  Basic data partition
       6       487534592       500117503   6.0 GiB     FFFF  Basic data partition
    This is not precisely what I expected as I was anticipating 5 and not 6 partitions. As to what all these partitions do, I do not yet know. I'm finding it will take a bit of getting acustomed to Windows8 before I proceed much further. I want to backup Windows8 and also defrag its hard drive, before installing openSUSE-12.3 (plus brush up some more on UEFI/GPT aspects, and also sort some wireless issues).

I note sort some wireless issues, as I did not succeed in getting the liveCD wireless to work (after about 5 minutes of trying - upon which I stopped my efforts). I'll likely post on the wireless forum on this subject. I note other GNU/Linux distros have succeeded with wireless and this Ultrabook so I suspect its either a hardware configuration (with Windows8 disabling the wireless) or an openSUSE configuration issue (although i did apply one of the known fixes for the openSUSE-12.3 wireless bug which did not work - hence my suspecting issue is not openSUSE).

I also noted some ACPI warnings in the boot logs and I suspect some ACPI issues that I will need to research, I may report on, and dependant on the nature may raise a bug report.

Again, it will be 2 to 3 weeks before I put openSUSE on this Ultrabook. I'll likely carve the 227 GB partition in 1/2, given 1/2 to Windows8 and 1/2 to openSUSE. If I can reduce Windows8 to less than 50% of that partition I will do so, but i do recall with Windows-Vista and Windows7, 50% was the minimum size they nominally allowed for partition size reduction.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast