Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: openSUSE/Windows8 dual boot installation Questions for Secure Boot, UEFI and GPT

Default Re: openSUSE/Windows8 dual boot installation Questions for Secure Boot, UEFI and GPT

I found this thread very interesting, - my wife has a new Compaq CQ58-306SA. It has Win8. The non-Pro version

Win8 has confirmed all my prejudices about its murky interface and arcane logic and I was going to put my Suse12.3x64 dvd into its optical drive, start it up with Control pressed and boot from the Suse dvd to install the 2nd virtual machine.
    In view of the comments about Secure Boot and UEFI I will, perhaps, wait until Suse 13 is released, with a rather more proven/established Grub2 to accommodate Secure Boot.

I just hope my wife hasn't had a nervous breakdown before that time - she can always revert to WinXP on her very elderly Asus laptop.

Default Re: openSUSE/Windows8 dual boot installation Questions for Secure Boot, UEFI and GPT

Quote Originally Posted by arvidjaar View Post
    Of course, as secure boot allows booting only known good binary, there is no need to block removable media.
    This would be reasonable.

But does this reflect the 'standards'?

With a bit of time.

It should at least be possible to, in a first step, disable 'secure boot', which would mean that one ends up in plain UEFI mode
    (i.e. not yet using CSM = Compatibility Support Module = old BIOS / MBR mode).

Then install openSUSE 12.3 in UEFI mode (which requires a GPT instead of an MBR !),
    and after installing openSUSE 12.3, enable 'secure boot' again.

All that said on the background that openSUSE 12.3 should be able to boot in 'secure boot' mode,
    and will even be, when installed in plain UEFI mode - which I can't verify.

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    This can only be determined by trying and seeing what happens.
    In my case, I copied the install dvd iso to a usb (using "dd_rescue"). I was able to boot and install with secure boot enabled.
    If it works like this then this is even much better

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ratzi View Post
    Then install openSUSE 12.3 in UEFI mode (which requires a GPT instead of an MBR !),
    and after installing openSUSE 12.3, enable 'secure boot' again.
    This should work, if done with care.

While installing openSUSE, you must get into the booting section of install, and select the box "secure boot". Otherwise it will be installed in a way such that secure-boot is not possible. Unfortunately, the default does not select that box even when installing with secure-boot enabled.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;

Unfortunately, the default does not select that box even when installing with secure-boot enabled.
    Could you check on your Linux running under secure boot whether you get access to EFI variable SecureBoot (under /sys/firmware/efi)? I guess it makes sense for efibootmgr to print it (and possibly allow to change it).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by arvidjaar View Post
    Could you check on your Linux running under secure boot whether you get access to EFI variable SecureBoot (under /sys/firmware/efi)? I guess it makes sense for efibootmgr to print it (and possibly allow to change it).
    There is this:
    Code:
    ls -l /sys/firmware/efi/vars/SecureBoot-8be4df61-93ca-11d2-aa0d-00e098032b8c
    total 0
    -r-------- 1 root root 4096 Apr 14 07:39 attributes
    -r-------- 1 root root 4096 Apr 14 07:39 data
    -r-------- 1 root root 4096 Apr 14 07:39 guid
    -rw------- 1 root root 4096 Apr 14 07:39 raw_var
    -r-------- 1 root root 4096 Apr 14 07:39 size
    I'm not sure if that is what you are looking for, but it's the closest I could find.

I'm not sure if that is what you are looking for, but it's the closest I could find.
    Just checking if it is possible to see during installation whether secure boot is enabled. According to spec, SecureBoot==1 should indicate it is on. So it makes sense to open feature request for installer. At least so it is not forgotten.

Blog Entries

If you install opensuse the right way, then the boot code will go in an EFI partition, not on any boot sector. My advice is to create a second small EFI partition for that. The evidence I have seen is that when you share an EFI partition with Windows, there can be frustration (Windows does not play nice). In my case, I added a second hard drive and put the additional EFI partition there. I have also experimented with a second EFI partition on the first drive, and that also works. A size of 100M would be sufficient.

The partition "/boot/efi" would be the EFI partition that you use. It is formatted vfat, and given the partition type code for EFI. Use grub2-efi for booting. Be sure to check the "secure boot" box on the booting install window.

You might find that the grub2 menu entry for Windows cannot boot Windows unless you turn off secure-boot. There's a fix for that in the works (bug 809038), but I don't think it is out yet.
    Having come back to this thread after some months, ... I am now confused.

When one receives a PC from the OEM with Windows8 installed, is there already a small separate EFI partition ? Thank you for your time , and my apologies for being slow and a bit thick headed on this.

If so is this the /boot/efi VFAT partition that is being talked about ?

I am confused by the recommendation for a second EFI partition. If this is not /boot/efi , is this /boot/grub ?? Because of the dialog / explanations going back and forth, I don't know what (if anything) is the viewed accepted approach.

Please, coud I beg someone's indulgence to point me in the correct direction here ?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    Having come back to this thread after some months, ... I am now confused.
    UEFI is confusing, though it shouldn't be.
    When one receives a PC from the OEM with Windows8 installed, is there already a small separate EFI partition ? Thank you for your time , and my apologies for being slow and a bit thick headed on this.
    Yes, there will already be an EFI partition. For my system, it was sized at 500M (on a 1TB disk). If using a smaller SSD, I presume the EFI partition would be smaller.
    If so is this the /boot/efi VFAT partition that is being talked about ?
    You can have more than one of them.

In my case, I added a second hard drive, and created an EFI partition there. That seems to have been a good choice, minimizing my problems. However, you can also have a second EFI partition on a single hard drive. Create it in the usual way with "gdisk" and give it a partition type code of EF00. Format as FAT32.

I think if you allocate a new partition while installing, and set it to mount as "/boot/efi" and to be formatted, the partitioner will get the type code and the format right (not actually tested).

I am confused by the recommendation for a second EFI partition. If this is not /boot/efi , is this /boot/grub ?? Because of the dialog / explanations going back and forth, I don't know what (if anything) is the viewed accepted approach.

Please, coud I beg someone's indulgence to point me in the correct direction here ?
    There's a long story about this, with tales of woe all over the Internet (google around).

Here's what happens on my system:

If I install opensuse (or any UEFI aware linux), and use the existing EFI partition, then everything works well. After install, the grub menu comes up, and defaults to the linux system, but with an entry for Window 8.

So then I boot Windows 8.

Later I reboot linux -- oops, it boots straight into Windows 8. The capability of booting linux has been erased. To be clear, the software is intact. It is the NVRAM entry that the firmware uses that has been erased.

If I install into a second EFI partition, then the capability of booting linux remains. When I originally did that, the Grub menu item for Windows did not work. You might run into that, but it will be fixed after you have run online updates.

A different UEFI BIOS might have different problems.

If you install Fedora 18, its default is to create a new EFI partition. Opensuse 12.2 also created a new EFI partition (this is from hearsay, not from personal experience). Opensuse 12.3 seems to use the existing EFI partition, but it might want to reformat that. DO NOT let it reformat "/boot/efi" (unless it is a new partition).

There are workarounds for the problems I have mentioned. See my blog post:

I hope that helps.

Blog Entries

UEFI is confusing, though it shouldn't be.
    ..... snipped ....
    I hope that helps.
    It helps a bit

But I'm still puzzled. Lets say I wish to be conservative and create a second EFI partition (for GNU/Linux). My SD drive (no spinning hard drive) will be 256GB with Windows 8 probably stealing 50% of that space.

Yes, there will already be an EFI partition. For my system, it was sized at 500M (on a 1TB disk). If using a smaller SSD, I presume the EFI partition would be smaller.

In my case, I added a second hard drive, and created an EFI partition there.

I think if you allocate a new partition while installing, and set it to mount as "/boot/efi" and to be formatted, the partitioner will get the type code and the format right (not actually tested).
    ok ... so if I create a new EFI partition and call it /boot/efi ... what do I mount the old OEM EFI boot partition as ? Or do I just ignore the old OEM EFI boot partition in openSUSE and only mount a new separate /boot/efi partition in openSUSE. ?

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast