Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: openSUSE/Windows8 dual boot installation Questions for Secure Boot, UEFI and GPT

Blog Entries

Default Re: openSUSE/Windows8 dual boot installation Questions for SecureBoot, UEFI and GPT

On Fri 05 Apr 2013 09:56:04 PM CDT, oldcpu wrote:

I appreciate all the stories, accounts and explanations on this. I am
    hoping it will help to remove a lot of the fog and mystery and thus
    potentially prevent me from making too many mistakes.

arvidjaar;2544898 Wrote:
    >
    > This is /boot/grub2 in 12.3. /boot/grub2-efi is link retained only for
    > compatibility with previous version and already removed in factory. So
    > it is better to not get accustomed to it
    >

I've read of /boot/grub2 and /boot/grub2-efi in various posts. One
    point that is not clear to me, as I have conflicting memories as to what
    I have read, ... is /boot/grub2 in a separate partition, or does it
    share a partition with / or with an MS-Windows boot partition (but in
    its own separate directory in the shared partition and sim linked/mapped
    (or what ever) from an openSUSE /boot/grub2).

I ask that dumb question as I have read both explanations (albeit for
    different GNU/Linux distributions).

Hi
    The only partition that needs to be separate is the ESP which
    is /boot/efi as this needs to be vfat and set to type ef00 for the UEFI
    boot. Every thing else can be how ever you like, separate /boot
    residing in / wherever

--
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 12.3 (x86_64) Kernel 3.7.10-1.1-desktop
    up 4 days 5:43, 3 users, load average: 0.02, 0.04, 0.05
    CPU Intel® i5 CPU M520@2.40GHz | GPU Intel® Ironlake Mobile

Blog Entries

Default Re: openSUSE/Windows8 dual boot installation Questions for Secure Boot, UEFI and GPT

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    I have a number of TPM (secure boot), UEFI/EFI, and GPT (GUID partition table) related installation questions that I am looking for help on.
    I'll comment on my experience (with a Dell desktop system).

I'm not quite sure about the partitions. With the mouse over the partitions in Windows disk manager, two of them show as recovery, and one shows as OEM. The others are the EFI (for booting) and the main Windows partition.

When I turn off secure-boot, Windows still boots without a problem.

I started creating Windows recovery DVD, except that it told me that it wanted a USB, not a DVD. Further investigation told me that it wants a 32G USB device for recovery media, and will overwrite whatever is already on that disk. I have not got around to doing that. I did make a full Acronis backup to an external disk.

If you install opensuse the right way, then the boot code will go in an EFI partition, not on any boot sector. My advice is to create a second small EFI partition for that. The evidence I have seen is that when you share an EFI partition with Windows, there can be frustration (Windows does not play nice). In my case, I added a second hard drive and put the additional EFI partition there. I have also experimented with a second EFI partition on the first drive, and that also works. A size of 100M would be sufficient.

The partition "/boot/efi" would be the EFI partition that you use. It is formatted vfat, and given the partition type code for EFI. Use grub2-efi for booting. Be sure to check the "secure boot" box on the booting install window.

You might find that the grub2 menu entry for Windows cannot boot Windows unless you turn off secure-boot. There's a fix for that in the works (bug 809038), but I don't think it is out yet.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;

Blog Entries

Default Re: openSUSE/Windows8 dual boot installation Questions for SecureBoot, UEFI and GPT

On Fri 05 Apr 2013 10:56:01 PM CDT, nrickert wrote:

<snip>

A size of 100M would be sufficient.

<snip>
    Hi
    It should be fine for a dual boot setup. I would probably look at
    something bigger than 100MB, openSUSE 12.3 by default enables multi
    kernel versions?

I run gummiboot, which copies the kernel and initrd into efi
    partition, on my test machine I have it at 256MB
    to allow for them all... 3 installs (Win7, 12.2 and 12.3) and multiple
    kernels.... the next kernel upgrade would push mine over 100MB.

--
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 12.3 (x86_64) Kernel 3.7.10-1.1-desktop
    up 4 days 7:37, 4 users, load average: 0.11, 0.10, 0.06
    CPU Intel® i5 CPU M520@2.40GHz | GPU Intel® Ironlake Mobile

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    It should be fine for a dual boot setup. I would probably look at
    something bigger than 100MB, openSUSE 12.3 by default enables multi
    kernel versions?
    However, grub2-efi does not put the kernel in the EFI partition. So using multiple kernels won't affect how much EFI space is needed.

Blog Entries

Default Re: openSUSE/Windows8 dual boot installation Questions for Secure Boot, UEFI and GPT

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    If you install opensuse the right way, then the boot code will go in an EFI partition, not on any boot sector. My advice is to create a second small EFI partition for that. The evidence I have seen is that when you share an EFI partition with Windows, there can be frustration (Windows does not play nice). In my case, I added a second hard drive and put the additional EFI partition there. I have also experimented with a second EFI partition on the first drive, and that also works. A size of 100M would be sufficient.

The partition "/boot/efi" would be the EFI partition that you use. It is formatted vfat, and given the partition type code for EFI. Use grub2-efi for booting. Be sure to check the "secure boot" box on the booting install window.
    My current plan is to disable secure boot, but still enable the secure boot flag (?) in the openSUSE installer.

For the /boot/efi ~100MB partition, my assumption is I will need to custom create that with the openSUSE installer, as it is not created by default ?

I still have lots of time (just under 2 months) before I pick up my Ultrabook. I ordered it last weekend and it should be delivered to my sister's place this week. But my sister's place is a continent away, and I don't traverse oceans that often, so it will be some time before I obtain and install openSUSE-12.3 on that device (probably in the mid-June to mid-July timeframe). In typical oldcpu over preparation fashion, that should hopefully give me enough time to learn this, and read/learn off of other's problems and successes such that I am in better shape (from a knowledge perspective) when my turn to install openSUSE on that Secure-Boot/UEFI/GPT fitted Ultrabook comes.

My current plan is to disable secure boot, but still enable the secure boot flag (?) in the openSUSE installer.
    "Secure boot" flag in YaST2 does two things
    1. it arranges for shim to be actual bootloader. shim will verify signature and load grub2.
    2. it makes grub2 to use different loader (linuxefi) to start kernel. This loader verifies signature of kernel and initrd before starting them using interface provided by shim

If secure boot is disabled in firmware, in principle it should be transparent - but the problem is, linuxefi works only with kernel that supports EFI stub. It is relatively new so you may not be able to load older systems. Also it is using slightly different boot protocol (e.g. I'm not sure that you can even pass video parameters into kernel).

So I would not enable Secure Boot in YaST2 unless you actually are using secure boot.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by arvidjaar View Post
    So I would not enable Secure Boot in YaST2 unless you actually are using secure boot.
    Thats good to know. I had thought I had read a recommendation otherwise, but when I went surfing again for that contrary recommendation, I could not find such an otherwise suggestion - causing me to believe my recollection is faulty (another dyslexic oldcpu recollection).

Hi !

Referring to your 1st posting:

My hope is to install openSUSE-12.3 in a dual boot with Windows8 using an external USB DVD drive.
    This is a quite important question, I think.

One the one hand, as far as I read, openSUSE 12.3 should be able to install under 'secure boot'.

On the other hand, I as well read that booting from USB devices is disabled booting in 'secure boot' mode.

Until present I couldn't resolve the contradictions involved.

Maybe because I don't have a win8 system for trial.

Yours
    Mike

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ratzi View Post
    On the other hand, I as well read that booting from USB devices is disabled booting in 'secure boot' mode.
    This can only be determined by trying and seeing what happens.

In my case, I copied the install dvd iso to a usb (using "dd_rescue"). I was able to boot and install with secure boot enabled.

I have not tried with a USB connected DVD device. In any case, implentations of the UEFI firmware vary between manufacturers. So it is not at all certain what will work.

Quote Originally Posted by ratzi View Post
    One the one hand, as far as I read, openSUSE 12.3 should be able to install under 'secure boot'.

Until present I couldn't resolve the contradictions involved.
    Which contradiction? Whether or not allow booting from removable media is decision of your hardware manufacturer. It has nothing to do with whether this or that OS supports secure boot.

Of course, as secure boot allows booting only known good binary, there is no need to block removable media. But apparently some vendors try to be holier than pope ...

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast