Another Nvidia good new problem...

Installed openSUSE 12.3 64 bit, willing to install Nvidia drivers since my laptop has a Nvidia GeForce 8600m GT. Added repository and I find that there’s now a G03 aside G02 and G01. Great, now what should I go for, G02 or G03?

Good thing Nouveau doesn’t crash now, as it nastily did back on 12.2…

Thanks.

When you added the repo and open software manager
Which does it add by default (probably 03?) If it does, that’s fine

I don’t know what you mean by “highlighted by default”. Mine doesn’t do that AT ALL.

Tried G03, rebooted, and JUST BLACK OR WHITE SCREEN!!

What the **** is going on with this suse release!!???

W T F !?

I tried by going to console with Ctrl + Alt + F2, removed the 3 G03 installed packages (just the 3 main ones, I wasn’t able to trace all other dependencies), installed G02 and SAME ******* RESULT!!

Seriously, this is the first time in my Linux life I’ve had that much nasty problems, now I’m doing yet another annoying clean install…

And --with all my apologies to mr Caf who has endured me for a long time–, from what I’m seeing, I’m starting to think a relatively crappy opensuse release was released and no one will help, at least not in the correct way…

So far with every install with nvidia
I add the repo
Open Software Manager and the nvidia packages are added in

But FYI: If in doubt use 02

Something was up when I installed on my main box, but that was a week before release and I ended up using this repo
Index of /repositories/home:/Lord_LT:/drivers/openSUSE_12.3

You don’t need to re-install you know

I don’t know if that happens on KDE (see my signature to know what I’m using). Could you post a screnshot?
Because in my case, I added the nvidia repo (the ftp one I’ve always used), opened Software Manager, browsed for the nvidia repo and there was nothing highlighted, selected, added… just a list of the available packages ready to be selected.

Did you read my entire posts? I tried G02 as well!!

Look, Mr Caf, I haven’t still re-installed, though I know I must do things with the console because there’s no ther way. I think what I could try is removing the current nvidia repo, adding the one you suggest and installing those nvidia packages. Can you guide me to do all of that, even if it’s via PM? Because the first nvidia packages installation also downloaded I don’t know how many other dependencies, and I don’t know what to do about them…

And finally, the nvidia packages in your suggested repo seem exactly the same as the ftp repo. Why would they work differently?

(Just as a little question, please don’t feel offended, it’s not my intention and I apologize beforehand. Do you actually read the posts of a thread entirely? Or do you get tired?)

According to the NVIDIA Homepage, both G02 and G03 drivers should work for you.

But there is a problem regarding the nvidia driver in 12.3:
You have to manually add your user to the “video” group to make direct rendering work. See the Release Notes, chapter 2.3.
Please try that and see if it fixes your problem…

I didn’t have to do that

I just did console login and started yast
Let me move machines

Did you upgrade from 12.2? Then your user already was in the “video” group… Only fresh installs are affexted by this.
Also, KDE should work fine without direct rendering but it seems GNOME only shows a black screen then.

Btw. here’s the bugreport:
https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=808319
Looks like a fix is coming soon via online updates…

Could you post a screnshot?
Of what exactly?

Clean install .

Well, then either you don’t have direct rendering (as I said, KDE should work fine without it) or you did get added to the “video” group somehow…

What output do you get if you type the following commands in a terminal?

groups
glxinfo | grep direct

(you may have to install the package “Mesa-demo-x” for the second one)

On 2013-04-04 07:56, F style wrote:
> And --with all my apologies to mr Caf who has endured me for a long
> time–, from what I’m seeing, I’m starting to think a relatively crappy
> opensuse release was released and no one will help, at least not in the
> correct way…

Please consider that we are users helping users; we are not the people
that created the distribution.

The problems that people installing the distro are having just after
release are also new to the volunteer helpers. Until these volunteers
learn what to do by trial and error of the people doing the
installations, they can not give you exact and correct info…

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.1 x86_64 “Asparagus” at Telcontar)

users

glxinfo | grep direct

produced nothing

So you’re not in the video group, which means, if you are using the proprietary nvidia driver, direct rendering WILL NOT work.
This is needed mostly for 3D stuff (and GNOME3 apparently does not work without it).
So, you should add your user to the “video” group, as per the Release Notes, to make the nvidia driver work correctly.
Or, if you don’t really have problems at the moment, you can just wait for the online update… (should be available in a week or so)

glxinfo | grep direct

produced nothing

Then you don’t have glxinfo installed. It’s in the package “Mesa-demo-x”.

I’ll have to check that later
But I know desktop effects will toggle on no problem (I don’t use it most of the time, it’s a production machine)

Installed and got

glxinfo | grep directNVIDIA: could not open the device file /dev/nvidiactl (Permission denied).
direct rendering: No (If you want to find out why, try setting LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose)

Yeah, that’s exactly what the Release Notes entry and the bug report I linked to is about…
If you would try to run GNOME, you would likely also just get a black screen like the OP does.

Adding your user to the “video” group should fix that. (and the glxinfo line should return “direct rendering: Yes” then)
Anyway, if you’re satisfied with your system, you don’t need to do this… (and it will be resolved by an online update anyway)

But I really believe the OP’s issue would be solved by that.

There’s little reason to chime in supporting good advice, but I can confirm that I’ve seen that very message, and adding my user to the “video” group resolved it.

@Wolfi323:
Please help me…
In the release notes it’s said that to add my user I have to do this as root:

usermod -a -G video (my_user_name)

But when? Beofre or after installing the nvidia driver? I’ve done a clean installation again.