Thread: TightVNC from Windows 7 to openSUSE 12.2, several problems especially higher resolutions

Question TightVNC from Windows 7 to openSUSE 12.2, several problems especially higher resolutions

This post is about connecting to an openSUSE box from Windows. My apologies in advance if the problem ends up being on the Windows side, but I could really use the help. I haven't had any replies in the tightVNC forum.

I'm using TightVNC viewer 2.6.4 (installed without server) on Windows 7, running on a Sony Vaio Z. This laptop uses a different graphics card depending on whether it is attached to its docking station. I'm connecting to the tightvnc 1.3.10-8.1.4 that comes with openSUSE-12.2-1.6, running on a Dell rack server. I haven't changed any of the server's VNC configuration, except to add an additional server command at 5904 for 1920x1200 resolution.

It works fantastically well when it is working. But I am having several problems connecting. I'm not able to find any web information about these issues, so I'm guessing they are specific to my installation. None of these problems occur with the RealVNC viewer (which works pretty well but is slower, looks worse, and disconnects periodically). Here they are:

* Using Tight encoding causes an unreadable image. Repainted areas appear as bluish speckled rectangles. Hextile works fine. I've tried turning off various encoding parameters in the client options, with no change. The problems occur with both graphics cards.

* I have different server commands on ports 5901, 5902 and 5903 to provide different resolutions, which is the default configuration. The viewer can only connect at 1024x768, on 5901 (:1). Attempts to connect at higher resolutions result in the message "Pseudo encoding <nn...nn> not supported" where <nn...nn> is some number -- very often -128, but sometimes an eight digit number. I changed the server command for :2 to 1024x768 and it then connects properly, so it is the resolution rather than the display number that is the problem.

* Once that error occurs once, the viewer will seldom (if ever) connect at all, even at 1024x768. The same error as above is produced. Rebooting Windows 7 clears that problem.

When it does connect, as I mentioned, it works very well. However, when disconnecting, it produces one of these messages chosen at random:

"Connection gracefully closed by host."
    "Failed to send data to socket."
    "Failed to recv data from socket."

The "pseudo encoding..." error is the showstopper for me. I would like very much to connect at 1920x1200, my display resolution.

I'd be grateful for any new directions. Be gentle, I'm fairly new at Linux. Thanks,

Derry

Blog Entries

Smile Re: TightVNC from Windows 7 to openSUSE 12.2, several problems especially higher resolutions

Quote Originally Posted by DKabcenell View Post
    This post is about connecting to an openSUSE box from Windows. My apologies in advance if the problem ends up being on the Windows side, but I could really use the help. I haven't had any replies in the tightVNC forum.

I'm using TightVNC viewer 2.6.4 (installed without server) on Windows 7, running on a Sony Vaio Z. This laptop uses a different graphics card depending on whether it is attached to its docking station. I'm connecting to the tightvnc 1.3.10-8.1.4 that comes with openSUSE-12.2-1.6, running on a Dell rack server. I haven't changed any of the server's VNC configuration, except to add an additional server command at 5904 for 1920x1200 resolution.

It works fantastically well when it is working. But I am having several problems connecting. I'm not able to find any web information about these issues, so I'm guessing they are specific to my installation. None of these problems occur with the RealVNC viewer (which works pretty well but is slower, looks worse, and disconnects periodically). Here they are:

* Using Tight encoding causes an unreadable image. Repainted areas appear as bluish speckled rectangles. Hextile works fine. I've tried turning off various encoding parameters in the client options, with no change. The problems occur with both graphics cards.

* I have different server commands on ports 5901, 5902 and 5903 to provide different resolutions, which is the default configuration. The viewer can only connect at 1024x768, on 5901 (:1). Attempts to connect at higher resolutions result in the message "Pseudo encoding <nn...nn> not supported" where <nn...nn> is some number -- very often -128, but sometimes an eight digit number. I changed the server command for :2 to 1024x768 and it then connects properly, so it is the resolution rather than the display number that is the problem.

* Once that error occurs once, the viewer will seldom (if ever) connect at all, even at 1024x768. The same error as above is produced. Rebooting Windows 7 clears that problem.

When it does connect, as I mentioned, it works very well. However, when disconnecting, it produces one of these messages chosen at random:

"Connection gracefully closed by host."
    "Failed to send data to socket."
    "Failed to recv data from socket."

The "pseudo encoding..." error is the showstopper for me. I would like very much to connect at 1920x1200, my display resolution.

I'd be grateful for any new directions. Be gentle, I'm fairly new at Linux. Thanks,

Derry
    So I was able to use Tightvnc between Windows 8 and openSUSE, but I did not use Tightvnc on the openSUSE side. Have a look here: How To Use VNC/Remmina to Remote Control an openSUSE 12.3 KDE Desktop - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

I am no expert using Tightvnc, but you got to get the openSUSE side right as well as the Windows side.

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas