Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 29

Thread: SUSE 12.3 - How to auto start services...?

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Default SUSE 12.3 - How to auto start services...?

    I read that SysV has been replaced by systemd. And that the /etc/init.d structure is now no longer is active.
    So how do I get the same effect that I saw in 12.2 with YaST | System | System Services (Runlevel)?

    If I enabled nfs or xinetd or ddclient or whatever, when I rebooted, these services were up and running for me.
    Now, when I enable the service, sure enough they start. But after a reboot, they are no longer running.

    Days of research have yet to reveal the required technique! Can anyone help?

    Best regards, Martin

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    5,037

    Default Re: SUSE 12.3 - How to auto start services...?

    Which services exactly could not be enabled?

  3. #3

    Default Re: SUSE 12.3 - How to auto start services...?

    Quote Originally Posted by arvidjaar View Post
    Which services exactly could not be enabled?
    The three quoted above (at least).

    Regards,

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    5,037

    Default Re: SUSE 12.3 - How to auto start services...?

    Quote Originally Posted by martinprowe View Post
    The three quoted above (at least).
    All of them are legacy sysvinit scripts, and indeed YaST2 apparently cannot manage them. You can use "systemctl enable xinetd.service" (should work for both native and legacy services) or directly "chkconfig xinetd on".

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: SUSE 12.3 - How to auto start services...?

    On 2013-03-30 17:26, martinprowe wrote:

    > If I enabled nfs or xinetd or ddclient or whatever, when I rebooted,
    > these services were up and running for me.
    > Now, when I enable the service, sure enough they start. But after a
    > reboot, they are no longer running.
    >
    > Days of research have yet to reveal the required technique! Can
    > anyone help?


    I should not be surprised... YaST is broken. Systemd has come, Yast
    developers are a scarce resource, and modules are not working any more
    as a result :-/

    I understand that you have to use "systemadm" now.

    View this
    thread here
    A post by jdmcdaniel3 explains it.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.1 x86_64 "Asparagus" at Telcontar)

  6. #6

    Default Re: SUSE 12.3 - How to auto start services...?

    Quote Originally Posted by robin_listas View Post
    I understand that you have to use "systemadm" now.

    View this
    thread here
    A post by jdmcdaniel3 explains it.
    Yes, I have read that. And tried systemadm...

    However, there is only (that I can find) the START | STOP | RESTART buttons. Nowhere can I find a load at startup type setting!
    I know its early days but system-ui seems a little .... er... half finished?

    Regards, Martin

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: SUSE 12.3 - How to auto start services...?

    On 2013-03-30 18:16, martinprowe wrote:

    > Yes, I have read that. And tried systemadm...
    >
    > However, there is only (that I can find) the START | STOP | RESTART
    > buttons. Nowhere can I find a load at startup type setting!
    > I know its early days but system-ui seems a little .... er... half
    > finished?


    Oh :-(

    As I have not 12.3 running (only a test partition on the laptop) I did
    not try that myself.

    Did you try if

    Code:
    chkconfig nfs
    chkconfig nfs on
    works? They said it would be maintained.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.1 x86_64 "Asparagus" at Telcontar)

  8. #8

    Default Re: SUSE 12.3 - How to auto start services...?


    Code:
    chkconfig nfs on
    works?
    Yep. That does it for me! Thanks everyone.

    They said it would be maintained.
    Just out of curiosity. Who are "they"?

    Regards, Martin

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: SUSE 12.3 - How to auto start services...?

    On 2013-03-30 20:46, martinprowe wrote:

    >> They said it would be maintained.

    >
    > Just out of curiosity. Who are "they"?


    Heh! Good question.

    It was a post from Kulow, IIRC. But I could be mistaken and be someone
    else from SUSE.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.1 x86_64 "Asparagus" at Telcontar)

  10. #10

    Default Re: SUSE 12.3 - How to auto start services...?

    So what is the new method of starting a service at boot that isn't really a service?

    I am running mediatomb on my desktop (openSUSE 12.3) to stream my movies and songs over to my ps3. I can start mediatomb up no problem with either /etc/init.d/mediatomb start, or I can use systemctl start mediatomb. However when I reboot the program isn't running and I have to drop to a terminal and start it by hand.
    I've used chkconfig to set mediatomb to on but for some reason it isn't working either.

    Is this more an issue with the program or is there something in the way the os is starting that is causing it to misfire and not catch the program along the way?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •