Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Google Earth 7

Default Re: Google Earth 7

Hello,
    Now it is possible to run Google Earth 7.1 (checked with 7.1.2.2041 64 bit) on openSUSE 13.1, using the system's native QT libraries instead of GE's bundled one. This solves most of the crash problems related to the QT libraries, and also the Panoramio empty frames problem, and is pretty stable (but see the comments at the end). It also results in a great performance of GE, maybe because the bundled QT libraries are compiled for "generic" architecture instead of x86_64.

There can still be problems probably related to 3D handling in some display drivers. (In my tests I could consistently crash the 3D driver of VirtualBox 4.3.4.)
    I tested it on QEMU-KVM, with an up to date openSUSE 13.1 system using Gnome and KDE. On Gnome it works perfectly. On KDE the Panoramio frames misbehave (but still usable using right click). This is so on all the distributions that I tested. I don't know if this is a KDE or Xorg-server bug.

BTW, I already posted a similar solution (using the native QT libraries) for Fedora 19/20 and for Gentoo. On other distributions the native QT libraries are still not up to date with the needed patches, especially the one that is needed to prevent a crash on search (I tested it on Debian 7/testing/sid, AltLinux 7.0.1, Mageia 3/4, or Ubuntu 12/13/14 and latest ArchLinux). Of course this can be expected to be improved. For the said distributions for now one can use my recompiled libraries (I posted links in productforums.google.com).

I didn't test this solution on 32bit installations.

GE 7.1 for openSUSE 13.1 with native QT libraries HOWTO
    Notes:
    The rpmrebuild can be done from your user.
    The google-earth command must be invoked from your user (never superuser).
    The rest of installation commands detailed below should be done from superuser.

1. You need the following up to date packages installed in your system:
    1A. libfreeimage3 (currently 3.15.4-3.2)
    1B. libqt4-x11 (currently 4.8.5-5.6.1)
    1C. libqt4 (currently 4.8.5-5.6.1)
    1D. libQtWebKit4 (currently 4.8.5+2.3.3-2.6.1)
    1E. libqt4-devel (can be removed after this installation, see below)
    1F: gcc-c++ (can be removed after this installation, but it is a good idea to leave it...)

Note that libfreeimage3 is in the games repository. If you don't have it (check with 'zypper lr'), you can add it as follows:
    Code:
    zypper ar -f http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/games/openSUSE_13.1/ games
    Install these packages as follows (some may already be installed):
    Code:
    zypper install libfreeimage3 libqt4-x11 libqt4 libQtWebKit4 libqt4-devel gcc-c++
    2. Install the GE 7.1 64 bit rpm package from Google's download site (currently 7.1.2.2041).
    Code:
    zypper install google-earth-stable_current_x86_64.rpm
    3. In GE's running directory /opt/google/earth/free, remove the 4 original libQt* libraries:
    Code:
    cd /opt/google/earth/free
    mkdir bundled-qtlib
    mv libQt* bundled-qtlib/
    Similarly you can remove plugins/imageformats/*, but anyway they are not going to be used.

4. If you invoke googleearth now, you will get the known error:
    ./googleearth-bin: symbol lookup error: ./libbase.so: undefined symbol: _Z34QBaAsicAtomicInt_fetchAndAddOrderedPVii

The missing function can be generated as follows:
    4A. Create a file (I called it baifaao.cpp) with this content:
    Code:
    /* amirpli 2013/11/28 */
    #include <QtCore/QAtomicInt>
    extern "C" {
            int _Z34QBasicAtomicInt_fetchAndAddOrderedPVii(QAtomicInt *a, int b) {
                    return a->fetchAndAddOrdered(b);
            }
    }
    4B. Compile it and create the shim library with:
    Code:
    gcc -I/usr/include -O3 -fPIC --shared baifaao.cpp -o baifaao.so
    Put baifaao.so in the directory /opt/google/earth/free .

5. In the file googleearth (in the directory /opt/google/earth/free), add the following line, e.g. before the line starting with LD_LIBRARY_PATH:
    Code:
    export LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib64/libfreeimage.so.3:/opt/google/earth/free/baifaao.so
    6. I didn't test if the locale bug in the QT libs is patched (may cause a major coordinate shift if the locale is not en_US.UTF-8). If it is still present with your locale, add also:
    Code:
    export LC_NUMERIC=en_US.UTF-8
    7. You may remove libqt4-devel along with the ~100 packages that are installed with it (saving 100+ MB):
    Code:
    zypper remove -u libqt4-devel
    (Similarly you can remove the gcc compilers if you must save space and don't need them.)

8. Now try running (from your user - see comment 1):
    Code:
    google-earth
    Enjoy!

Comments:
    1. Don't try to invoke googleearth as superuser (unless this is a login / su -l, but there is no point in that anyway).
    Else the files GE writes in your home directory may get owned by root, and GE will then malfunction when you invoke it from your user.
    2. If you had a previous installation of GE, and now encounter a problem like no Panoramio icons, clear GE's cache.
    3. The library preload happens also for programs invoked from GE (e.g. if you use the external browser option).
    I didn't encounter a real problem in that, but if needed it can be prevented by using a relative path for the preloaded libraries.
    4. I didn't check here using the flash plugin for the YouTube layer. But I guess almost no one uses this layer now since Google removed it from the menu and the gallery.
    5. Clicking on Tools->Options->3D Font->Fonts->Choose 3D Font still crashes GE.
    6. There are still QtWebKit related crashes when clicking on pictures in "Places" icones (camera and square-inside-square icones) using the internal browser.
    7. There is an annoying "selection" problem that often colors the screen. A click or mouse movement may sometimes temporarily clear it, especially if done outside this selection. A better solution is needed. (For some reason this bug doesn't exist when my recompiled libraries are used.)

Quote Originally Posted by amirpli View Post
    GE 7.1 for openSUSE 13.1 with native QT libraries HOWTO
    Notes:
    The rpmrebuild can be done from your user.
    This note should be ignored - there is no rpmrebuild in this HOWTO (not needed for openSUSE).

Thank You.

I followed the directions in post #51 and now have a working Google-Earth. On a fresh 13.1 install.

aha! amarpli himself has spoken
    Installing now.
    The old yet working great Intel i5 4590 (Haswell), MSI B85M-G43, MSI GTX750Ti, Leap 15.2, Gnome 3.36 on 120GB SSD

This note should be ignored - there is no rpmrebuild in this HOWTO (not needed for openSUSE).
    amirpli, installed GE and did all the instruction as per your post, I am getting the panoramio perfectly except the land image is missing as I can sea oceans and country border only. Am I missing something here?
    The old yet working great Intel i5 4590 (Haswell), MSI B85M-G43, MSI GTX750Ti, Leap 15.2, Gnome 3.36 on 120GB SSD

Quote Originally Posted by powerw00t View Post
    amirpli, installed GE and did all the instruction as per your post, I am getting the panoramio perfectly except the land image is missing as I can sea oceans and country border only. Am I missing something here?
    Hello powerw00t,
    Here are some suggestions on how to start to debug this problem.

If this is not a fresh install of GE, try first to clean up old stuff from your account (first quit from GE):
    Code:
    cd
    mv .config/Trolltech.conf{,.old}
    mv .config/Google{,.old}
    mv .googleearth{,.old}
    (If you have there valuable things, like kml files that you would like to preserve, or important setup you changed directly in the files, make sure to move these things back after all is fine.)

I suppose you have only one location in which GE is installed. If not, check that /usr/bin/google-earth points to the correct location:
    Code:
    ls -l /usr/bin/google-earth
    Also inspect it for the correctness of the new export LD_PRELOAD:
    Code:
    less +G /usr/bin/google-earth
    Try now (from your account of course, never from root):
    Code:
    google-earth
    If it is still bad, please post the terminal output of google-earth, maybe it contains a hint.
    Also, add the output of this rpm command, if it outputs different versions than what I mentioned in section (1) of my post:
    Code:
    rpm -q libfreeimage3 libqt4-x11 libqt4 libQtWebKit4
    In addition, please post the result of the following ldd (one long line - if you use csh/tcsh add the command env before LD_PRELOAD):
    Code:
    LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib64/libfreeimage.so.3:/opt/google/earth/free/baifaao.so LD_LIBRARY_PATH=. ldd -v ./googleearth-bin

@amirpli,

hi,

installed as directed,
    photos, 360°, (selection with middle mouse button),
    street view, find, directions: all function ok

first impressions
    - sluggish/ stutters at times
    - higher cpu usage
    - higher main and swap memory used (2GB RAM installed)
    - ge continued to run after closing window, one cpu remained at 100%
    -- had to use kill to stop,
    - pc remained sluggish until reboot

comparison is between, google-earth-stable-7.1.2.2041-0.x86_64,
    without and with modified libraries :-
    libQtCore.so.4 libQtGui.so.4 libQtNetwork.so.4 libQtWebKit.so.4

will try debug per post#56 later

cheers

@amirpli,

hi again,

marked improvement in performance after renaming user files as suggested

thx, will stay with this configuration

cheers

Hello powerw00t,
    Here are some suggestions on how to start to debug this problem.

If this is not a fresh install of GE, try first to clean up old stuff from your account (first quit from GE):
    Code:
    cd
    mv .config/Trolltech.conf{,.old}
    mv .config/Google{,.old}
    mv .googleearth{,.old}
    (If you have there valuable things, like kml files that you would like to preserve, or important setup you changed directly in the files, make sure to move these things back after all is fine.)

I suppose you have only one location in which GE is installed. If not, check that /usr/bin/google-earth points to the correct location:
    Code:
    ls -l /usr/bin/google-earth
    Also inspect it for the correctness of the new export LD_PRELOAD:
    Code:
    less +G /usr/bin/google-earth
    Try now (from your account of course, never from root):
    Code:
    google-earth
    If it is still bad, please post the terminal output of google-earth, maybe it contains a hint.
    Also, add the output of this rpm command, if it outputs different versions than what I mentioned in section (1) of my post:
    Code:
    rpm -q libfreeimage3 libqt4-x11 libqt4 libQtWebKit4
    In addition, please post the result of the following ldd (one long line - if you use csh/tcsh add the command env before LD_PRELOAD):
    Code:
    LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib64/libfreeimage.so.3:/opt/google/earth/free/baifaao.so LD_LIBRARY_PATH=. ldd -v ./googleearth-bin
    ahh, now I see what made my land imaging is missing only the border outline viewable, the culprit is nvidia driver. My GE has problem with the latest nvidia 331.20 but working after downgrade to 319.76. Here's the screenshots below:-

Nvidia 331.20

and below is the Nvidia 319.76

Going to say the amirpli's workaround really work in getting back our Panoramio function, working very well with my current Gnome. I don't see any CPU spikes, it only took about less than 2% of it.

My current Panoramio now

Hello amirpli,
    Thank you for this elegant solution to make google-earth run with openSuse 13.1.
    However, I still have a problem using the newer versions of google-earth: Whenever I click into a message box, the box gets blank. This is particularly annoying when there is the option of image selection: Instead of displaying the selected image, the box is blank. There is a workaround - right click and open the link - , but this gets rather tedious.
    Do you also have a solution to this?
    Regards

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast