Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: openSUSE 12.3: Suspend Requires Root Permission

Default Re: openSUSE 12.3: Suspend Requires Root Permission

Sorry, that was misleading. Hibernating itself works nicely, but I have to give the root password again. Interestingly this happened after several times hibernating the laptop without root password and switching it on again.

I'm also sure there's something wrong with polkit (or perhaps some of the settings provided by openSuSe 12.3). Here's the result of rpm -qi:

hees@lap-hees:~/tmp> rpm -qi polkit
    Name : polkit
    Version : 0.110
    Release : 2.2.1
    Architecture: x86_64
    Install Date: Wed 13 Mar 2013 15:39:18 CET
    Group : System/Libraries
    Size : 243236
    License : LGPL-2.1+
    Signature : RSA/SHA256, Tue 19 Feb 2013 13:51:20 CET, Key ID b88b2fd43dbdc284
    Source RPM : polkit-0.110-2.2.1.src.rpm
    Build Date : Tue 19 Feb 2013 13:50:58 CET
    Build Host : build09
    Relocations : (not relocatable)
    Packager : openSUSE:Submitting bug reports - openSUSE
    Vendor : openSUSE
    URL : PolicyKit
    Summary : PolicyKit Authorization Framework
    Description :
    PolicyKit is a toolkit for defining and handling authorizations.
    It is used for allowing unprivileged processes to speak to privileged
    processes.
    Distribution: openSUSE 12.3

Default Re: openSUSE 12.3: Suspend Requires Root Permission

Quote Originally Posted by vanhees71 View Post
    Sorry, that was misleading. Hibernating itself works nicely, but I have to give the root password again. Interestingly this happened after several times hibernating the laptop without root password and switching it on again.
    OK, just to clarify: that sudo asks for the password again has absolutely _nothing_ to do with the fact that "systemctl hibernate" doesn't work or the hibernate button in KDE asks for the root password.

sudo is a thing of its own, it has absolutely no idea that polkit even exists.

Why you suddenly have to enter the root password again is strange though. Either you have an error in your sudoers file, or you are running pm-suspend incorrectly (you have to run it with the exact same line as in your sudoers file, so "sudo /usr/sbin/pm-suspend").
    And just to be sure you know about that: sudo remembers the password for a while and doesn't ask again, so you may have only been _thinking_ it works, where in fact it didn't...

I'm also sure there's something wrong with polkit (or perhaps some of the settings provided by openSuSe 12.3).
    No, the default settings are ok. Otherwise _everybody_ would have this problem, don't you think?

Here's the result of rpm -qi:
    That's ok. The reason I was asking for this, was your "Access denied" error when running "systemctl hibernate". This could happen if polkit is compiled without systemd support, which it was in earlier openSUSE versions. But you do have the 12.3 version installed which should work fine with systemctl.

And polkit does seem to work on your system, because of your pkaction output from earlier (and all the permissions looked ok).
    So, right now I don't really have an idea, what's causing this.

You said you did a fresh installation. Does that mean you completely wiped out your root partition? Or did you copy over some things (/etc/ f.e.).

Could you please run "systemctl hibernate" again, and then provide the output of "journal -b"? Maybe that provides a clue...
    And just to be sure: you did call "systemctl hibernate" inside a terminal window in your KDE session, right? Or did you switch to a text console by pressing Ctrl+Alt+F1?

And you're saying you have KDE 4.11 installed. But from where, KDE:Release:411 or KDEistro:Factory?
    And where does your "polkit-default-privs" package come from? (there is a newer version in the KDEistro:Factory repo)
    Code:
    rpm -qi polkit-default-privs

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123